Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/23 Minor League Scores

Re: 4/23 Minor League Scores

Not sure who I'm most excited about. I still like McLain quite a bit but part of me fears his game will just be 'okay' at the big league level (Nick Madrigal, Kevin Newman) and not a real impact bat type (our man India, for instance).

So I'm probably Team Elly, but really I like all the toolsy guys. Allen, Hendrick, even Cerda. Just need someone to hit.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still like McLain quite a bit but part of me fears his game will just be 'okay' at the big league level (Nick Madrigal, Kevin Newman) and not a real impact bat type (our man India, for instance).
    I'm pretty sure India will never be an impact bat either. I don't see an impact bat on the Reds' current roster beyond Votto. India and Stephenson are good bat-- above average bats, for sure-- but they're not, IMO, going to be the 900 OPS monsters you need to carry you deep into the pennant race.

That's why De La Cruz is the guy I look to first. That bat has a chance to be special.

I agree with you on the toolsy guys too-- Hendrick, Hinds, and Cerda just have to hit. Jay Allen is between the two-- I love everything about his production so far. Those numbers scream difference-maker, perennial All-Star. So, oddly, do Jose Torres'. But the scouting reports on both are rather lackluster. They're similar to McLain (though perhaps not as highly ranked due to level and pedigree).

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-24-2022)

I've seen about a half dozen Chattanooga games and 2 Dragon games. My favs so far.

1. McLain (has Jay Bruce type power)
    2. Boyle (imposing on the mound and batters look scared)
    3. Siana (speed, power, looks like Billy Hamilton with India hitting skills)
    4. De La Cruz (Eric Davis with decent SS skills)
    5. Torres (he also has hitting skills similar to India)
    6. Phillips (Good looking FB very nice 12-6 curve)
    7. Nelson (decent catcher with a cannon arm)
    8. McGarry (Great power when he makes contact)
    Those are the guys who have popped off my screen.
    Last edited by icehole3; 04-24-2022 at 07:59 AM.

6. Likes:

JCM11 (04-24-2022),mth123 (04-24-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not sure who I'm most excited about. I still like McLain quite a bit but part of me fears his game will just be 'okay' at the big league level (Nick Madrigal, Kevin Newman) and not a real impact bat type (our man India, for instance).

So I'm probably Team Elly, but really I like all the toolsy guys. Allen, Hendrick, even Cerda. Just need someone to hit.
    Nick Madrigal? Don’t some think he will go to 10 straight all star games?

I’m most excited about De La Cruz and Allen with regard to bats, I’m very excited to watch McLain as well, but he seems to have a lower ceiling, but much higher floor. McLain is absolutely an important piece, but if the Reds don’t get a star out of at least one of these other players they are in trouble for rest of the decade.

On the pitchers side I’m most excited about Petty and Phillips.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 04-24-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

JCM11 (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I've seen about a half dozen Chattanooga games and 2 Dragon games. My favs so far.

1. McLain (has Jay Bruce type power)
    2. Boyle (imposing on the mound and batters look scared)
    3. Siana (speed, power, looks like Billy Hamilton with India hitting skills)
    4. De La Cruz (Eric Davis with decent SS skills)
    5. Torres (he also has hitting skills similar to India)
    6. Phillips (Good looking FB very nice 12-6 curve)
    7. Nelson (decent catcher with a cannon arm)
    8. McGarry (Great power when he makes contact)
    Those are the guys who have popped off my screen.
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Thoughts on Hopkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm pretty sure India will never be an impact bat either. I don't see an impact bat on the Reds' current roster beyond Votto. India and Stephenson are good bat-- above average bats, for sure-- but they're not, IMO, going to be the 900 OPS monsters you need to carry you deep into the pennant race.

That's why De La Cruz is the guy I look to first. That bat has a chance to be special.

I agree with you on the toolsy guys too-- Hendrick, Hinds, and Cerda just have to hit. Jay Allen is between the two-- I love everything about his production so far. Those numbers scream difference-maker, perennial All-Star. So, oddly, do Jose Torres'. But the scouting reports on both are rather lackluster. They're similar to McLain (though perhaps not as highly ranked due to level and pedigree).
    Agree completely. The Reds have a lot of very good in the system, but no elite potential besides De La Cruz. They need to find a way to bring in elite skills this trade deadline and in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Agree completely. The Reds have a lot of very good in the system, but no elite potential besides De La Cruz. They need to find a way to bring in elite skills this trade deadline and in the off-season.
    I think Allen and Hendrick have elite potential, they just have very low floors as well. There’s another player too I’m blanking on. Cerda or Cedrola?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Allen and Hendrick have elite potential, they just have very low floors as well. There’s another player too I’m blanking on. Cerda or Cedrola?
    Cerda has some intriguing tools. So does Confidan. And Hinds. And Mat Nelson, for that matter.

All have 60+ power potential, but each of them could flame out due to swing-and-miss issues too.

13. Likes:

icehole3 (04-24-2022),Old school 1983 (04-24-2022)

I’m a Cerda fan. The thing is with all of those guys you mentioned, none have crossed that AA threshold. The MLB OF is set to be a wasteland next year, and I can’t think of one guy on the MLB roster that currently has any elite offensive skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’m a Cerda fan. The thing is with all of those guys you mentioned, none have crossed that AAA threshold. The MLB OF is set to be a wasteland next year, and I can’t think of one guy on the MLB roster that currently has any elite offensive skill.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m a Cerda fan. The thing is with all of those guys you mentioned, none have crossed that AAA threshold. The MLB OF is set to be a wasteland next year, and I can’t think of one guy on the MLB roster that currently has any elite offensive skill.
    Completely agree about the OF. On the bright side the Reds have multiple legit prospects that either are OF or can play OF. With that said, when Krall inevitably trades Castillo and Mahle at the deadline he better be focused on OF prospects. Enough young pitchers with high ceilings. The Reds need near MLB ready OFs direly. I see no reason Castillo or Mahle couldn’t fetch a top OF prospect.

Maybe Brett Baty from the Mets or George Valera from the Guardians? Hassel from the Padres?

The dream would be Riley Greene from the Tigers, but I’m guessing he’s untouchable. But I feel like if the Tigers are in the hunt at the deadline they could use an ace like Castillo and it would be pretty fair.

16. Likes:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Thoughts on Hopkins?
    Hopkins' first HR was a no doubter to left center landed about 10 yards over the wall, his second homer was exactly the same spot but a solo job.

Siani first double was hit so hard the RF froze and the ball sailed over his head, doubt he would have caught it hit to high. His second double was a drive similar to Hopkins but was about 20 yards short and hit the top of the wall.

De La Cruz's homer was reaching out to make contact and the ball goes about 340 ft to left to just clear the fence. Did not get all of it.

Maybe Brett Baty from the Mets or George Valera from the Guardians? Hassel from the Padres?

The dream would be Riley Greene from the Tigers, but I’m guessing he’s untouchable. But I feel like if the Tigers are in the hunt at the deadline they could use an ace like Castillo and it would be pretty fair.
    When dealing Castillo, the Reds have to get a quality prospect. He's likely the only ace on the market and is still controllable beyond this season. His contract isn't horrid either. An NL Central team would have to knock my socks off to get him (assuming the schedule remains weighted toward division foes). I'd start the bidding at a top 50 prospect and a lottery ticket outside the other team's top 10. It'd cost the best and 11th prospect in your system if you want Castillo.

While Greene's out for the year, the Tigers could be competing for a pennant. That's who I'd target from that team.

Julio Rodriguez is struggling. If the Mariners need an ace at a later date, he's my target from Seattle.

Gabriel Moreno from Toronto would be an ideal get, as he and Stephenson could tag-team the catching and DH duties. With Farmer as an erstwhile third catcher, I love that idea.

Boston's Triston Casas also makes some sense.

Beyond that, you're looking at three prospects for Castillo alone (which I'd prefer to avoid)-- with at least one of them a lower level target. (Which I'd also prefer to avoid.)

That would mean it'd cost San Diego Robert Hassel plus James Wood. The Yankees would need to pony up Jasson Dominguez and Trey Sweeney or Austin Wells.

For Mahle, a lesser top 100 prospect makes sense as the primary target. That's a Hassel straight up deal or a Heliot Ramos.

What might be interesting is packaging Mahle and Castillo for a monster return. Or adding payroll in order to also add talent.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 04-24-2022 at 10:43 AM.

19. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    De La Cruz's homer was reaching out to make contact and the ball goes about 340 ft to left to just clear the fence. Did not get all of it.
    One of the reasons why De La Cruz is an attractive prospect to dream on is that he can do this with basically a half a swing.

Saw video of Elly’s homer. He just sort of swatted half-speed at a ball and it went oppo over the Fence. He is strong. I’m not too worried about his k-rate. He has been forced to adjust to a new frame each year. As he matures it will be easier to settle on an approach and find consistency. I think he is far and away the best prospect in the system.

22. Likes:

icehole3 (04-24-2022)

Elly has the most upside the way the ball jumps off his bat is insane, and he hasn't even filled out yet. McLain has the highest floor I'd be be pretty surprised if he isn't at least a league average starter in the bigs. If Siani keeps the BB/SO ratio close to 1 to 1 then he has to be taken seriously as a legit prospect, and he's only a few weeks older than McLain.

24. Likes:

icehole3 (04-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?