Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds fire David Bell?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should fire Bell

13 10.24%
  • No they shouldn’t fire Bell

63 49.61%
  • Don’t care

51 40.16%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Fire Bell?

Re: Fire Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Not until they get mostly healthy and then still fail to win. To fire him with half of the opening day roster on the IL would look dumb.
    The team is run by cheap idiots, so I expect them to do the dumb thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    What exactly is Bell supposed to say? He can’t start throwing his players or his bosses under the bus.
    No, and I respect him for that. But I think this ship is sinking, or at least dead in the water with a pronounced tilt. And everyone, including Bell, senses it.

People can lay 0% of the blame on him for that, or not. I don't see anyone laying 100% of the blame on him.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Firing the manager on a team this bad is like taking your old junker car that you can’t get started, and giving it a car wash. It won’t fix anything, but it sure will look better.

David Bell is like Problem #20 on a list of problems with this team. And if the top five problems on the list would be fixed, I’m not sure there would even be a problem list for Bell to be on.

I know that mangers tend to be the scapegoats most of the time. And new managers always require time to implement their own staff, their own system, and ways of doing things. A change might take a couple seasons to see any turn around - see Zach Taylor and the Bengals. I really don’t want to see another knee-jerk change-of-gears move that serves no benefit.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 05-09-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-09-2022)

Reds general manager Nick Krall is not of the mind to identify a scapegoat. Not in the manager’s office, not on the coaching staff, not among the medical and training personnel.

“If somebody wants to blame somebody, they should blame me,” Krall said last Thursday after the Reds fell to 3-22.

Any Reds fan could name the actual scapegoats — owner Bob Castellini and his son, team president Phil Castellini. Neither has taken responsibility

Ken Rosenthal https://theathletic.com/3296706/2022...dians-yankees/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I would say fire Krall because he sure sucks at his job, but the dingbat Castellini's would just promote another incompetent yes man from within. Can we just fire the Castellini's?

Makes no sense to fire Bell this season. As many have said, the problems are not his doing and not within his power to solve. The issue, though, is that 2022 is going to leave a stain on the organization. Whether it's for 2023 or 2024, the organization is going to have to open all the windows and doors, turn on the fans and get some fresh air percolating through the place. The perception is going to have to be changed, and having a new manager is de rigueur for that. It would help if they bring in someone who's, superficially at least, pretty darn different from David Bell, IMO. At the very least, a non-relative of anyone in the front office.
    I think Bell is a good guy and probably someone they should try to keep in the organization if there's a spot off the field he'd be interested in. But he's a victim of an intolerable circumstance here.

When Bell is fired count on him managing elsewhere. He won't be "kept" in a subservient role is my prediction.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (05-09-2022),Ron Madden (05-09-2022)

Thanks. Can’t read article unless you take their offer. An offer I can refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When Bell is fired count on him managing elsewhere. He won't be "kept" in a subservient role is my prediction.
    Considering MLB's pattern of rehiring crappy managers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him elsewhere.

13. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Any Reds fan could name the actual scapegoats — owner Bob Castellini and his son, team president Phil Castellini. Neither has taken responsibility.

- Well yeah, they are diaper babies that have been handed everything their whole life. The don't have the muscles to admit fault.

“If somebody wants to blame somebody, they should blame me,” Krall said last Thursday after the Reds fell to 3-22.

- Don't worry. We did, along with a few others.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Considering MLB's pattern of rehiring crappy managers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him elsewhere.
    That's as old as the game.... the real problem is managers don't do what managers used to do, plus 90% of the fan base thinks that baseball managers (162 games) and football coaches (16) are the same.

So everyone has a complaint of some sort about the guy

16. Likes:

fondfoat (06-24-2022),LeatherPants (05-09-2022),Old school 1983 (05-09-2022),Revering4Blue (05-10-2022),Ron Madden (05-09-2022),Tom Servo (05-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I could see him managing elsewhere, sure. He’s a respected, even-keeled guy. But will he want to? Bell has had front office roles before (SF), and he may prefer to jump upstairs and stay in his hometown in a significant role. I don’t see him as the type of guy who’d be lost if he wasn’t in a dugout. But I could be wrong.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

On pace to lose 108 games. What is it going to take?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    On pace to lose 108 games. What is it going to take?
    You got a serious jones for the guy getting fired.

Why bring in a new guy when they are just going to continue to lose? All you're doing is setting the new guy up to fail. If Bell isn't the guy, you replace him when you are ready to make a run.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    You got a serious jones for the guy getting fired.

Why bring in a new guy when they are just going to continue to lose? All you're doing is setting the new guy up to fail. If Bell isn't the guy, you replace him when you are ready to make a run.
    The one exception might be if you are planning to bring in a new head of baseball operations to totally own the baseball side and give them the ability to hire who they want, not strapping them with who was already in place. But, I doubt that is the plan.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

22. Likes:

Chip R (06-24-2022),LeatherPants (06-24-2022),Ron Madden (06-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?