Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

For better or worse, I bonded to that 1982 club. I was 12 years old in 1982, and I attended my first-ever MLB game that year (Opening Day vs. the Cubs). The BRM clubs of the mid 70's -- and even the 1979 NL West Champions and the contending teams of 1980 and '81 -- held an almost mythic status with me, but the 1982 club (as bad as they were) was very real. I had grown as a fan, and this was my team.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2022),CySeymour (04-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    1982 was just a big belly drop. You have remember that in 1981 the Reds had the best record in baseball but didn't go to the playoff because of the stupidity of the split season. Literally first to worst. Yes the BRM players were aging and some had already left like Rose. Perez and Morgan. You knew it was just a matter of time anyway. But Dick Wagner decided to move the process along and let go Foster, Griffey and Dave Collins. The entire outfield! If he had kept just a couple of those guys it may have been a smoother transition in the 80's. IIRC the Reds had a decent pipeline of prospects that eventually made it. So 1982 was really tough to take especially for someone like me who had seen the Reds have nothing but success for most of those years I had been a fan, since 1971. I knew that year how the other half felt who always had bad teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Collins left as a free agent, and Foster and Griffey Sr. were traded. The problem was they got no actual building blocks back in either trade. Sound familiar?
    Trading Ray Knight for the dried-out husk of Cesar Cedeņo wasn't exactly a red-letter trade, either.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-26-2022)

Collins left as a free agent, and Foster and Griffey Sr. were traded. The problem was they got no actual building blocks back in either trade. Sound familiar?
    I knew Foster was traded. They got the great Alex Trevino in that deal. I couldn't remember the other two for sure. The two should not have been traded but that was Dick Wagner trying to put his stamp on being a GM. Just terrible.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The 1932 Reds were way worse than the 1982 team and the franchise as a whole was more pathetic than them (and this team) by a far margin.
    The 1932 Reds at 60-94 were a sad outfit. But they can't match the 1934 team at 52-99. Perhaps the three missing
    games were because of some mercy rule.

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    The 1932 Reds at 60-94 were a sad outfit. But they can't match the 1934 team at 52-99. Perhaps the three missing
    games were because of some mercy rule.
    Probably true. They were -311 in RS and the bank owned the team. Manager Bob O'Farrell used to bring his golf clubs to the game and head to the course immediately after the loss.

Probably true. They were -311 in RS and the bank owned the team. Manager Bob O'Farrell used to bring his golf clubs to the game and head to the course immediately after the loss.
    Did the Reds change ownership groups between 1934 and 1939?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I knew Foster was traded. They got the great Alex Trevino in that deal. I couldn't remember the other two for sure. The two should not have been traded but that was Dick Wagner trying to put his stamp on being a GM. Just terrible.
    Also Jim Kern and Greg Harris.

Kern was near the end of his career, and was an unhappy camper in Cincinnati since the club required him to shave off his Amish-style beard. Harris later became an effective middle reliever in MLB, but that time hadn't arrived yet.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2022)

I know he was gone by 82. But for all the good Bob Howsman did. It's a crime he isn't in the hall of fame.
    But he made some horrible decisions as well.
    Gave away the likes of. Mike Caldwell,Joaquin Andujar, Tony Perez , Will Mcenany to a lesser degree.
    McRae trade ended up being horrible due to Roger Nelson injuries. Not Bob's fault. But for every Foster, Morgan and Seaver trades. He had as many head scratches. There are plenty more bad moves. These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2022)

Did the Reds change ownership groups between 1934 and 1939?
    Around 1934 MLB was experiencing the Depression like everyone else, there were rumors of teams moving (Cardinals to Detroit, which was one of the cities that was doing better than the others) The Reds were owned by Central Trust and wasn't interested in the business of baseball. But because they were local they had a vested interest in keeping the Reds in town. So the bank hired Larry McPhail and he in turn went looking for a big fish to own the team and convinced Crosley to buy in. Crosley was interested in the team as a resource for the city, but his greater interests were outside of the game, which in turn was best for the Reds in the long run.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2022),CySeymour (04-26-2022),Old school 1983 (04-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I know he was gone by 82. But for all the good Bob Howsman did. It's a crime he isn't in the hall of fame.
    Gave away the likes of. Mike Caldwell,Joaquin Andujar, Tony Perez , Will Mcenany to a lesser degree.
    McRae trade ended up being horrible due to Roger Nelson injuries. Not Bob's fault. But for every Foster, Morgan and Seaver trades. He had as many head scratches. There are plenty more bad moves. These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.
    Perez was the worst trade in the end. It destroyed the chemistry of the BRM. Howsam wanted Driessen in there everyday was the reason. In turn if they had traded Driessen instead they probably could have gotten a good pitcher who would have complimented Seaver.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Hal McRae was never going to work out in Cincinnati. Mcenany never was the same after he went to the Expos. I, personally don't think the Perez trade was as bad as history makes it. While what we got in return was pathetic, I don't believe having those players would've led to more success. Dan Driessen was going to have to be given his turn and being that he was 9 years younger than Doggie, the transition had to be done.

The 1977 Reds were doomed. The pitching staff was in disarray because players like Nolan and Billingham were finished and Gullett left in free agency. The relief staff had deteriorated fast as relief pitchers tend to do. And the let's not forget that the catalyst of the BRM, Joe Morgan was returning to his Astros numbers because age was catching up to him too.

To say Bob Howsam had as many bad trades as good ones is wrong IMO. His good trades outweigh his bad ones by a mile. Let's not forgetting the trades to acquire Clay Carroll, Tony Cloninger, Woody Woodward, Jim Merritt, Jim Mcglothlin, Pedro Borbon, Bobby Tolan, Wayne Granger, Tom Hall, Fred Norman along with key backups Jimmy Stewart, Angel Bravo, Ty Cline, Mike Lum, Bob Bailey, Bill Plummer.

So I find it difficult to dwell on bad trades of a GM that had a team average 98 wins a season throughout the 70s. I can't really see that record being any better if he'd kept those players. When he made a bad trade, he usually made a good one to make up for it.

19. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-26-2022)

The sorry 1982 season did net us some valuable pieces for the 1990 championship. We drafted Kurt Stillwell (who we flipped for Danny Jackson), Chris Sabo, Rob Dibble and Joe Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Trading Ray Knight for the dried-out husk of Cesar Cedeņo wasn't exactly a red-letter trade, either.
    Tom Seaver also had his worst season in his MLB career with 5+ ERA. That was kind of a karma thing too toward Wagner.

Then he started an Insurance Company in Terrace Park... YA Tittle had one in Palo Alto. Good name business for the ex-athlete before big salaries
    My dads insurance guy was Lou Groza.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2022),westofyou (04-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My dads insurance guy was Lou Groza.
    Great business for guy with local name recognition

Turn Off Ads?