Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pham and Moustakas

Re: Pham and Moustakas

When they sent Shogo out they shoud have saved room in the back seat for Moose.

This organization is so good at giving out bad contracts and wasting monies they say they don't have (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

HokieRed (04-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Sure. Let's talk when we're 3-12. Not when we're 2-2 (and in all 4 games) to start the season, on the road, against the defending world champs.
    I'm just tuning back in -- we been doing ok since then?

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Mike Moustakas has a right arm injury, David Bell said.
    He's expected to be in the lineup on Tuesday.
    A decision on Jonathan India will be made before Tuesday's game

I wonder if this is prelude to putting Moustakas on the long term IL. Any news on a return date for Solano?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When they sent Shogo out they shoud have saved room in the back seat for Moose.

This organization is so good at giving out bad contracts and wasting monies they say they don't have (lol).
    Contracts like both of those are too risky going forward. Contracts for players out of Asia should be a no go. Too much risk for the expense IMO. They need to steer clear of one dimensional players like Moose too. If that dimension goes, it’s all wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Contracts like both of those are too risky going forward. Contracts for players out of Asia should be a no go. Too much risk for the expense IMO. They need to steer clear of one dimensional players like Moose too. If that dimension goes, it’s all wasted money.
    You can’t just make a blanket statement of not going after Asian players. They need to widen the player pool, not restrict it.

9. Likes:

boognish (04-19-2022),Indymoon (04-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You can’t just make a blanket statement of not going after Asian players. They need to widen the player pool, not restrict it.
    95% of the time the risk to reward isn’t there. You’ll be millions deep for MLB payroll for guys that could very easily turn out to be AAA players. To me, if you’re running on a tight budget, that money is better spent on known commodity FA with MLB experience.

11. Likes:

mth123 (04-19-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-19-2022),texasdave (04-19-2022)

Mike Moustakas could have been described as a known commodity FA with MLB experience. That's no guarantee of anything. Probably a worse signing even than Milton was and utterly forseeable--as Shogo should have been. First thing they need to avoid is incompetence in the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Mike Moustakas could have been described as a known commodity FA with MLB experience. That's no guarantee of anything. Probably a worse signing even than Milton was and utterly forseeable--as Shogo should have been. First thing they need to avoid is incompetence in the FO.
    He was. I liked it at the time, but if the Reds are going to operate on a budget, you need to make better calls about your known quantities too. His only great skill was power. Defense was passable. OBP was kinda blah. If you’re spending precious FA money get elite OBP skills that likely won’t erode if you get a one dimensional guy (unless we’re talking 50+ Homers year in and year out.) or get multi dimensional guys.

95% of the time the risk to reward isn’t there. You’ll be millions deep for MLB payroll for guys that could very easily turn out to be AAA players. To me, if you’re running on a tight budget, that money is better spent on known commodity FA with MLB experience.
    Giving up on an entire continent because of one bad contract doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-19-2022),HokieRed (04-19-2022)

Giving up on an entire continent because of one bad contract doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.
    It’s not because of that. It’s because of the risk associated with dealing over there. Millions in posting fees then millions for a player that could pretty much just be a minor leaguer isn’t a wise use of money IMO. Spend that money on guys that are far more known quantities. And spend it wisely within that market.

Tommy Pham had three hits last night, half of all Reds’ hits, including a homer and double. Does his name come off this thread?

Reds got one run in another loss last night. Moose didn’t play. Does his name come off this thread?

I understand the frustration with guys having bad starts. And Moose costs a lot of money. While I think he will come around, I’ve always disliked the singling out of one or two players on bad Reds teams - happens on most message boards in all sports.

Fact is that this teams’ offense has been pathetic and there really are very few exceptions to that.

IMO this is turning into a pure rebuilding year, I can’t see them competing in 2022, though the stats and record will obviously improve. But it’s a team-wide, systemic issue. It’s not because of Pham or Moose or any other single player.

It’s not because of that. It’s because of the risk associated with dealing over there. Millions in posting fees then millions for a player that could pretty much just be a minor leaguer isn’t a wise use of money IMO. Spend that money on guys that are far more known quantities. And spend it wisely within that market.
    Just like everything else, it should depend on the player and the price. Making a blanket statement like this is just foolish.

But they aren't drafting those guys. They are taking guys who are basically playing Double A level ball and giving them FA money. The failure rate is too high. For every Ichiro or Ohtani, there are 10 guys like Shogo who end up being similar to guys you can get as minor league FA for cheap.

To me, its too much guaranteed, bidding war money for complete unknowns. If they could do say a signing bonus in the $5 to $10 Million range and then annual salaries commensurate with what other first and second year players make, it would be worth the risk, but giving a guy a multi-year, multi Million guarantee who is more likely to be the next Neftali Soto or Ryan Lamarre seems like a losing game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-19-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But they aren't drafting those guys. They are taking guys who are basically playing Double A level ball and giving them FA money. The failure rate is too high. For every Ichiro or Ohtani, there are 10 guys like Shogo who end up being similar to guys you can get as minor league FA for cheap.

To me, its too much guaranteed, bidding war money for complete unknowns. If they could do say a signing bonus in the $5 to $10 Million range and then annual salaries commensurate with what other first and second year players make, it would be worth the risk, but giving a guy a multi-year, multi Million guarantee who is more likely to be the next Neftali Soto or Ryan Lamarre seems like a losing game.

Just like everything else, it should depend on the player and the price. Making a blanket statement like this is just foolish.

Turn Off Ads?