Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has Moustaukas been the worst position players free agent signing in Reds history?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Has Moustaukas been the worst position players free agent signing in Reds history

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    My point was that at the time of signing, Alf Rod looked to be a complete dud. He turned out to be everything we feared. And the intentional signing limitations cost the Reds in opportunity for the next two seasons.

Moose had questions, but turned into a colossal failure beyond what the skeptics even thought.

In a hindsight view, I agree it’s the worst position player signing by the dollar. But from start to stop, Alf Rod never inspired beyond his glove. I at least got why the Reds signed Moose at the time unlike Rodriguez.

I’m in a bad headspace when it comes to this org so ignore how illogical my contempt for them and their decisions are.
    Moose represents of their few attempts to be a serious major league club and ponying up in an effort to win. It didn’t work out, but it’s played out in a worst case scenario thus far. I still believe it was a worthy gamble.

Alf-Rod as you said obviously sucked from the moment they signed him, and even though it was just 7 million dollars, the opportunity cost of not being able to participate in the international market and putting that money towards someone from that region with real talent was the real kick in the groin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has Moustaukas been the worst position players free agent signing in Reds history

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It’s been a pretty absurd last year or so of people dumping on Moose and saying that he obviously doesn’t give a damn and he let himself get fat and etc etc

He looked normal as ever pre foot injury. After plantar fasciitis, it’s not too shocking that he’s not in the best condition. I dunno what else to say, injuries happen.
    Many sports people have injuries, including lower body injuries. They can still do weight training, swimming, rehab work, and other options. Your diet should change. and you should eat leaner with less fat but keep up the intake. Most sports have dedicated dieticians. Whatever Moose did, it wasn't designed to keep him reasonably physically fit. Giving a guy a pass who looks like he made no effort seems generous.

4. Likes:

wlf WV (04-23-2022)

My point was that at the time of signing, Alf Rod looked to be a complete dud. He turned out to be everything we feared. And the intentional signing limitations cost the Reds in opportunity for the next two seasons.

Moose had questions, but turned into a colossal failure beyond what the skeptics even thought.

In a hindsight view, I agree it’s the worst position player signing by the dollar. But from start to stop, Alf Rod never inspired beyond his glove. I at least got why the Reds signed Moose at the time unlike Rodriguez.

I’m in a bad headspace when it comes to this org so ignore how illogical my contempt for them and their decisions are.
    Except that almost everyone seems to forget that the Reds signed Moustakas to play 2B (which never made any sense to me at all)!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Maybe it was just my body, and as debilitating as PF was to me, it was just as easily controlled with a simple stretching regimen. I'm no Dr, but tightness was my problem, and took a little time, but easily remedied.

It may be different on others, but it makes it hard to be sympathetic.
    May the Lord bless

7. Likes:

fondfoat (04-23-2022)

"hindsight" has a negative connotation, but "hindsight" is exactly what we should use to determine things like "Worst signing in Reds history." it's not about how we felt about the signing at the time; it's about the end result of that signing. at least IMO that is what we are discussing, right?

so, using the benefit of hindsight, we can clearly see that signing moose for $64M was far worse for the reds than signing AlfRod for $7M. or shogo for $21M. or eric milton for $25M. all of those are horrible signings, however moose takes the cake (no pun intended) due to the vast amount the reds paid for him. moose is a better player than shogo, but i would much rather miss on a 3-year, $21M deal than a 4-year, $64M deal. one of those deals even a small market team can overcome ($7M per year down the tubes). the other they certainly cannot afford ($16M per year down the tubes).

full disclosure: i did not like the moose signing at the time. but that has nothing to do with my assessment of the deal now. as much as i did not like it at the time, i would have bet that there would be no way we would look back on the signing of moose as WORSE than the signing of eric milton. but here we are.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    "hindsight" has a negative connotation, but "hindsight" is exactly what we should use to determine things like "Worst signing in Reds history." it's not about how we felt about the signing at the time; it's about the end result of that signing. at least IMO that is what we are discussing, right?

so, using the benefit of hindsight, we can clearly see that signing moose for $64M was far worse for the reds than signing AlfRod for $7M. or shogo for $21M. or eric milton for $25M. all of those are horrible signings, however moose takes the cake (no pun intended) due to the vast amount the reds paid for him. moose is a better player than shogo, but i would much rather miss on a 3-year, $21M deal than a 4-year, $64M deal. one of those deals even a small market team can overcome ($7M per year down the tubes). the other they certainly cannot afford ($16M per year down the tubes).

full disclosure: i did not like the moose signing at the time. but that has nothing to do with my assessment of the deal now. as much as i did not like it at the time, i would have bet that there would be no way we would look back on the signing of moose as WORSE than the signing of eric milton. but here we are.
    For as bad as Moose has been, he’s not a worse signing than Milton as far as I’m concerned. Milton was signed for two thirds of what Moose is making adjusted for inflation, except Moose was a very good player coming off recent all star seasons at the time he was signed. Eric Milton had always sucked, except the Reds threw a boatload of cash at him and pretended he was going to be their “ace.” Moose’s signing was a fairly safe gamble that just happened to blow up, Milton was an extremely terrible signing immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Maybe it was just my body, and as debilitating as PF was to me, it was just as easily controlled with a simple stretching regimen. I'm no Dr, but tightness was my problem, and took a little time, but easily remedied.

It may be different on others, but it makes it hard to be sympathetic.
    There’s no reason to be sympathetic. He chose to be fat and out of shape. He could’ve easily hired a dietitian, a chef, a PT, etc. Like ownership, he mailed it in.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Could have used a fraction of that 64 million to eliminate the opt-out from Castellanos’ deal.

Usually (pretending to) allocating spent money is a fruitless excercise.

But I think a wise organization may have absolutely done so.

bump
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (05-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    bump
    Are you bumping because of his -0.1 WAR? Or because he's on pace for 11 HRs and 44 RBI's?
    Last edited by RedsFanInMS; 05-14-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Are you bumping because of his -0.1 WAR? Or because he's on pace for 11 HRs and 44 RBI's?
    You lose any possible high ground on this one when you cite RBIs
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-14-2022),westofyou (05-14-2022)

Real players know how to drive 'em in though

Happy that he’s doing better myself

He’s here and him sucking doesn’t help my life any way

19. Likes:

mth123 (05-14-2022),RED VAN HOT (05-14-2022),Revering4Blue (05-14-2022),Ron Madden (05-14-2022),terminator (05-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Happy that he’s doing better myself

He’s here and him sucking doesn’t help my life any way
    Yeah, I think it's definitely a "anything we get is a win at this point" situation

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    I bumping it because of his .293/.379/.431/.810 over the last month, and his .344/.447/.594/1.041 since May 1.

Basically, he had a terrible first week, and has been his old self since then.

Edit: Those numbers are before his 2 HR game tonight.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-14-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-14-2022)

Turn Off Ads?