Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Guy Lafleur

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Guy Lafleur

I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread. This one has me shook. LaFleur seemed like he'd descended from Olympus to play hockey with the mortals. There's certain players whose excellence makes them feel eternal, and LaFleur was one of those guys for me. I assume there will be mass gatherings across Quebec to mark his passing. Not joking. The man was a walking icon up there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Betterread (04-22-2022),Chip R (04-22-2022),moewan (04-23-2022),Revering4Blue (04-22-2022)

This passing is the final chapter of a glorious run of skilled scorers for Montreal, started by Maurice Richard (40s, 50s), then Jean Beliveau (50s, 60s) and finally Guy Lafleur (70s). They scored, they won championships and they played with panache. They led the charge for a style of hockey that is gone, unfortunately.

6. Likes:

Chip R (04-22-2022),M2 (04-22-2022),moewan (04-23-2022)

I know nothing much at all about hockey but I do know when to appreciate greatness. Lafleur was certainly one of the best. RIP Guy Lafleur.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

moewan (04-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    This passing is the final chapter of a glorious run of skilled scorers for Montreal, started by Maurice Richard (40s, 50s), then Jean Beliveau (50s, 60s) and finally Guy Lafleur (70s). They scored, they won championships and they played with panache. They led the charge for a style of hockey that is gone, unfortunately.
    To give current players credit, they've got absurd skills and the game has opened up. For instance, there's a resurgence of high-scoring defensemen - Roman Josi, Cale Makar, Adam Fox. But LaFleur was almost untouchably good when he played. Like you said, he played a style that just looked different, even from his own teammates (who were some of the best players alive). Even though I know Gretzky was a better player, LaFleur is still the icon to me. He had this effortless explosion to his game that's unlike anything I've ever seen in hockey or any other sport.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Chip R (04-25-2022),moewan (04-23-2022)

As a kid in the late 70's I can remember going to the Montreal Forum to watch him play. The place was electric even before the Canadiens took the ice and when Lafleur would be on a rush everyone would be out of their seats expecting him to score. M2 is correct, Lafleur was a walking icon in Quebec.

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-25-2022),cumberlandreds (04-23-2022),M2 (04-22-2022),moewan (04-23-2022)

Turn Off Ads?