Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds fire David Bell?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should fire Bell

13 10.24%
  • No they shouldn’t fire Bell

63 49.61%
  • Don’t care

51 40.16%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Bell?

Re: Fire Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Absolutely. They never should have extended him.
    I just don’t get the hate. In the end, I don’t particularly care, since in 2022 the field manager doesn’t really make the decisions anyway, that’s done in the front office (who for the Reds are cheap and dumb). MLB managers all seem pretty generic.

They’re good for the front office, since they are the public face of the team and take the heat.

2. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-23-2022),Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I would say yes, but I'm afraid we couldn't find anyone else willing to take the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    I just don’t get the hate. In the end, I don’t particularly care, since in 2022 the field manager doesn’t really make the decisions anyway, that’s done in the front office (who for the Reds are cheap and dumb). MLB managers all seem pretty generic.

They’re good for the front office, since they are the public face of the team and take the heat.
    Yes. Pretty much all field managers now are told who to play and where to hit in the order.

6. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (04-23-2022),Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

I said don't care.

Do you know how sometimes we always say debate over the last guy on the bench or the last guy in the bullpen is meaningless because they have very little impact on the team's record? That's true, but those guys have more impact than the Manager or Coaches IMO. Bell isn't the reason this team is horrible and if they ever become a contender again, he or whoever the Manager is, won't be the reason for that either.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-25-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I don't "hate" Bell, I just think he's a net negative.

Firing Bell isn't going to transform this team to playoff-caliber. But it needs to be done.

Actually, I'm astonished that more people don't recognize the need to.
    Last edited by malcontent; 04-23-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I don't "hate" Bell, I just think he's a net negative. IMO, you have to try to isolate the factors, one by one, to evaluate them.

Firing Bell isn't going to transform this team to playoff-caliber. But it needs to be done.

Ok, so what is he doing/not doing (and not the analytics team/front office) that is the problem?

21st century managers, from what I understand, are primarily around to manage the clubhouse, and run the game using the front office’s plans.

I’m very curious what the people that want him gone thinks he’s doing wrong. (And again, in the end I don’t really care, because the next guy will be doing what the FO tells him to do too).

Ok, so what is he doing/not doing (and not the analytics team/front office) that is the problem?

21st century managers, from what I understand, are primarily around to manage the clubhouse, and run the game using the front office’s plans.

I’m very curious what the people that want him gone thinks he’s doing wrong. (And again, in the end I don’t really care, because the next guy will be doing what the FO tells him to do too).
    What does "manage the clubhouse" mean? Go over Votto's Instagram account?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

If you're penny pinching...why fire Bell to have to pay him to not manage while another gets money to manage this mess. Just save your $$$$ and let him ride it out.

It wouldn't matter, they'll just put another one of their kids or nephews or something in the management role.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still surprised by the amount of apathy.

Bell got the most out of the team last year. In its current form, Miller Huggins, Connie Mack and John McGraw combined aren’t making this a winner. I give Bell the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer. Once most guys are back from the DL and the schedule loosens up a bit, there better be some better results.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

Nope. This is not his fault at all.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

I’m in the camp that thinks that managers no longer matter anymore...mere puppets for the pinheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-23-2022),Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

Even if the Reds hired the best manager and best GM in MLB it wouldn't matter. When you have bad ownership you cannot overcome that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Even if the Reds hired the best manager and best GM in MLB it wouldn't matter. When you have bad ownership you cannot overcome that.
    At least in football you can luck into drafting an elite QB that can turn around the franchise immediately after sucking for a long, long time...

Turn Off Ads?