Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds fire David Bell?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should fire Bell

13 10.24%
  • No they shouldn’t fire Bell

63 49.61%
  • Don’t care

51 40.16%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Bell?

Re: Fire Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by CaribbeanRed View Post
    Agree with this. Bell wasn't great with the more talented Reds teams if I recall. Quite a few games where he screwed around a mismanaged the bullpen (Sean Doolittle?) and blew some games. I never have liked his in game management either. Lineup construction is wonky. He had that weird stretch where he got ejected all the time and seemed like he was putting on a show. I never have liked him.
    I think you've got it pegged about right CR .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bell is whatever, clearly not the problem. We fire him and roll with who, Freddie Benevides or Delino DeShields the rest of the way? Pass. At least Riggleman was genuinely better than Price, I don't see that here.

It is shocking in many ways to me that Zinter has even lasted this long after 2020, I guess he got the benefit of the doubt with Turner Ward being one and done. His head seems like the most obvious to roll.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Bell is whatever, clearly not the problem. We fire him and roll with who, Freddie Benevides or Delino DeShields the rest of the way? Pass. At least Riggleman was genuinely better than Price, I don't see that here.

It is shocking in many ways to me that Zinter has even lasted this long after 2020, I guess he got the benefit of the doubt with Turner Ward being one and done. His head seems like the most obvious to roll.
    I agree with you, Tom. Bell is not THE problem. But he has been A problem in a lot of games during his time here. Bottomline, he's not a very good manager.

On Bell's tenure with our beloved Reds, Yardbarker remarks, "There's nothing he's done to make the team significantly better."

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I agree with you, Tom. Bell is not THE problem. But he has been A problem in a lot of games during his time here. Bottomline, he's not a very good manager.

On Bell's tenure with our beloved Reds, Yardbarker remarks, "There's nothing he's done to make the team significantly better."
    He's like, middle of the road. I know people who only ever watch the Reds are convinced he's uniquely bad but a lot of his moves, specifically when he pulls starters and his bullpen usage, are in-line with what most managers do.

Now the thing last week where he used Garcia as a DH only for Stephenson to get hurt in the first inning, that was one the dumber things I've ever see a manager do. But overall I can guarantee his biggest detractors would not be particularly happier with anyone else.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

He's like, middle of the road. I know people who only ever watch the Reds are convinced he's uniquely bad but a lot of his moves, specifically when he pulls starters and his bullpen usage, are in-line with what most managers do.

Now the thing last week where he used Garcia as a DH only for Stephenson to get hurt in the first inning, that was one the dumber things I've ever see a manager do. But overall I can guarantee his biggest detractors would not be particularly happier with anyone else.
    Yeah, that was pretty weird. I doubt if a single Redzoner would have thought to try that one. Do you know if he was asked about that in a post-game interview?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree, that’s my point, it’s not just the garbage ownership. Krall is 100% incompetent.
    You can be either cheap or stupid and still win in baseball.

But as the Reds are finding out, you can't be both.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-24-2022)

Larkin.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

The thing that is irritating about Bell, is that he seems to want to ignore the most recent game and look to the next one. "We've got to go out and keep playing." A) Yes, you will be going out and playing tomorrow, or you will be sued for breach of contract, and B) at the end of the baseball season, the team will be judged on what they did yesterday, not what they will do tomorrow. It's one thing to stay positive, it's another to ignore history, and in Bell's dysfunctional way of doing the former, he's doing the latter. After a while, it starts to feel like there are no consequences for the players with Bell. He's like the school nurse: caring, but unqualified to do major procedures.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Why do you think that was Bell and not an analytics/front office decision? Seriously everyone, these guys aren’t making lineups and rotation decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Larkin.
    God no

13. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (04-24-2022),JFLegal (04-24-2022),Revering4Blue (04-24-2022),Ron Madden (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    God no
    Honestly: what Does Bell have that is better than Larkin?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Firing Bell would be like blaming water for sinking a ship that you didn't patch prior to setting sail.

I guess, if it makes you feel better.

I am not Bell's greatest apologist, not at all, but it was clear last year that guys loved playing for him. Obviously that doesn't make him a great manager, but the ghost of Sparky Anderson is not making this injured, hot mess of a roster he has into winners. Frankly, anyone who has any amount of vitriol for Bell should keep it quiet until ownership does SOMETHING. Firing Bell will be the easiest way for them to continue on with Uncle Phil and his bull in the china shop, getting better in a weird way, competing for a playoff spot.

Fix the ownership problem, patch the boat before worrying about the underlings and whether or not you left the coffee maker on as your boat sinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-24-2022),Ron Madden (04-24-2022)

I have no idea. I just know Larkin is still beloved for what he did as a player. What good would it do to his legacy to have him head up this hopeless crew that ownership has bestowed?

Its not as if he is an experienced manager, so expected results can vary wildly. And just like Bell, he would take many hits for ownership from fans for what they have given him to work with. Let Larkin be remembered for his World Series, his MVP, and taking the reigns from Davey. Not for being the easy face to blame for the fans, as I suspect old Uncle Phil is not going to be giving interviews for awhile.

Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Larkin.
    you don't listen to him call games on TV do you? i used to think he would make a good manager too. he would be very bad IMO based on some of the dumb things he says.

he's also a fan of the sac bunt ... and that's just a dealbreaker for me.

Larkin played and retired, he's never coached, worked a front office, not been a star.

That's everything Bell has done that Larkin has not.

This board is spiraling like a child on a sugar jag and it's pathetic

Look at the lineup today and then go fire Bell, be that franchise.

Pathetic

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (04-24-2022),Revering4Blue (04-24-2022),Ron Madden (04-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?