Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Daryle Lamonica, R.I.P.

Daryle Lamonica, R.I.P.

Daryle Lamonica has reportedly passed away, age 80. Nicknamed "The Mad Bomber," Lamonica backed up Jack Kemp as the quarterback on the 1964-65 Buffalo Bills teams, which won back-to-back AFL titles in those days prior to the Super Bowl.
    Traded to the Oakland Raiders prior to the 1967 season, he quarterbacked Oakland to a 13-1 regular season record, leading the AFL with 30 TD passes and being named AFL MVP. The Raiders defeated the Oilers 40-7 in the AFL title game, before losing to Green Bay in Super Bowl II, 33-14. Lamonica had another good season in 1968, tossing 25 TDs, as the Raiders tied the Chiefs for the AFL West title, 12-2; Oakland then destroyed KC in a playoff game 41-6, before losing to Joe Namath's Jets 27-23 in the swirling winds of New York. In 1969 Lamonica lead the AFL with 34 TD passes and again was named AFL MVP, as the Raiders went 12-1-1. They then clobbered the Oilers 56-7 before again losing the AFL title game, this time to KC, 17-7.
    Lamonica was still good in 1970, the first year of the merger, with 22 TD passes. Oakland again won their division and then their playoff opener, beating Miami 21-14, but lost to the Colts in the AFC title game, 27-17. After that Lamonica declined as he was unable to consistently hit long bombs against more complex zone defenses. He finally was replaced as the Raiders starting QB during the 1973 season by Ken Stabler.
    He was still a fun guy to watch in his heyday.
    R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

Betterread (04-21-2022),Kingspoint (04-21-2022),Revering4Blue (04-21-2022),Tuff Nut (04-22-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daryle Lamonica, R.I.P.

That was an era when Quarterback names were legendary, Apolloic...

Lamonica ushered in a new era of entertainment.....the Gunslinger. The game would never be the same again.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Betterread (04-21-2022)

He was a very cool, stay in the pocket, throw it as far as you can QB. The 67-69 Raiders were very good.

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Daryle Lamonica has reportedly passed away, age 80. Nicknamed "The Mad Bomber," Lamonica backed up Jack Kemp as the quarterback on the 1964-65 Buffalo Bills teams, which won back-to-back AFL titles in those days prior to the Super Bowl.
    Traded to the Oakland Raiders prior to the 1967 season, he quarterbacked Oakland to a 13-1 regular season record, leading the AFL with 30 TD passes and being named AFL MVP. The Raiders defeated the Oilers 40-7 in the AFL title game, before losing to Green Bay in Super Bowl II, 33-14. Lamonica had another good season in 1968, tossing 25 TDs, as the Raiders tied the Chiefs for the AFL West title, 12-2; Oakland then destroyed KC in a playoff game 41-6, before losing to Joe Namath's Jets 27-23 in the swirling winds of New York. In 1969 Lamonica lead the AFL with 34 TD passes and again was named AFL MVP, as the Raiders went 12-1-1. They then clobbered the Oilers 56-7 before again losing the AFL title game, this time to KC, 17-7.
    Lamonica was still good in 1970, the first year of the merger, with 22 TD passes. Oakland again won their division and then their playoff opener, beating Miami 21-14, but lost to the Colts in the AFC title game, 27-17. After that Lamonica declined as he was unable to consistently hit long bombs against more complex zone defenses. He finally was replaced as the Raiders starting QB during the 1973 season by Ken Stabler.
    He was still a fun guy to watch in his heyday.
    R.I.P.
    Man, this hits me hard!!! The Raiders were my first love, as far as professional football teams go. I became a Bengals' fan in '75 but before that it was Lamonica, George Blanda, Rodger Bird(hometown boy from Corbin, KY) and the rest of the Raiders. I loved me some Raiders back then. Lamonica was a terrific player and leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Man, this hits me hard!!! The Raiders were my first love, as far as professional football teams go. I became a Bengals' fan in '75 but before that it was Lamonica, George Blanda, Rodger Bird(hometown boy from Corbin, KY) and the rest of the Raiders. I loved me some Raiders back then. Lamonica was a terrific player and leader.
    In a way, Lamonica was the prototypical Al Davis quarterback, throwing the bomb. Ken Stabler was the better QB, and I cheered for both the Snake and the Mad Bomber. The John Madden Raiders, 1969-78, remain my favorite NFL team.

10. Likes:

Chip R (04-22-2022)

I don't remember Lamonica too much as I was just getting into football as he was leaving it. But I have read and heard about him. He was the typical gunslinging QB of the old AFL. He helped usher in a new era in football and bring the NFL into the late 20th century.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

RedsBaron (04-23-2022)

The first pro football game I ever attended was the Raiders at Nippert Stadium vs. the expansion Bengals. Lamonica, Biletnikoff and Warren Wells dismantled the poor first-year Bengals.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2022),RedsBaron (04-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    In a way, Lamonica was the prototypical Al Davis quarterback, throwing the bomb. Ken Stabler was the better QB, and I cheered for both the Snake and the Mad Bomber. The John Madden Raiders, 1969-78, remain my favorite NFL team.
    There was nothing like watching the Raiders back in the late sixties , early seventies square off with their bitter rival, the Kansas City Chiefs and Hank Stram with Curt Gowdy on the call for NBC.

16. Likes:

RedsBaron (04-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    There was nothing like watching the Raiders back in the late sixties , early seventies square off with their bitter rival, the Kansas City Chiefs and Hank Stram with Curt Gowdy on the call for NBC.
    Or watching the Raiders square off with another bitter rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers, from 1973 through 1977. The Raiders and Steelers of that era were the two toughest and probably dirtiest teams in the NFL. One stat which surprises some people is how close the rivalry was once Stabler became the Raiders starting QB in 1973. The Raiders won 5 and the Steelers 3 games in the rivalry during the five years of 1973 through 1977, with the postseason being even, 2-2, as Oakland won 33-14 in 1973, Pittsburgh won in both 1974 and 1975, 24-13 and 16-10, and the Raiders winning in 1976, 24-7, the last three playoff games being the AFC title game with the winner going on to win the Super Bowl.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-22-2022)

Turn Off Ads?