Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/23 Minor League Scores

4/23 Minor League Scores

All the games are relatively early-- this is the gettaway day across the minors. Let's hope it's another successful one for Red farm teams. Last night, the four teams in action went a pristine 4-0, with three of the four using some heavy lumber to do their damage. Today, we've got at least one erstwhile ace going, so runs may be at a premium.

AAA Louisville Bats v. Iowa Cubs
    Louisville turns to Randy Wynne. Nope, not that Randy Winn. This one. He's been pretty meh so far, but meh is pretty solid considering he was in the Independent Leagues in 2019. Offensively, the Bats are led by Ronnie Dawson, a LH swinging OF who can play all three positions. The 27-year-old has a .295/ .394/ .508/ .903 line across 17 games and 71 PAs. He's showing more power this year than he has for a couple of seasons. Might make him interesting as a scrap heap fifth OF, I guess. Right now, what do the Reds have to lose?

AA Chattanooga Lookouts v. Mississippi Braves
    Chattanooga erupted for double digit runs last night, then held on to finish the game. I'm guessing Carson Spiers or maybe Sam McWilliams starts this one, but who knows? The average age of the Chattanooga starting staff is just over 25. The average age of the Reds' starting staff is the exact same. Interesting, that. I guess. Mike Siani has more BBs than Ks. I love to see that from speed guys. Four Lookouts have an OPS 840 or better-- TJ Hopkins, Matt McLain, Mike Siani, and Isiah Gilliam. They're facing Freddy Tarnok, who has an 1.93 ERA. Right now, the likely MVP of the Southern League has to be TJ Hopkins. The 25-year-old is in the top five of virtually every offensive category: BA, OBP, OPS, HR, RBI. You name it, he's hitting it. Something's gotta give. Tune in to find out what.

High A Dayton Dragons v. West Michigan Whitecaps
    The Whitecaps will toss Jordan Marks on the Dragon fire. He's sporting a 9.00 ERA. That might not be a great idea, as the Dragons put up double figure runs last night and are on fire offensively. Six Dragons have and OPS over 800, including three who are sporting 900+ OPS. No one is hotter than Alex McGarry. But Jose Torres is looking awfully good as well. McGarry's second in the Midwest League in OPS, while Torres is 15th. Andrew Abbott toes the rubber for the Dragons. He's been pretty great so far this young season. 14 K/9 against 4 BB/9 leads to a 3.5 K.BB ratio, and his 1.333 WHiP meant a 1.00 ERA. (He's found a way to get out of several jams.)

Low A Daytona Tortugas v. Bradenton Marauders
    The 'Tugas evened their record at 7s last night. Tanner Cooper goes to the mound tonight, intent on continuing his scoreless streak to start the season. 13 Ks and no earned runs? That'll play. Speaking of playing, Austin Hendrick is doing just that. He's in the top 10 of the Florida State League in BA, OBP, and SLG. Obviously, that means he's in the top 10 in OPS as well. That, too, will play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4/23 Minor League Scores

I think this is the 4/24 thread.

Luis Castillo on the mound for Dayton.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think this is the 4/24 thread.

Luis Castillo on the mound for Dayton.
    It is. I can't type (or perhaps count...?)

3 Ks sandwiched around a walk in the first.

Elly De La Cruz walks.

That's a great result, IMO.

3 BBs in 42 ABs will absolutely work.

Castillo out after 48 pitches. seemed to get tired and start walking guys. He left with one out in the third and the bases loaded. Seems like he needs to build up more endurance before he's ready for a big league start. Probably 2 more starts on rehab at minimum.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

One of Castillos runners scored before getting out of the inning. Quintana homers in the bottom of the inning. Tied 1-1 after 3. Andrew Abbott now pitching at the top of the 4th.

De la Cruz and Cerda with back-to-back jacks. 3 to 1 Dragons.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-24-2022),Tom Servo (04-24-2022)

Dayton up 8-1 in the 6th. Quintana andNelson have added Homers. Nelson also has a double.

Abbott gave up his first earned run of the season. He has 9 Ks and 2 BB along with three hits in 5 IP.

IMO, he needs to be pushed to the next level, as High A kids are struggling to handle his breaking stuff (which is nasty) and his change of speeds (which is good).

12. Likes:

JCM11 (04-24-2022),Old school 1983 (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    De la Cruz and Cerda with back-to-back jacks. 3 to 1 Dragons.
    As the weather warms up, the humidity is going to allow balls to fly. Cerda, De La Cruz, Nelson, Hinds, and perhaps others as they graduate from Daytona should see a pretty major HR bump. I really think at least one and perhaps as many as three Dragons could end up with 30 HR on the season.

14. Likes:

mth123 (04-24-2022),Old school 1983 (04-24-2022)

Chattanooga up 2-0. Siani and Hopkins had hits in the first. Gilliam has tripled here in the 2nd and stands on third with no outs.

Time to bring Albert Almora up from Louisville. The RH CF had four hits today and is now hitting .429.

The Bats lost, 8-4.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-24-2022)

Andrew Abbott closes it out, tossing 89 pitches in relief, 63 of them strikes. 11 Ks on the day in 6 IP. (I believe that's the longest stint of the year for a minor leaguer.) Abbott's ERA is now 1.20. That's three starts and 15 innings. 25 Ks v. 11 hits and 6 BBs.

Really like the start to his professional career.

19. Likes:

Mitri (04-24-2022)

Chattanooga scores two more in the 2nd. Siani has two hits. Quincy McAfee has a hit and a walk. TJ Hopkins has a double and two RBI. Hopkins is up to .372 on the season.

Abbott has a really easy repeatable delivery with a 94 mph fastball and nasty breaking stuff. I'll take from a lefty SP any day. At the risk of getting ahead of myself Elly looks like a left handed Tatis Jr to me with that frame and the torque on his swing.

Turn Off Ads?