Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/23 Minor League Scores

4/23 Minor League Scores

AAA Louisville Bats v. Iowa Cubs
    Collin Overton takes the mound for a 2:05 tussle with the Cubs' affiliate. Louisville got beat last night. Time to turn the tables. Overton has been perfectly cromulent as a Bat. He's the type of depth arm that every (cheap) team craves for AAA-- former major leaguer who won't embarass you if he makes the move up the interstate. 3.75 ERA will travel.

AA Chattanooga Lookouts v. Mississippi Braves
    The Lookouts send [TBD] to start. We're sure [TBD] will do a great job because [reasons]. Sigh. I hate that they don't release SP names. How hard would that be?

Dayton Dragons v. West Michigan Whitecaps
    James Marinan faces off against Keider Montero. This is the early game-- 1:05. Get there early, enjoy all the festivities. Marinan has struggled early this season with an 11.57 ERA. So has Montero, with a 9.00 ERA. There may be plenty of fireworks to be had. Game starts at 7:05.

Daytona Tortugas v. Bradenton Marauders
    The Tortugas took it on the chin last night. They look to get back to their winning ways tonight by turning to Hunter Parks. Parks has a 1-0 record and a 3.60 ERA with 6 Ks in just five innings. He has a 2.20 ERA overall in his professional career after being drafted in the 8th round out of Florence-Darlington Tech Junior College in South Carolina. Be there by 7:05 to watch the first pitch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4/23 Minor League Scores

The Dragons have on their hitting shoes today. Both Alex McGarry and Elly De La Cruz have HR. Jose Torres has a triple, a hit by pitch, and a SB on the day-- and it's only the 3rd inning. So far, two Dragons have been hit by pitch, one after McGarry's HR. Might be more fireworks coming. It doesn't help that James Marinan doesn't seem to be fooling anyone. Dragons lead, 6-4 and are threatening.

4. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-23-2022),Tom Servo (04-23-2022)

McGarry's 5th HR puts him in a three-way tie for second in the Midwest League, one behind league leader Johnny DeLuca.

McGarry hit really well in Daytona for a couple of weeks last season before being pushed to Dayton, where he struggled to find any consistency. This year, he's shown much more pop. Might be a candidate for an early call-up to Chattanooga. Lookouts 1B are currently OPSing less than 600 on the season.

The Bats come back to win against the evil Iowa Cubs, 4-3. Sandy Leon-- who probably belongs on the major league roster-- went 3-4 with a HR, a 2B, and a single. Reggie Dawson (as is his wont) had two hits. He's only hitting .295 with a 900-ish OPS. Albert Almora, Cristian Santana, and Michael De Leon also had mutliple hit games. Overton gave up one ER over 5.0 IP. Good team win, that. Fun to see.

Speaking of fun, Dayton outslugged the Whitecaps 10-9. Jose Torres had a couple of hits. McGarry, irritated that he hasn't yet been named Mace Memorial Minor League Player of the Day, also had a couple of hits. He's up to .290 with an OPS of 1.232. Justice Thompson also had a couple of hits. He's near .300 with an OPS over 800. The only Dayton pitcher to pitch effectively was Donovan Benoit, who went 2 IP with no earned runs.

I know it's early, but Torres is carrying an ops approaching 1.000 so far in 160 PA in the minors with no signs of slowing down.

Torres is a stud. 6th in the Midwest league in OPS and guessing one of its best gloves, too.
    Last edited by Mitri; 04-23-2022 at 08:13 PM.

9. Likes:

Eric in IL (04-24-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-23-2022)

Daytona is knotted up with the Marauders at 3. Michel Triana has a couple of hits.

Chattanooga is beating the Mississippi Braves 10-5. Michael Siani has a couple of hits, both doubles. TJ Hopkins also has a couple of extra base hits-- his 3rd and 4th HR. Gilliam and McAfee have hit HR as well.

Daytona goes on top with a couple of runs. Gus Steiger singles in Jay Allen, then Yerlin Confidan hits his 1st HR of the season. (That can't be right, right? It seems as if he's hit pretty well without hitting big flies.)

- - - Updated - - -

That Chattanooga game has tightened right on up. It's 10-8.

McLain with a two run PH single in the top of the ninth to give the lookouts some breathing room. McLain is the prospect I'm most excited about in the reds system.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Daytona wins, 7-5.

Multi-hit games from Steiger and Triana.

'Tugas even their record.

Serious fireworks in Chattanooga. Lookouts win a wild one, 18-11.

TJ Hopkins had 7 RBI and went 4-6 with 2 HR. He's up to a .357 BA right now. I've heard he's a pistol.

Lots of other stars, as you might imagine. Michael Siani had a couple of doubles and a BB. McAfee had a three-hit night. Robbie Tenerowicz had two hits and two BBs. Chuckie Robinson-- struggling most of the short season-- finally got on track with three hits. Francisco Urbaez, ice cold from the beginning of the year, also got a couple to fall.

Hopkins is now in the Southern League top five in HR, RBI, and OPS. Depending on how the rest of the top five finish the night, he might be there in BA too. His monster night makes TJ Hopkins the easy choice for the 4/23 Mace Memorial Minor League Player of the Day.

That leaves Red minor league teams unbeaten on the night for the second time in three nights.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 04-23-2022 at 10:34 PM.

16. Likes:

Eric in IL (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    McLain is the prospect I'm most excited about in the reds system.
    Mine's Elly De La Cruz currently, though that tends to change quite a bit over the course of a season.

18. Likes:

mth123 (04-23-2022),RiverRat13 (04-23-2022),Tom Servo (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Mine's Elly De La Cruz currently, though that tends to change quite a bit over the course of a season.
    +1. I sometimes scroll your threads just to see if EDLC did something. The Reds are so frickin' due to have someone like him to come out of nowhere and be a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I like him too, but I tend to prefer guys at AA or higher. I think AA is where a lot of guys go off the rails, so I hold back until they seem to be handling AA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?