Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2022 UK Football: The March Continues

Re: 2022 UK Football: The March Continues

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Man, those are some harsh words.

These guys are preparing for their future, and plenty of guys have been negatively affected by injury to make the decision a feasible one. I don't like it, but I'm not in the position to make millions for a small, small window of time. It sucks as a fan that they made that decision (and, I suspect, speaks to a bit of disfunction on this year's squad as one of the reasons why they weren't as successful as they might have been). But I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same if faced with that decision.
    Kentucky already fired their offensive coordinator before the bowl game even started. Vince Marrow was calling the plays for the second bowl game in a row. It was an overglorified spring game and sadly that’s the future of any bowl that doesn’t feature a team in the Playoff (especially once it expands.

I completely understand cumberlandreds frustration with this as it’s also where I’m at as well. There needs to be incentive for players to stay and play in the bowl games but IMO what id like to see is less bowl games overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kentucky already fired their offensive coordinator before the bowl game even started. Vince Marrow was calling the plays for the second bowl game in a row. It was an overglorified spring game and sadly that’s the future of any bowl that doesn’t feature a team in the Playoff (especially once it expands.

I completely understand cumberlandreds frustration with this as it’s also where I’m at as well. There needs to be incentive for players to stay and play in the bowl games but IMO what id like to see is less bowl games overall.
    I get that you're frustrated, but you don't call out kids for protecting their bodies for their profession (and millions in dollars) in order to play in "overglorified spring games."

I get that you're frustrated, but you don't call out kids for protecting their bodies for their profession (and millions in dollars) in order to play in "overglorified spring games."
    They are part of a team and stick with team until the end. Otherwise in my book they are quitters and I have no respect for them whatsoever.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

jimbo (01-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They are part of a team and stick with team until the end. Otherwise in my book they are quitters and I have no respect for them whatsoever.
    Wow.

Okay-- you do you.

Hope you hold yourself to the same high regard.

Just curious: Are you still working at your first job?

At one point in time it wasn’t an overglorified spring game. Then Jake Butt happened.

I don’t blame the players as much as the system in general. How many coaches have switched teams already?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Levis is likely going to be a first round draft pick. Guaranteed tens of millions of dollars. Would be an absolute idiot to play Iowa in an absolutely meaningless bowl game.

As a fan it’s easy to say crap like “what a quitter!” But you really going to sit there and say you would risk $20 million to play in the Whataburger Bowl?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Wow.

Okay-- you do you.

Hope you hold yourself to the same high regard.

Just curious: Are you still working at your first job?
    Yes I am. How many of these guys have ever been injured in a bowl game that may have ruined a pro career? My guess is no more than a handful.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yes I am. How many of these guys have ever been injured in a bowl game that may have ruined a pro career? My guess is no more than a handful.
    I just mentioned Jake Butt earlier.

TE from Michigan projected to be a second round pick and tore his ACL in a bowl game. Ended up being taken in the fifth round.

I’d say there’s better examples though.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I just mentioned Jake Butt earlier.

TE from Michigan projected to be a second round pick and tore his ACL in a bowl game. Ended up being taken in the fifth round.

I’d say there’s better examples though.
    Jaylon Smith is the one who comes to most peoples' minds. His draft stock definitely fell after a brutal injury in the bowl game, but he still went early in the second round.

12. Likes:

WVRed (01-02-2023)

Smith was expected to be a top 5 pick before his injury. Got drafted 34th after his ACL tear. These are just the big names.

If you’re a lock to be a first round pick you’d be nuts to play in a non CFP bowl game.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

It's literally a gamble with millions on the line for some-- and an entire career on the line for others.

They're not quitters. They're businesspeople who are making what they feel of is the right decision for them and theirs.

Sucks to be a fan of that team, but you shouldn't fault the process.

It's literally a gamble with millions on the line for some-- and an entire career on the line for others.

They're not quitters. They're businesspeople who are making what they feel of is the right decision for them and theirs.

Sucks to be a fan of that team, but you shouldn't fault the process.
    The process sucks. Not the fans.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The process sucks. Not the fans.
    If the fans are calling teenagers and young adults in that decision "quitters," the fans need to take a step back and re-think their priorities, IMO.

Were I a player or coach on that team, I certainly wouldn't want those fans on my side.

If the fans are calling teenagers and young adults in that decision "quitters," the fans need to take a step back and re-think their priorities, IMO.

Were I a player or coach on that team, I certainly wouldn't want those fans on my side.
    We will just agree to disagree about al of this. I personally think team loyalty is more important at this juncture. Obviously you and many others don't. So I'll leave it at that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

We will just agree to disagree about al of this. I personally think team loyalty is more important at this juncture. Obviously you and many others don't. So I'll leave it at that.
    "Team loyalty"? Nah.

I can't get mad at a kid who is risking millions. Chris Rodriguez, should he get hurt, will not be drafted. Getting drafted gets his foot in the door. He's been playing toward this future since he first put on pads. Now, at the brink of possible success, you're asking him to play behind a suspect line after two different UK running backs have suffered career-threatening injuries this season?

Rodriguez would probably argue that he has to be more loyal to family and dream than to team.

Your mileage varies, obviously.

Turn Off Ads?