Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Sigh. Game 53 of the 1982 Reds season saw the team fall to the Padres in old Jack Murphy stadium 6-5. The Reds were bested that day by future friend CHRIS WELSH - Welsh improved his record to 4-1 on the season with 7 2/3 of Frank Pastore-like pitching (he scattered 9 hits and 3 BBs and only struck out 2) - he allowed four runs but only 1 was earned. Eric Show - a few years later to serve up a noteworthy single in baseball history and then sit on the mound like a weird baby about it got the hold. Greg Harris, one of the seemingly innumerable pitching Greg Harris' started and took the L for the Reds. The only HR in the game came from the Reds' Mike Vail. Sixto Lezcano had a 2b and Luis Salazar a 3b for the Padres. The Reds and Padres combined for 22 hits - SEVENTEEN OF THEM SINGLES. Hoo boy.

This loss dropped the 1982 Reds to 22-31. Our current edition of the Reds is 18-35. 53 games into the seasons and our current crew still four games off the 1982 Reds' 100-loss pace.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

It has been eight days since we updated - how we looking?

In game 61 of the 1982 season the Reds beat the Giants 7-3 which raised their record to 26-35. Mario Soto cruised to the W over someone names Mike Chris. Soto raised his record to 6-4 with 8 1/3 innings of nine hit ball - 8 Ks and 4 BB. A few runners in the 9th got Hume on for a cheap save, his 13th. Cesar Cedeno hit two homeruns and his slash line as of the end of the game was .321/.369/.471. His OPS was second on the club a this point only behind Dan Driessan's .307/.390/.486. That's...really frickin' quite good, Driessan. The REALLY bad slide that sent this club to 100 losses started on June 26, so ten games yet before the swoon arrives.

This year's beloved Reds are at 22-39, so as with our last update eight days ago, still four games back of the 1982 Reds pace. Again, I expect this year's edition to cruise past the danger zone at some point in July. Hope so. The slide the 1982 team was about to go on is not one I want to see this team match...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

The way this current Reds team might finish its run to 100+ losses is relatively straight-forward and the path foreseeable. Mahle and/or Castillo dealt in July and then Ashcraft and Greene hit their innings limits shortly thereafter. That would leave six weeks to cover with...Minor and maybe the return of Lodolo and...Vlad? Others from AAA? Not sure where the starting pitching innings will come from in that scenario. Not enough quality ones anyway. If that comes to pass then 100 losses is certainly doable.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (06-24-2022)

In game 66 of the 1982 season, after dropping the first 3 of a 4-game series and having previously lost 2 of 3 in Chavez Ravine to the reigning World Series champs, the 1982 reds salvaged the finale of the 4-game series at Riverfront against the Dodgers with a 10-2 win. Mario Soto emphatically got the better of Bob Welch in this one. Soto's record improved to 7-4 with the complete game win - 2.46 ERA on the season. 10 Ks 5 BB and the 2 runs both earned as he scattered 5 hits. Eddie Milner was the hitting star with a HR and 4 RBI on a 2 for 3 day while also drawing 2 walks. He swiped a base too. Also collecting 2 knocks were Oester, Bench and Dreissen. Householder went 0 for 3 dropping his average to .178. I am starting to think that he may live up to the hype... One of the 2 Dodgers runs came from a solo HR from the penguin. That would be Ron Cey for those not old enough to have known him by that moniker.

the win brought the 1982 Reds record to 28-38.

The 2022 Reds fell to 23-43 with the loss today, now 5 games behind the pace of the 1982 Reds.

7. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-20-2022),M2 (06-20-2022),REDREAD (06-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    In game 66 of the 1982 season, after dropping the first 3 of a 4-game series and having previously lost 2 of 3 in Chavez Ravine to the reigning World Series champs, the 1982 reds salvaged the finale of the 4-game series at Riverfront against the Dodgers with a 10-2 win. Mario Soto emphatically got the better of Bob Welch in this one. Soto's record improved to 7-4 with the complete game win - 2.46 ERA on the season. 10 Ks 5 BB and the 2 runs both earned as he scattered 5 hits. Eddie Milner was the hitting star with a HR and 4 RBI on a 2 for 3 day while also drawing 2 walks. He swiped a base too. Also collecting 2 knocks were Oester, Bench and Dreissen. Householder went 0 for 3 dropping his average to .178. I am starting to think that he may live up to the hype... One of the 2 Dodgers runs came from a solo HR from the penguin. That would be Ron Cey for those not old enough to have known him by that moniker.

the win brought the 1982 Reds record to 28-38.

The 2022 Reds fell to 23-43 with the loss today, now 5 games behind the pace of the 1982 Reds.
    This is going to end up really close. Depends on who is and who isn't traded in July.
    But if they lose both Castillo and Mahle. Plus you gotta figure at some point Greene will be shut down. The rotation down the stretch could be really bad.

9. Likes:

fondfoat (06-20-2022),M2 (06-20-2022)

Yeah, that tracks my thoughts in post 93 above. If we trade even one of Mahle/Castillo and Greene and Ashcraft hit their innings marks by early to mid- August, I have no idea how this team has enough starting pitching left to cover the innings needed for the last six plus weeks of the season. In that scenario they could indeed make a run at 100 losses.

The not-so-nice game 69 mark - in game 69 in 1982 the Reds fell to the Padres 7-6. The Count, John Montefusco started and was rocked for the Padres, going down for the...count after 5 1/3 of 8 hits and 5 earned runs. Unfortunately, Greg Harris for the Reds lasted a mere 2 1/3 allowing 6 runs but only one of those earned. It became a bullpen battle late, with the Padres scoring once in the 9th off of Bob Shirley to make it the 7-6 final. Future baby Eric Show got the win in relief. Hitting starts for the Reds were Driessen 3 for 6, Duane Walker, 4 for 6, and WAYNE KRENCHICKI 3 for 6. Welcome to the this day in 1982 Reds baseball thread Wayne. I have the fondest possible memories of Krenchicki because he was dealt some years later for Norm Charlton. No HR for the Reds. Sixto Lezcano went deep for the Padres.

With the loss, the 1982 Reds fell to 30-39. Over the next 23 games the 1982 Reds would go only 4-19 resulting in John McNamara's firing on July 20, 1982.

The current Reds stand at 23-46 - seven games off the 69-game pace of the 1982 101-loss Reds team.

The next 19 games represents fertile chances for the 2022 Reds to cut into this deficit.

Feel the excitement. Bathe in it.

Thus endeth this update of Redszone's least favorite running feature.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (06-24-2022),cumberlandreds (06-24-2022)

The not-so-nice game 69 mark - in game 69 in 1982 the Reds fell to the Padres 7-6. The Count, John Montefusco started and was rocked for the Padres, going down for the...count after 5 1/3 of 8 hits and 5 earned runs. Unfortunately, Greg Harris for the Reds lasted a mere 2 1/3 allowing 6 runs but only one of those earned. It became a bullpen battle late, with the Padres scoring once in the 9th off of Bob Shirley to make it the 7-6 final. Future baby Eric Show got the win in relief. Hitting starts for the Reds were Driessen 3 for 6, Duane Walker, 4 for 6, and WAYNE KRENCHICKI 3 for 6. Welcome to the this day in 1982 Reds baseball thread Wayne. I have the fondest possible memories of Krenchicki because he was dealt some years later for Norm Charlton. No HR for the Reds. Sixto Lezcano went deep for the Padres.

With the loss, the 1982 Reds fell to 30-39. Over the next 23 games the 1982 Reds would go only 4-19 resulting in John McNamara's firing on July 20, 1982.

The current Reds stand at 23-46 - seven games off the 69-game pace of the 1982 101-loss Reds team.

The next 19 games represents fertile chances for the 2022 Reds to cut into this deficit.

Feel the excitement. Bathe in it.

Thus endeth this update of Redszone's least favorite running feature.
    They may not cut into that deficit any over the next 22 games. Reds have started a very tough stretch of games. I only see 4 games against teams on their level. Three in Chicago next week and one gamer against the Pirates in July. The other series are against the Giants,Cards,Braves,Rays and Yankees. They won't lose them all but I can't see them winning any more 6 or 7 games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

membengal (06-24-2022)

IMO, if the Reds are going to avoid 100 losses, they need to play well against the Cubs and Pirates. Lots of games against those two teams left, and both those teams are pretty bad.
    They need to play at least 500 against them.

If they play bad against those two teams, I think they lose 100 even if they keep Mahle and Castillo all year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

16. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-24-2022),membengal (06-24-2022)

In game 72, the 1982 Reds began a nine game losing streak. Why did this happen? Well, they were a bad team, frankly. But also, I place the blame on THIS 9-game losing streak on what happened here, in game 72. The baseball gods were displeased and exacted a punishment. What happened? Mario Soto started, tossed TEN INNINGS of shutout ball, allowing 3 hits and 1 walk while striking out 10. No decision. In this one, the Reds fell 2-0 in 14 innings. Jim Kern threw two additional scoreless innings. Then Tom Hume tossed a scoreless 13th before taking the hill again in the 14th and giving up the only 2 runs of the game. The Reds had 8 hits scattered over the 14 scoreless innings. Just...sad. 31,000 in attendance at some point during the game, probably not by the end.

The 1982 Reds fell to 31-41 with the loss.

Our current crew is 25-47 - six games off the pace.

It's go time to make up ground. The 1982 Reds are about to do a LOT of losing up to John McNamara's dismissal on July 20.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-27-2022 at 06:21 PM.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-27-2022)

In game 72, the 1982 Reds began a nine game losing streak. Why did this happen? Well, they were a bad team, frankly. But also, I place the blame on THIS 9-game losing streak on what happened here, in game 72. The baseball gods were displeased and exacted a punishment. What happened? Mario Soto started, tossed TEN INNINGS of shutout ball, allowing 3 hits and 1 walk while striking out 10. No decision. In this one, the Reds fell 2-0 in 14 innings. Jim Kern threw two additional scoreless innings. Then Tom Hume tossed a scoreless 13th before taking the hill again in the 14th and giving up the only 2 runs of the game. The Reds had 8 hits scattered over the 14 scoreless innings. Just...sad. 31,000 in attendance at some point during the game, probably not by the end.

The 1982 Reds fell to 31-41 with the loss.

Our current crew is 25-47 - six games off the pace.

It's go time to make up ground. The 1982 Reds are about to do a LOT of losing up to John McNamara's dismissal on July 20.
    I think I remember that game. Soto was sensational at times. Just too bad he didn't pitch for them during the BRM years. He may have won 30 games one of those seasons. He also pitched a game in which he had a no hitter until the last batter. I think it was George Hendrick who homered off him to break up the no hitter and the game. I don't remember the year of that game. But he had a lot of games like that in which he deserved better fate.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

20. Likes:

membengal (06-27-2022)

Was gonna wait to update until after this afternoon's game but I was up early to start smoking a pork shoulder so, now it is...

In game 77 the 1982 Reds lost their 6th in a row, falling to the Braves 4-2. I would term the loss "desultory". One of the two Reds runs was unearned, future friend/world champion Rick Mahler scattered 6 hits - all singles - and a walk over 7 innings and Gene Garber had a two inning save. Mario Soto did NOT have it in this one, 5 hits and 5 BB in 6 2/3. His ERA rose to 2.42 w/ 4 earned runs. Bench's 0 for 3 day saw his season slash line fall to .219/.292/.320. Sad. The Braves themselves only had one extra base hit - a double. I don't specifically remember this game but I also don't recall watching paint dry in the summer of 1982 either...

With that loss the 1982 Reds record fell to 31-46. The current Reds stand at 26-51 - still five games off the pace of the 101-loss 1982 Reds team.

At least you knew if you were a reds nerd like me and subscribed to their Reds Report that they had a minor league system that had been successful. That had players coming without the bad taste of previous rebuilds. That FO. Scouts. Were trusted. Some of the best in baseball Top 10 until Marge scorched earth of what good are scouts all they do is watch games mantra took over. They had sone high pick clunkers like Larry Payne. This org has more clunkers and a tougher time bringing in players that produce like the Cardinals. Even though the Cardinals have a lot of flash on the pan players like Allan Craig.
    Carlos Martinez.

They get enough of these who have India type seasons for a year or 2 while making a trade that brings in a rebound player or pick the right FA to sign. Letting the right one go. Or getting lucky. Like Pujols.

23. Likes:

membengal (07-07-2022)

Ok, finally a moment free and since we are between games of the DH - time to catch this up -

In game 82 of the 1982 season the Reds, fresh off snapping a 9-game losing streak, fell to the Pirates 9-8. This one was...um...this one was bad. Reds trailed 4-2 going into the 9th, and then put six SIX SIIIIX on the board in the top of the 9th at Three Rivers to take an 8-4 lead as they looked to win their second in a row. Instead, the '82 Reds pen saw Hume and Price crumble in just indescribable ways as the Pirates rallied for a five spot to win by the aforementioned 9-8 count. I am too depressed re-living this to go into more details. Soto started. He was opposed by Manny Sarmiento. Kent Tekulve blew the save but got the win. Parker, Bill Madlock and Stargell all homered for the Pirates. I am sad anew.

That horrible loss dropped the 1982 Reds record to 32-50. The 2022 Reds w/ their loss in game 1 of the DH today fall to 28-54 - still 4 games off the 101-loss pace of the '82 Reds.

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-07-2022)

It was 20 years ago today The Cincinnati Reds lost 101 games now they’re back again to lose another 100 games but where you gonna go? to watch such a horror show. It’s the 2022 Cincinnati Reds we hope you will enjoy the show. The 2022 Cincinnati Reds sit back and let the tears flow. I really don’t want to start the show but I thought you’d all like the know that the owners son is going to sing a song. And he wants you all to sing along. Now let me I introduce to you the only and only Bobby C.

What would you do if I gave away most of the good players we have. Got little return and spent no money on the pen.
    Oh well where else you gonna go? Oh well where else you gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?