Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-9-22 Reds @ Braves 7:20PM

Re: 4-9-22 Reds @ Braves 7:20PM

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm a naysayer and I completely want to be wrong.
    Yep. Same.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The 140 game catcher is as extinct as the 9 inning pitcher. Stephenson sits tonight so Garcia and Vlad can communicate and Stephenson can be back there for Greene tomorrow.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RollyInRaleigh View Post
    At Stephenson’s age, Bench had averaged catching around 141 games per season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. Bill Plummer was but a novelty item. I miss baseball from back then.

6. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (04-09-2022)

“Ironmen” are a thing of the past.

Teams are really digging into the concept of regular rest and how it improves a players/teams overall production.

Could Tyler at least DH tonight? Absolutely that’s a valid argument. I get that.

“But Johnny Bench did it….” is not a valid debate point for me.

8. Likes:

LeatherPants (04-09-2022)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I agree that comparisons to Bench and eras past aren't really valid here. Are we dinging pitchers for not throwing 300 innings per year? Nope. We advance and we learn; it's the NBA is really embracing at this point (to the degree that there are rules about sitting stars for nationally televised games, despite their regular rest regimen), but regular days off really are the best way to maximize performance and reduce injury.

That said: Stephenson at DH tonight? Not so much. When he doesn't catch, I suspect he'll be deployed exclusively against LHP.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (04-09-2022),Ron Madden (04-09-2022),StRedlegs900 (04-09-2022)

In my day, if half the team wasn't drunk or on speed, they might as well forfeit the game.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

podgejeff_ (04-09-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    “Ironmen” are a thing of the past.

Teams are really digging into the concept of regular rest and how it improves a players/teams overall production.

Could Tyler at least DH tonight? Absolutely that’s a valid argument. I get that.

“But Johnny Bench did it….” is not a valid debate point for me.
    I don’t know...Bench is a Hall of Famer with 2 MVP’s. Was consistently an All Star and Gold Glove catcher. “Without change there is no progress but all change is not progress.” I kinda think you play a guy after he was 2-4 with 2 RBI’s. Let him get in a groove. I mean, it’s not like he should be too taxed after 2 games in.

Travis d'Arnaud caught the first two games of the series for the Braves, like Stephenson he is also off tonight.

I might be wrong but I think he had a couple hits too.

15. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-09-2022),RollyInRaleigh (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Travis d'Arnaud caught the first two games of the series for the Braves, like Stephenson he is also off tonight.

I might be wrong but I think he had a couple hits too.
    Makes no sense. I played some upper level baseball. I don’t know of any player who likes sitting after a good game with the stick...Getting in a groove is important...it’s always been important. Bell has a knack for sitting guys when they’re going good. It just makes no sense to me. I won’t argue it any further. I realize most of you guys think my view is totally out of touch.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-09-2022)

When is the game supposed to start? I haven't heard any mention of a delay, yet the listed start time is 7:20.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    When is the game supposed to start? I haven't heard any mention of a delay, yet the listed start time is 7:20.
    The ceremony of the Ring.

20. Likes:

Powel Crosley (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The ceremony of the Ring.
    Why didn't they start that 20 minutes earlier if they were announcing a 7:20 start?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Why didn't they start that 20 minutes earlier if they were announcing a 7:20 start?
    That makes too much sense.

23. Likes:

Boston Red (04-09-2022)

Go Red Legs!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RollyInRaleigh View Post
    Makes no sense. I played some upper level baseball. I don’t know of any player who likes sitting after a good game with the stick...Getting in a groove is important...it’s always been important. Bell has a knack for sitting guys when they’re going good. It just makes no sense to me. I won’t argue it any further. I realize most of you guys think my view is totally out of touch.

Not at all. I'm 68 yrs old haha!
    I also played until I was 22 yrs old and hated to miss even one AB or half inning in the field.

These guys today are a lot bigger, faster, and stronger, and better than I was. With all the money invested in these guys I think it's good and smart to keep them rested and healthy

Turn Off Ads?