Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

On may 13 1982 the Reds beat the Pirates 2-1 to move their record to 14-17.

The 2022 Reds are 7-24 - so 7 games back.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

In game 29 of 1982, Frank Pastore improved to 4-2 and dropped his ERA to 2.90 with 6 and 2/3 innings of 6 hit 4 BB 1 K but only 1 ER baseball. In hindsight, 11 year old me should have understood that Frank was doing what he was doing with a LOT of smoke and mirrors...

In the aforementioned in the above post game 31- Bruce Berenyi outdueled John Candelaria but didn't get the win -that went to Joe Price who came on the 8th and then Tom Hume got his 8th save of the season. Bench with a 2b AND a 3b in that game.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-12-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    In game 29 of 1982, Frank Pastore improved to 4-2 and dropped his ERA to 2.90 with 6 and 2/3 innings of 6 hit 4 BB 1 K but only 1 ER baseball. In hindsight, 11 year old me should have understood that Frank was doing what he was doing with a LOT of smoke and mirrors...

In the aforementioned in the above post game 31- Bruce Berenyi outdueled John Candelaria but didn't get the win -that went to Joe Price who came on the 8th and then Tom Hume got his 8th save of the season. Bench with a 2b AND a 3b in that game.
    To me Berenyi was always a what could have been. I think he could have been very good if not for the wildness.
    Membengal don't feel bad I was 15 at the time and didn't see that Pastore was a time bomb and getting by on luck.
    Seaver always talked him up big. So that was good enough for me.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2022),membengal (05-12-2022)

The 1982 Reds won 7-2 over the Mets to bring their record to 16-19. Modest two game winning streak - Charlie Leibrandt got the W with 7 innings of 2 run ball - 8 hits 0 walks and 5 Ks. Lowered his ERA to 2.19. Paul Householder went 2 for 5 with a triple to raise his average to .209. No homeruns in the game for the Reds. Old friend George Foster went 1 for 4 for the Mets - his average at .211. Spoiler alert - the 1982 Reds were on the about to embark on a 6 game losing streak.

Which brings me to 2022 - the Reds are at 9-26 and 7 games behind the 1982 Reds. Course, there is about to be six games worth of opportunities to cut into that deficit for this current crew.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Whatever gets us to the Colts season, right ?
    Fixed
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

9. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (05-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Fixed
    No, some of us are gearing up for watching a Super Bowl team rather than a team who couldn't even make the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, some of us are gearing up for watching a Super Bowl team rather than a team who couldn't even make the playoffs
    Born in Cincy. Raised in Indy. I'll be happy either way.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (05-17-2022),Revering4Blue (05-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Born in Cincy. Raised in Indy. I'll be happy either way.
    How about a Bengals-Colts AFC title game?

14. Likes:

CySeymour (05-18-2022),mth123 (05-17-2022),Revering4Blue (05-29-2022)

May 17, 2022, Cincinnati Reds reach double digits in victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    How about a Bengals-Colts AFC title game?
    Wait what? You're a Reds fan since the 70s but a Colts fan?
    Bengals was around in the 70s but Indy didn't even have a team.
    How can a huge Reds fan from Ky be a Baltimore Colts fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I predict the Bengals will win the 2024 Super Bowl. Baltimore not Cincinnati will win the division this year and the Bengals will be a wildcard team and lose first playoff game this year.
    Just too hard to make back to back Super Bowls. And let's face it they got super lucky last year.
    The NFL is the biggest rigged sport there is. They were going to give the Rams as many chances as they need to score a TD down on the goal line. That was comical how obvious the fix was in. Bengals will be the darling media team this year and they will fail miserably. And be the comeback story in the 2023 season as they won't be getting near the media attention then.

18. Likes:

bm1475 (05-20-2022)

in game 39 of the 1982 season the Reds lost to the Expos 4-2, their fourth loss in a row, to drop to 16-23 on the season. As mentioned a few posts ago, they would go on to lose two more so the current Reds in a stretch where they can make up some ground. Frank Pastore was bested by Scott Sanderson. Warren Cromartie homered for Montreal.

Unfortunately, our beloved 2022 team is spinning its wheels a bit again and with today's loss sits at 11-28, five games off the 1982 Reds pace.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-21-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Game 41 in 1982 saw the last loss of the 6-game losing streak I previewed a few posts back. The Reds got beat by a little-league-esque 9-1 count by the Phillies. Old friend, gambling buddy, and, as it turned out, creep, Pete Rose went 1 for 4 with a run scored and an RBI. Future friend Bo Diaz did real damage with a 2 for 5 two runs scored three knocked in (including a HR) off Tom Seaver. Opposing Seaver that day was fellow war horse Steve Carlton. Hall of Famers appearing in that game Mike Schmidt, Johnny Bench, Seaver, Carlton and, in the non-HoF but noteworthy baseball accomplishments wing...Rose. Other random Phillies that day if you want aging synapses to fire for the 50 and over readers (Bob Dernier, Del Unser, Manny Trillo, Ivan DeJesus, the Garys -Maddox and Matthews).

That loss dropped the 1982 Reds to 16-25. The 2022 Reds are 12-29 and four games back of the 1982 pace. The current team picked up three games during the 6-game 1982 Reds losing streak finishing up with the above covered loss to the Phillies - cutting the deficit from 7 games to 4 over the last six game stretch.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-24-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Game 46 in 1982 saw the Reds beat the Expos in Montreal 7-3. (editor's note: Olympic Stadium was ugly as sin in terms of watching a game on TV - reportedly not much better in person). Frank Pastore SCATTERED 10 hits in 5 2/3 to get the W over future friend Bill Gullickson. Reds HRs that day from Mike Vail, Eddie Milner, and Ron Oester. It was the second HR of the season for each of them. The Expos must have been annoyed to see such powerful bats breakout... Al Oliver homered for the Expos.

That took the 1982 Reds record to 19-27. Our current hard-charging Reds are 16-30. Given the very bad summer swoon that was about to befall the 1982 Reds starting in mid-June, and the better ball being played by this year's edition, looks like this edition should be cruising past the 1982 pace within a month's time.

Game 50 - the 1982 Reds beat the Mets 8-3. Tom Seaver with the W against his old team to bring his record to 2-6 on the season. Rafael Landestoy appeared in the box score for the Reds in this one. So did German Barranca. And Mike O'Berry. Oh lord, the synapses that are firing in my old brain as I peruse those names. No HRs for the Reds, Eddlie Milner with 2 hits, Concepcion with 2, Oester with 3 and Driessan with 4 as the top of the order did station to station work. But seriously, SEVENTEEN hits for the Reds, but only two extra base-hits (a 2b and a 3b). A young, pre-discovery of the splitter in Houston Mike Scott took the L and was probably mad about BABIP.

That brought the 1982 Reds to 21-29. Our current hard-charging Reds are 18-32.

I know I didn't start this feature, but will retire my contributions to it when our current team gets five games ahead of the pace of the 1982 Reds. I am pretty confident that will happen in the next month.

23. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-03-2022),fondfoat (06-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?