Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 UK Football: The March Continues

2022 UK Football: The March Continues

Keidron Smith, former Ole Miss defensive back starter, transfers to Kentucky for his Super Senior season. He should be of great help, after Vito Tisdale's injury. Might see him as either a corner and as a hybrid safety/ nickel/ medium.

Left tackle is an issue that could be solved by a summer transfer addition. (There will be several guys announcing their intent to transfer soon.) Right tackle looks like it'll be Jeremy Flax. Those were the only issues on the offensive side of the ball. QB Will Levis, RB Chris Rodriguez, the TE position (four deep), and (gasp) the interior linemen, and (gasp) WR look pretty solid.

Defensively, the front seven are as strong as they've been under Stoops. Lots of depth with quality players pretty much across the line and backers. Defensive backfield remains thin. Extremely so. Lots of true freshmen and redshirt freshmen on the second unit that should be filled by more experienced players. Opposing teams will look to throw early and often, I suspect.

Right now, they're a top 25 pre-season team and may push for inclusion in the top 15-- if they can find a gem or three on the open market. Left tackle, safety/ middle, and cornerback are the spots keeping this team from perhaps another 10-win season (and maybe a little more, if they're lucky).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 UK Football: The March Continues

Here's the 2022 schedule. I see 8 wins for sure. UGA is a loss. The other three will be tough Florida, Ole Miss and Tennessee. All on the road. Going to Missouri won't be easy either.

https://ukathletics.com/sports/football/schedule/2022
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I’m curious to see if there will be a drop off from Liam Coen leaving for the Rams or if they will continue to build with Rich Scangarello.

Will Levis has the potential to play himself into a first round pick in next years draft. Kentucky has added two receivers from the transfer portal in Tayvion Robinson and Jamal Baker to replace Wandale. Cutting down on picks will be key.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kentucky go into the Swamp again and come out with a win. Napier is rebuilding everything in Gainesville and it’s week 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What's good is that Kentucky is a veteran squad.

Remarkably few instances wherein they have to depend on young guys. Instead, if the young guys are better, they play. If not, you have a dependable veteran pretty much everywhere.

Aside from left tackle and corner.

IMO, if they can find a transfer pickup at corner and at left tackle, the Cats can win 10 or even 11 games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    What's good is that Kentucky is a veteran squad.

Remarkably few instances wherein they have to depend on young guys. Instead, if the young guys are better, they play. If not, you have a dependable veteran pretty much everywhere.

Aside from left tackle and corner.

IMO, if they can find a transfer pickup at corner and at left tackle, the Cats can win 10 or even 11 games this season.
    It’s a good thing Kentucky has been able to keep them together and not have them look for better opportunities for NIL through the transfer portal.

WVU is an example of what I’m glad UK isn’t turning into. Losing top contributors who are all conference due to better marketing opportunities.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There’s been some talking heads predicting Kentucky to beat Georgia in Lexington and as a possible dark horse SEC East Champion.

Beating Georgia is possible but they are heading to The Swamp in week 2 without Chris Rodriguez who is facing a DUI suspension. Tennessee and both Mississippi schools could be problematic as well.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    There’s been some talking heads predicting Kentucky to beat Georgia in Lexington and as a possible dark horse SEC East Champion.

Beating Georgia is possible but they are heading to The Swamp in week 2 without Chris Rodriguez who is facing a DUI suspension. Tennessee and both Mississippi schools could be problematic as well.
    Every year in the SEC is tough.

This year lines up far better than any they've had since maybe 1977.

Georgia is far superior.

Everyone else is beatable. And you could argue that they should be favorites against everyone else-- Florida absolutely included.

- - - Updated - - -

This does not mean they're going to win all but a couple of games-- Kentucky will lose a game they shouldn't because that's what they do.

But the talent level in Lexington is just as good as the talent level in Knoxville or in either Mississippi school.

I agree. Florida may have a new coach but they probably still have more talent than UK. UK rarely beats Tennessee so I always put an L by that game until they prove me wrong. Without a bunch of key injuries they should have 8 wins. With some luck they may get to 10 once again this year. Stoops is setting the bar higher every year. We will see if they can continue to clear that bar.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I agree. Florida may have a new coach but they probably still have more talent than UK. UK rarely beats Tennessee so I always put an L by that game until they prove me wrong. Without a bunch of key injuries they should have 8 wins. With some luck they may get to 10 once again this year. Stoops is setting the bar higher every year. We will see if they can continue to clear that bar.
    The expectation this season should be at least nine wins, IMO.

I disagree about the talent levels on the Florida and Kentucky football teams this season. Dan Mullen left them in some pretty dire straits-- and the receiver room and offensive line are works in progress. (That helps UK quite a bit, considering how early this game is.) Kentucky, pretty clearly, has the better WR depth/ starters, TE, and OL. They're pretty even in RB and QB too.

Defensively, while the Gators return nine starters, the defense was underwhelming all season last year. UF has a really thin line, good LB, and questions in the backfield. They gave up a ton of points last season. Maybe Brenton Cox is the truth. Then again, maybe not. Regardless, I like UK's defensive front far more (their depth is, IMO, third-best in the SEC behind Alabama and Georgia) and their LB just as much. Florida has the better backfield.

That game is eminently winnable.

I disagree about the talent levels on the Florida and Kentucky football teams this season. Dan Mullen left them in some pretty dire straits-- and the receiver room and offensive line are works in progress. (That helps UK quite a bit, considering how early this game is.) Kentucky, pretty clearly, has the better WR depth/ starters, TE, and OL. They're pretty even in RB and QB too.

Defensively, while the Gators return nine starters, the defense was underwhelming all season last year. UF has a really thin line, good LB, and questions in the backfield. They gave up a ton of points last season. Maybe Brenton Cox is the truth. Then again, maybe not. Regardless, I like UK's defensive front far more (their depth is, IMO, third-best in the SEC behind Alabama and Georgia) and their LB just as much. Florida has the better backfield.

Floridas (UF, not the state) talent level is so bad that they brought in Billy Napier just to help with recruiting alone. That’s his bread and butter. It will take awhile for him to rebuild the culture there. Tennessee is even favored to beat Florida this year and that rivalry has been pretty one sided since Fulmer left.

That said I’m nervous about Kentucky going into the swamp for two reasons:

1. Levis didn’t look all that sharp in the spring. For all the NFL Draft hype I worry that his success was more defined by Wandale Robinson and not through Levis’s own abilities. Kentucky is losing a lot on offense and someone will have to step up.

2 Chris Rodriguez will almost certainly be suspended. Ramon Jefferson is getting rave reviews but combined with my concerns of Levis it could be a game that ultimately sets the tone for the season.

Have I mentioned I hate playing in Gainesville in Game Two every other year?

Floridas (UF, not the state) talent level is so bad that they brought in Billy Napier just to help with recruiting alone. That’s his bread and butter. It will take awhile for him to rebuild the culture there. Tennessee is even favored to beat Florida this year and that rivalry has been pretty one sided since Fulmer left.

That said I’m nervous about Kentucky going into the swamp for two reasons:

1. Levis didn’t look all that sharp in the spring. For all the NFL Draft hype I worry that his success was more defined by Wandale Robinson and not through Levis’s own abilities. Kentucky is losing a lot on offense and someone will have to step up.

2 Chris Rodriguez will almost certainly be suspended. Ramon Jefferson is getting rave reviews but combined with my concerns of Levis it could be a game that ultimately sets the tone for the season.

Have I mentioned I hate playing in Gainesville in Game Two every other year?
    Isn't Rodriquez suspended the first three or four games? Maybe that's not official yet? Anytime you go to the swamp its difficult. I would never put that as an automatic win. They will have a very tough time winning down with Rodriquez or not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Isn't Rodriquez suspended the first three or four games? Maybe that's not official yet? Anytime you go to the swamp its difficult. I would never put that as an automatic win. They will have a very tough time winning down with Rodriquez or not.
    I don’t think they officially announced it but that was what Jones reported a couple weeks ago Stoops was thinking.

I don’t think they officially announced it but that was what Jones reported a couple weeks ago Stoops was thinking.
    You are right. Iremember now that is where I read it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Will Levis looks like Joe Burrow tonight and not in a good way. The Big Blue Wall has sprung a leak.

Ahem.

UK's going to go 4-0 heading into an absolute battle with Ole Miss in Oxford. The Rebels will be ranked higher than Kentucky because that's what happens every year.

That game will go a long, long way to seeing what Kentucky can be.

Before that October 1 matchup, the Cats have got to fix their offensive line. It looked far better in the second half against Florida-- that would auger well for future games. Too, that game is likely to be the second one back for RB Chris Rodriguez. That should help a bit.

Defensively, they need to get more pressure on the QB, but that second half tonight was pretty spectacular. The corners look more than solid, the LB are good tacklers, and the defensive front can sub in seven good players.

Turn Off Ads?