Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Golf Thread

Re: 2022 Golf Thre

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Tiger can and will win again. I don’t think he’ll catch Jack, but he’s he’s looking pretty solid after nearly 18 months off and a leg with medal rods in it. Pretty impressive, but expected for him. I doubt he wins this year, but next year looks promising.
    It was huge that he made the cut and played as well as he did. It mad the haters and the stans happy. The haters liked that he didn't do well and the stans loved it because he played relatively well all four days. CBS and ESPN had to be loving all the extra viewers that came from watching him.

As for winning future majors, I think he's done. The bum knee was bad enough but the leg injury is much worse. Not to mention he's pushing 50. Nicklaus won the Masters at 46 and Watson almost won the British at 59. And those are the two (relatively) easiest majors to score well at. Even without those injuries, winning a major in your late 40s is double tough. The networks and the PGA need to figure out what to do when he's not playing full time. IS he going to play the regular tour after 50 or will he go to the Champions tour? Is his body going to be able to withstand the semi-weekly pounding of either tour? Could be he just plays in the majors, a select few events and silly season stuff. That might be the best thing for him and every other party. He avoids the grind of the tour and gets to play in the important events and the made for TV stuff which only lasts one day. When he does play it's going to be like the Masters and be seen as a special event. Watching him finish 45th at the Jabroni Open every week is going to take a lot of the luster off of him and his legacy. He certainly doesn't need the money. His son seems to be interested in playing. He can mentor him and play in 6-7 events a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 Golf Thread

This Greg Norman tour is going to be fascinating to watch. I'm wondering if there will someday be a Netflix documentary about what a debacle it turned out to be similar to the FYRE deal. Personally, I hope it works out. That's a lot of money, and the more competition the better.

Betting on Tiger Woods is akin to giving Vegas free money. He may make it back eventually, but it is crystal clear that he is nowhere near that now. He shot 74 today, and is currently 9 strokes in back of the leader.

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-20-2022)

Norman looks great in those "vitamin" commercials. He looks like he's in the best shape of his life.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Kudos to Tiger for battling back, and making the cut.

8. Likes:

Chip R (05-23-2022),Redhook (05-20-2022)

I never fully appreciated Southern Hills until this week. That course is awesome. Fair, tough and lots of risk reward. It should be an entertaining weekend especially with this front moving in (89 in Denver yesterday. Snow today…lol).
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Today might go down as one of the highest scoring rounds in major history. Brutal weather making the course near-impossible. Tiger is clearly laboring and will do well to break 82.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Today might go down as one of the highest scoring rounds in major history. Brutal weather making the course near-impossible. Tiger is clearly laboring and will do well to break 82.
    Somehow, Webb Simpson carded a 65. he stands at -1. It will be curious to see where that puts him by the end of the third round.

Exciting finish to the PGA with Pereira putting it in the drink on 18. Door is open for JT to win it in a playoff.

My goodness, Pereira has gone Jean Van de Velde on the 72nd.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Rory has gotta be kicking himself. He could have easily posted -6 or -7. He missed so many 10 footers for birdie today. JT didn't even play that great (till the very end), but the lead just fell to him.

Feel bad for the big Chilean Mito. He played great but needed a better caddy at the end. Couple of shots he should have never attempted under the circumstances. Pressure just got the best of him and didn't have a caddy to correct bad decisions.

Other takeaways...

JT is my favorite golfer on the planet by a mile. His ability and willingness to hit the shot that's needed is so fun to watch. Just a shotmaker. Old school game for the 29 year old.

I think Tiger's comeback is officially successful. He's shown his body can play competitive pro golf on the world's hardest setups. He had a couple of iron pulls that could have been the leg, but otherwise he was fine. His game is just really rusty. Dialed in Tiger is hole high with approaches, this Tiger is 20 yards in any direction. Can his leg handle the practice required to dial his game in to win tournaments? That's his last hurdle. Cuz even tho he w/d (smart decision), his body can handle 72 holes in 4 days. I don't know that his leg will ever feel strong enough for him to practice and compete at that level.

16. Likes:

Chip R (05-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Rory has gotta be kicking himself. He could have easily posted -6 or -7. He missed so many 10 footers for birdie today. JT didn't even play that great (till the very end), but the lead just fell to him.

Feel bad for the big Chilean Mito. He played great but needed a better caddy at the end. Couple of shots he should have never attempted under the circumstances. Pressure just got the best of him and didn't have a caddy to correct bad decisions.
    Rory played great. He had two long putts lip out….sooooo close. Then, he does what Rory does. He hits his putts way to hard inside 10’. Just hammers them. But, he has to stop putting himself in a position where he needs a 63 on Sunday to have a chance.

Agree 100% on the caddy. He failed Mito. As a former professional caddy (LPGA Tour - 40 events), there’s no way I’d let him hit the clubs he hit on the last two holes. So stupid. But, they’ll both learn. The only problem is the depth of quality golfers is so deep that there’s a good chance he won’t be in that position again. You have to take advantage when you’re there.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

18. Likes:

Stray (05-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Rory played great. He had two long putts lip out….sooooo close. Then, he does what Rory does. He hits his putts way to hard inside 10’. Just hammers them. But, he has to stop putting himself in a position where he needs a 63 on Sunday to have a chance.

Agree 100% on the caddy. He failed Mito. As a former professional caddy (LPGA Tour - 40 events), there’s no way I’d let him hit the clubs he hit on the last two holes. So stupid. But, they’ll both learn. The only problem is the depth of quality golfers is so deep that there’s a good chance he won’t be in that position again. You have to take advantage when you’re there.
    Yeah I felt bad for him for that last reason. Who knows if you’ll ever be in that position again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I think Tiger's comeback is officially successful. He's shown his body can play competitive pro golf on the world's hardest setups. He had a couple of iron pulls that could have been the leg, but otherwise he was fine. His game is just really rusty. Dialed in Tiger is hole high with approaches, this Tiger is 20 yards in any direction. Can his leg handle the practice required to dial his game in to win tournaments? That's his last hurdle. Cuz even tho he w/d (smart decision), his body can handle 72 holes in 4 days. I don't know that his leg will ever feel strong enough for him to practice and compete at that level.
    He's going to forever have problems when it's cold and/or wet. That doesn't bode well for playing in Great Britain. It must have killed him to withdraw from a tournament much less a major. Going back on the tour - even on a semi-regular basis - is going to be more difficult than playing with Charlie down in Florida.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?