Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds fire David Bell?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should fire Bell

13 10.24%
  • No they shouldn’t fire Bell

63 49.61%
  • Don’t care

51 40.16%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Bell?

Re: Fire Bell?

Not a fan of Bell but I don't see him going anywhere any time soon. Zinter on the other hand...how is he still employed?

I will say this about Larkin, he criticizes players/the team in ways that I often agree with. At the end of yesterday's game, he immediately said he didn't appreciate the lack of energy and the lack of good ABs by everyone on the team.

Edited to add: I don't know what Zinter does as hitting coach, I just mean that he seems like an obvious scapegoat and I'm surprised he hasn't been fired yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

This board is spiraling like a child on a sugar jag and it's pathetic

Sometimes I wish they never shut down the message board on reds.com. This board has been spiraling ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    So you think that's a good reason to fire David Bell?

Then Fire Krall not Bell
    I’d vote for the clean sweep, but that’s just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larkin played and retired, he's never coached, worked a front office, not been a star.

That's everything Bell has done that Larkin has not.

This board is spiraling like a child on a sugar jag and it's pathetic

Look at the lineup today and then go fire Bell, be that franchise.

Pathetic
    I haven’t liked Bell since the day they hired him. He was a nepotism hire. Give me a break at the idea he paid his dues.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Honestly: what Does Bell have that is better than Larkin?
    I don’t see Larkin agreeing to a job where he’s a puppet of the pin heads....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I haven’t liked Bell since the day they hired him. He was a nepotism hire. Give me a break at the idea he paid his dues.
    The man had a career after he retired

You can't deny that

On October 31, 2008, the Cincinnati Reds named Bell the manager for their Double-A affiliate, the Carolina Mudcats.[15] Bell spent three seasons as the Mudcats manager. In November 2011 he was named manager of the Reds' Triple-A affiliate Louisville Bats.[16]

On October 23, 2012, the Chicago Cubs named Bell the third base coach for the Major League club.

On December 17, 2013, the St. Louis Cardinals announced hiring Bell as their new assistant hitting coach.[17]

From 2015 through 2017, Bell served as the Cardinals' bench coach. He left the team on October 20, 2017, to become the vice president of player development for the San Francisco Giants.[18]

9. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (04-24-2022),LeatherPants (04-24-2022),Ron Madden (04-24-2022)

Sometimes I wish they never shut down the message board on reds.com. This board has been spiraling ever since.
    i haven't voted in the poll or looked at the poll results, so you could be referring to the poll results here. but wouldn't you say most of the people posting in this thread do not agree that bell should be fired? that sparky anderson would lose 100 games with this patchwork roster? that's the vibe i get.

now, bell has never been popular among most reds fans and i get that. frankly i think it's well deserved. he's not a disaster as a manager, but he's not very good. does a few mind-numbingly dumb things every season. but he's definitely not the reason the 2022 reds stink. that is completely on the front office. and they've had horrible luck with injuries. the perfect storm (or really the opposite of such in our case).

God no
    Yes, but also hear me out here…it would get him out of the booth…
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (04-24-2022),JFLegal (04-24-2022),malcontent (04-24-2022),westofyou (04-24-2022)

i haven't voted in the poll or looked at the poll results, so you could be referring to the poll
    wasn't referring to this poll

wasn't referring to this poll
    seems like most posters on this site agree with you -- or at least people posting ITT.

and now i've looked at the poll results (and voted -- i voted i don't care). only 11% of redszoners think bell should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    seems like most posters on this site agree with you -- or at least people posting ITT.
    I said it has nothing to do with this poll or this thread.

I said it has nothing to do with this poll or this thread.
    oh, didn't know you said that. i just saw the post where you stated it was not about the poll.

The man had a career after he retired

You can't deny that

On October 31, 2008, the Cincinnati Reds named Bell the manager for their Double-A affiliate, the Carolina Mudcats.[15] Bell spent three seasons as the Mudcats manager. In November 2011 he was named manager of the Reds' Triple-A affiliate Louisville Bats.[16]

On October 23, 2012, the Chicago Cubs named Bell the third base coach for the Major League club.

On December 17, 2013, the St. Louis Cardinals announced hiring Bell as their new assistant hitting coach.[17]

From 2015 through 2017, Bell served as the Cardinals' bench coach. He left the team on October 20, 2017, to become the vice president of player development for the San Francisco Giants.[18]
    So a former MLB player with 12 years of big-league playing experience (none of it with the Reds), who had four years of experience as a minor-league manager (3 at AA, and 1 at AAA), five years of experience as a major-league coach, and one year of experience in the front office. Additionally, he acquired that experience while working for four different organizations, so he was exposed to a lot of different ideas. Sounds like he spent 10 years working on building a solid resumé for his first major-league managerial job.

If his name were "John Smith", nobody would have complained. But because his grandfather was the Reds centerfielder 65 years ago, and his father was the Reds third baseman 35 years ago, people get up in arms about "nepotism"? On top of that, he's a Cincinnati native and a Moeller grad, which normally Reds fans love.

I just dont get the venom against Bell.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

19. Likes:

CySeymour (04-24-2022),herbdizzle (04-24-2022),LeatherPants (04-24-2022),pedro (04-24-2022),Ron Madden (04-24-2022),westofyou (04-24-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    The thing that is irritating about Bell, is that he seems to want to ignore the most recent game and look to the next one. "We've got to go out and keep playing." A) Yes, you will be going out and playing tomorrow, or you will be sued for breach of contract, and B) at the end of the baseball season, the team will be judged on what they did yesterday, not what they will do tomorrow. It's one thing to stay positive, it's another to ignore history, and in Bell's dysfunctional way of doing the former, he's doing the latter. After a while, it starts to feel like there are no consequences for the players with Bell. He's like the school nurse: caring, but unqualified to do major procedures.
    And then there is this Bell koan from just yesterday: “It’s tough losing. We have very competitive guys who care a lot,” said Reds manager David Bell. “Naturally, you’re going to press and try to do too much. That’s what’s going to get us going. We need to continue to work hard until we can break through.”
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?