Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Marlins don't hit well, but they pitch quite well. Os are one game under .500 in a brutal AL East. Not pushover games, I suspect.
    Orioles have snuck up on me this year. They have been better than expected.

Looking at the schedule for August, Reds only have 8 home games. That is a killer.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-25-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I’m in a quandary.

One side of me wants to see the Reds lose badly over the rest of the season to show how badly the front office has bungled things up.

But watching the team play, the guys really are giving it their all. I can’t really fault the players or coaching staff.

So I will continue to be have wild mood swings about these dang Reds. Beer with the occasional bourbon chaser seems to be a palliative treatment.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-25-2022),cumberlandreds (07-25-2022),Revering4Blue (07-25-2022),RFS62 (07-29-2022),Ron Madden (07-25-2022),wally post (07-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’m in a quandary.

One side of me wants to see the Reds lose badly over the rest of the season to show how badly the front office has bungled things up.

But watching the team play, the guys really are giving it their all. I can’t really fault the players or coaching staff.

So I will continue to be have wild mood swings about these dang Reds. Beer with the occasional bourbon chaser seems to be a palliative treatment.
    I'm rooting for Votto to mash, India and Senzel finding their offensive strides, the trade candidates hitting and pitching well until dealt, and everyone who doesn't profile to be a part of the team next season being so bad that the Reds lose anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’m in a quandary.

This years team vs. the mighty '82 squad? Same dog, different fleas.

And I recommend a Jack Daniels IV drip.

- - - Updated - - -
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

8. Likes:

M2 (07-29-2022),Ron Madden (07-29-2022),Roy Tucker (07-29-2022)

Hey 62 - nice to see you again.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

RFS62 (07-30-2022),Ron Madden (07-29-2022)

In game 105 of the 1982 Reds season the Reds beat the Dodgers at Riverfront 5-1. The Reds, terrible, beating the defending world series champs by that score at this juncture in the season? I will give you one guess who was on the mound for the Reds...

...Yes, it was Soto. Complete game - six hits, 3 walks, 1 ER, 10 Ks. His ERA on the year at 2.50. 9-7 record for a team that is at 39-66 at this point. For those of you who were not privileged to have been alive to be a Reds fan during the Soto years, I genuinely believe, with apologies to Jose Rijo and Johnny Cueto, you missed the best Reds pitcher of my lifetime (circa 1970 - present). Future temporary friend Jerry Reuss took the L for the Dodgers (2 runs over 6 innings not good enough) and 2 hits from Eddie Milner and Mike Vail each paced a 9-hit reds offense. No homeruns in this one, two doubles for the Reds and four doubles for the Dodgers among their six hits. And yet, just the 1 run. God, Soto was good.

So, the 39-66 1982 Reds are three games behind the 42-63 mark of our current Reds - the current Reds are just ahead of a 100-loss pace.

Course, the worry expressed in this thread by me and several others is that once the trade deadline came and went the starting pitching would potentially be pretty exposed to kids pushing innings limits and AAAA dreck and, lo and behold yesterday arrived with Greene to the DL and AAAA dreck getting thumped. This season's chance at 100 losses remains...
    Last edited by membengal; 08-06-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-06-2022),cumberlandreds (08-06-2022),KeefeCato (08-07-2022),M2 (08-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    In game 105 of the 1982 Reds season the Reds beat the Dodgers at Riverfront 5-1. The Reds, terrible, beating the defending world series champs by that score at this juncture in the season? I will give you one guess who was on the mound for the Reds...

...Yes, it was Soto. Complete game - six hits, 3 walks, 1 ER, 10 Ks. His ERA on the year at 2.50. 9-7 record for a team that is at 39-66 at this point. For those of you who were not privileged to have been alive to be a Reds fan during the Soto years, I genuinely believe, with apologies to Jose Rijo and Johnny Cueto, you missed the best Reds pitcher of my lifetime (circa 1970 - present). Future temporary friend Jerry Reuss took the L for the Dodgers (2 runs over 6 innings not good enough) and 2 hits from Eddie Milner and Mike Vail each paced a 9-hit reds offense. No homeruns in this one, two doubles for the Reds and four doubles for the Dodgers among their six hits. And yet, just the 1 run. God, Soto was good.

So, the 39-66 1982 Reds are three games behind the 42-63 mark of our current Reds - the current Reds are just ahead of a 100-loss pace.

Course, the worry expressed in this thread by me and several others is that once the trade deadline came and went the starting pitching would potentially be pretty exposed to kids pushing innings limits and AAAA dreck and, lo and behold yesterday arrived with Greene to the DL and AAAA dreck getting thumped. This season's chance at 100 losses remains...
    I've probably already said this once on this thread. Too lazy to look. So I'll say it again. 85-88 Reds would have won at least 1 western division title with a healthy Soto. No doubt in my mind.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-07-2022),membengal (08-07-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I've probably already said this once on this thread. Too lazy to look. So I'll say it again. 85-88 Reds would have won at least 1 western division title with a healthy Soto. No doubt in my mind.
    I wonder if having Mario on those teams would have changed Pete's gambling fortunes?

In Game 110 of the 1982 Reds season, the Reds fell to the Padres at Jack Murphy stadium 4-1. Andy Hawkins beat Soto in this one. Six hits for the Reds, only one for extra bases - a double from Driessan. The box score shows Dave Van Gorder, Wayne Krenchicki and Householder all starting. At Jack Murphy, a notorious pitcher's park in its day. Feel the excitement. The Padres also only had 6 hits with just 1 double but that same line yielded four runs for them, as opposed to the one run the Reds got with the same output. Such is life, I suppose. And baseball. Especially when the Padres rec'd 4 BB and the Reds no BB. Life's mysteries, revealed.

With the loss the 1982 Reds stood at 40-70. So bad. And this was second game of what became a 5-game losing streak (again). Our 2022 Reds are 44-66 - four game ahead of the 101-loss pace of the 1982 Reds.
    Last edited by membengal; 08-11-2022 at 10:56 AM.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-11-2022),Ron Madden (08-11-2022)

In game 122 of the 1982 season, the Reds, carrying an actual 4-game winning streak, played the 8th game of a 10-game homestand, welcoming the Phillies to Riverfront. The Phillies were rude, smushing the 4-game winning streak with a 9-2 beatdown. Dick Ruthvan went all nine, and, as I've noted so often in these random recaps, did so while scattering a LOT of hits. In this case 10. He also walked 2. K'd 7. Allowed only the two runs. Greg Harris for the Reds got pretty thoroughly thumped, allowing 12 hits in just 4 1/3. Not...optimal. Sub-optimal really. Clearly, less than optimal. By a decided amount. The Phillies tallied 17 hits in total, but, NO homeruns. Just 4 doubles. Future good friend Bo Diaz (RIP Bo) had four hits for the Phillies. Garry Maddux had three, Greg Vukovich matched Maddux with four knocks.

With the loss, the 1982 Reds fell to 46-76. With tonight's loss, the current edition of the Reds stands at 48-74. The current Reds drifting back to the cusp of a 100 (or 101) loss pace...
    Last edited by membengal; 08-25-2022 at 07:17 AM.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-25-2022)

Unfortunately I and couple of my buddies attended a doubleheader against the Padres on July 31. Reds were swept. Sixto Lezcano had a big day for the Friars with three home runs in the two games. Seaver pitched the first game and got roughed up for 4 runs on 10 hits. He was in the middle of maybe his worst season in the majors. Dave Concepcion had pretty heated argument with the home plate umpire in the first game and was ejected. IIRC, Concepcion had to be restrained from getting at him. I guess all of the losing had finally got to him. This was just a shocking season to someone like me who had seen nothing but winning in just over a decade I had followed them. But little did I know that in another 20 years I would be all too familiar with constant losing.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

goreds2 (08-26-2022),membengal (08-25-2022),Roy Tucker (08-25-2022)

Turn Off Ads?