Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Phil Castellini is clueless (continuation of other thread)

Re: Phil Castellini is clueless (continuation of other thread)

Legitimately, is anyone surprised at that?!?

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Reds just announced 3 dollar beer nights on Tuesdays.

Yep. That's where the captain is steering the ship these days...
    Make it a Friday and I miiiight consider attending a game this year.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch
    The Reds are on a historically putrid 125-loss pace; here's why things may not get better anytime soon.

Team ownership asked for it

Maybe they did not expressly ask to be this bad, but Reds owner Bob Castellini and his hapless kiddo stripped a contending roster for parts and did so despite the promise of an expanded postseason.

Again, this level of awfulness wasn't anticipated, but team ownership placed this within the range of possibilities by tearing the roster apart over the winter.

The Reds have been bad in every possible way, but their pitching is on another level

Not surprisingly, the Reds are doing nothing particularly well so far in 2022. They rank a middling 15th in MLB in runs scored and 24th in OPS. They're 29th in Defensive Efficiency, which is the percentage of balls in play that a team converts into outs.

Cincy pitching, though, has been on a plane all its own. Right now, Reds moundsmen are lugging around an ERA of 6.61 on the season. That's the worst in MLB by a cavernous margin -- the Pirates and Nationals are tied for 29th with an ERA of 4.81.

Normally, we'd operate in keeping with the timeless wisdom of creative-writing workshops and conclude by saying something nice about that which has been flayed. In the Reds' case, it would've gone a little something like this: If paces hold, then Cincy will secure the No. 1 overall pick in the MLB draft for the first time in franchise history.

Alas and alack, the Reds don't even have that going for them. That's because the new collective bargaining agreement includes a draft-lottery provision that means the top pick is no longer the birthright of the team with the worst record.

Here's how it will work:
    All 18 non-playoff clubs will enter a lottery for the top six picks. The percentage chances of each team getting the No. 1 choice, in reverse order of winning percentages:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jimcallis...061646/photo/1

6. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2022)

The attendance at the ballpark is a bit embarrassing, especially seeing it on TV.

But there is a certain charm to buying a $5 Upper View level ticket and sitting with your feet up on the dugout. If you can get a hot dog and beer for $5 as well, even better (although it sounds like it is gimmicky, though when they had the $1 stuff I always managed to get it). I'll do that any day to watch MLB in person.

A day at the park is better than a lot of other kind of days. Makes me wish I was in town this year.

Though honestly, I have had a lot of opportunities to do this as a Reds fan, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Make it a Friday and I miiiight consider attending a game this year.
    If they run out of beer and hot dogs by the 4th inning on a Tuesday, I'd imagine they would run out before the game even started on a Friday.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

9. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2022)

Is the team blocking off the upper deck? seemed very dark the last few games, how long until we get some banners up there to hide the empty seats?
    Go Gators!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2022)

The cheap, the greedy, the inept and unlikeable: These are sports' worst owners

Between John Fisher doing his best to alienate Oakland A’s fans so he can move the team and get a sweet new stadium, and Phil Castellini telling the Cincinnati Reds faithful that they’re stuck with his low-budget – and losing – operation, it’s hard to say who is the worse owner.

Look around the major leagues, and you’ll find plenty of objectionable owners. Some are cheap and some are greedy. Some are inept. Some are just plain unlikeable. And some are all those things.
    Full Story:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...?ocid=BingNews

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-20-2022)

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...mwhcZA74xVAESg

Phil apologizes to season ticket holders (with hilarious photo of incredibly small amount of season ticket holders in attendance)

15. Likes:

Chip R (05-27-2022),fondfoat (05-28-2022),Joeyjection19 (05-27-2022),MoneyInTheBank (05-27-2022),Red Raindog (05-27-2022),RedTeamGo! (05-27-2022),Ron Madden (05-27-2022),UKFlounder (05-27-2022)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

At this link, here’s the audio of Phil Castellini’s apology.

https://cincinnati.com/story/sports/...ns/9967027002/

That all sounds well and good, scripted as it assuredly was.

But it's put up or shut up time. We want to see action on the field and action in the transaction department. At least he said that, whether genuine or not. It had to be done. But no one cares. We want results. Or the stands will continue to be empty. I live in Lexington. Sure it's only an hour drive up to Cincinnati but with gas and everything else these days, it's pretty easy to decide to stay home when we aren't even trying to compete. Why should I spend my money?

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    That all sounds well and good, scripted as it assuredly was.

But it's put up or shut up time. We want to see action on the field and action in the transaction department. At least he said that, whether genuine or not. It had to be done. But no one cares. We want results. Or the stands will continue to be empty. I live in Lexington. Sure it's only an hour drive up to Cincinnati but with gas and everything else these days, it's pretty easy to decide to stay home when we aren't even trying to compete. Why should I spend my money?
    There’s only one option that will get me to even look at GABP again (or resubscribe to cable for that matter).

Sell. The. Team.

Even one fan in the stands is too many and I couldn’t care less how many times that clown apologizes.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/statu...mwhcZA74xVAESg

Phil apologizes to season ticket holders (with hilarious photo of incredibly small amount of season ticket holders in attendance)
    Phil says they will "Continue to invest in the team".. What the hell does that mean, I mean, granted they spent money 3 years ago, with the free agents -- but other than that,
    since Walt left, they have not invested squat in this team. Their scoutng and analytics still suck, the team is a trainwreck.. Notice how Phil didn't say anything about
    trying to win, just the vague "continue to invest".. And BS about how "This is the fan's team"
    Phil, let's keep it real, it is your team, you just want us to be emotionally connected and keep
    spending money on it.. Go jump in a lake Phil, that apology was bad.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 05-30-2022 at 01:17 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Reds just announced 3 dollar beer nights on Tuesdays.

Yep. That's where the captain is steering the ship these days...
    Death to Disco! Woohoo!

Turn Off Ads?