Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I was in seventh grade for the fateful 1982 season / I love the nostalgia of this thread frankly and find it a good way to cope with the unfolding disaster that is this season.
    Honestly, that's a big reason why I started it. Gives us a chance to look back and reflect on something other than the Castellini product that we are having to endure. I love my Reds and will always be a fan but I am not a fan of these owners and what they've deprived us of---competitive, interesting, baseball.

Btw, with the Reds' loss in Denver last night, they currently stand 4.5 games behind the '82 Reds, who were idle on April 29 of 1982.

'82 Reds : 7-12 -----
    '22 Reds: 3-17 4.5 GB
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 04-30-2022 at 04:25 PM.

2. Likes:

membengal (04-30-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Gives us a chance to look back and reflect on something other than the Castellini product that we are having to endure.
    It's funny you say that.

Even when the Reds are doing well, I would typically put the game on either the radio or tv, more as background than anything else. Then when something good (or bad) would happen, I would look up from whatever I was doing and catch up with what happened. Baseball is cool like that. I'm having a pretty hard time with this year's bunch though. They are worse than any of the Bryan Price teams. Worse than the 82 team. They are potentially a multi-generational record-setting kind of awful.

So I started queueing up old games again on YouTube. I bailed last night once they were down more than one run, and started in on the NY broadcast of Mets vs Reds 1963. I make sure not to look at the box score beforehand. I have found it to be an enjoyable alternative to the Castellini-era dumpster fire Reds.

Vada Pinson had a good night last night. And so did that flashy newcomer Peter Rose.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

membengal (04-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's funny you say that.

Even when the Reds are doing well, I would typically put the game on either the radio or tv, more as background than anything else. Then when something good (or bad) would happen, I would look up from whatever I was doing and catch up with what happened. Baseball is cool like that. I'm having a pretty hard time with this year's bunch though. They are worse than any of the Bryan Price teams. Worse than the 82 team. They are potentially a multi-generational record-setting kind of awful.

So I started queueing up old games again on YouTube. I bailed last night once they were down more than one run, and started in on the NY broadcast of Mets vs Reds 1963. I make sure not to look at the box score beforehand. I have found it to be an enjoyable alternative to the Castellini-era dumpster fire Reds.

Vada Pinson had a good night last night. And so did that flashy newcomer Peter Rose.

You're one of my favorite RZ posters, and not just on baseball matters. Keep it up!!! I often watch old games on You Tube as well. Like to listen to vintage Reds' broadcasts as well... Al , Joe, and Marty. I got my first taste of beer after the Bob Moose wild pitch with Foster at the plate and McRae racing home. My pawpaw doused me with his beer in celebration. Great times!!! I hope my mind never goes so I can always have those memories.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I was in seventh grade for the fateful 1982 season / I love the nostalgia of this thread frankly and find it a good way to cope with the unfolding disaster that is this season.
    I was in high school during those years. I thought I had successfully repressed those memories not just of the awful Reds but my high school days as a ultra computer nerd.

I should have just sewn a “kick me” sign on the back of my shirt.

Thanks 2022 Reds for bringing back the past and dredging up my PTRD. (Post Traumatic Reds Disorder).

The Reds will have to win this evening to keep from falling further behind the '82 Reds, who defeated the Cardinals at Riverfront Stadium 8-2 on this date 480 month ago.

Ronnie Oester and Alex Trevino drove in two runs a piece for the Reds, who closed out the month of April with eight wins in twenty games played. Frank Pastore got his third win by scattering nine hits in a route-going performance . He also contributed offensively with a double, single and two runs scored. The Reds had a total of five doubles on the game , which was played before a Friday night crowd of 18,864 . Joaquin Andujar , who surrendered three runs(2 earned) and gave up eight hits in just four innings, took the loss for the Redbirds , who felt defeat for just the seventh time in 21 games on the season.

At this point the 1982 Reds still looked like at least a competitive .500 team. I was still feeling positive

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (05-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    At this point the 1982 Reds still looked like at least a competitive .500 team. I was still feeling positive
    I think only Bench and Trevino were sub-.260's in batting average among the April 30 starters.

I was right. Other than Bench and Trevino:

Milner .283
    Oester .294
    Concepcion .329
    Cedeno .269
    Biitner .375
    Driessen .264
    Pastore .286

1982 had a terrific Mario Soto. 257 innings of a sub 3 era. This year we got nothing, but where we gonna go?
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    1982 had a terrific Mario Soto. 257 innings of a sub 3 era. This year we got nothing, but where we gonna go?
    The equivalent of baseball hell, it appears.

I watched Reds vs Expos 1982 last night. I highly recommend it. I don't want to give away too many spoilers but it's funny how much has changed and how much has stayed the same.

Players complaining about inconsistent baseballs...

Bench at 3rd because he was on his last leg.

Seaver 1-6 because he was on his last leg.

Gary Carter had some Lorenzen-like guns.

And they were a far superior team to the 2022 Reds.

There's lots of gems in this broadcast though. Dick Enberg has blonde hair. Bob Costas looks about 12 years old. And the broadcast started with some folksy dude and an acoustic guitar singing a ballad in the locker room.

I won't say any more but this one was pretty fun to watch, and the picture quality is pretty good. Also, the commercials are hilarious.

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-01-2022),membengal (05-01-2022)

thanks for that link
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Thanks for posting that, Bob. That was fun stuff.

A few quick takeaways:

1. Seaver was definitely on his last leg but he never lost one thing- the knowledge of how to pitch. He could still get hitters out with his baseball intellect.

2. Players were called upon to bunt men over. Imagine that. I miss that part of the game.

3. Concepcion became such a better hitter as time went on. When he first came to the majors he was a slick fielder but weak hitter. As he matured as a hitter, he became a genuine offensive force with decent power as well. I think he even hit a homerun into the upper deck of Riverfront.

4. Bench probably played a couple years too long.

5. Costas with a "Hurricane" Hazle reference. Hazle played for the Braves, Reds, and Tigers in the mid-fifties. Only Bob would have made that reference.

6. Pitchers finished what they started forty years ago. Imagine that.

7. My sister thought Steve Rogers was "ruggedly handsome." I thought he was one tough , tough hombre. Had great movement on his offspeed stuff. Terrific pitcher. Unfortunate that he's maybe most remembered for giving up the playoff homer to Monday.

8. Larry Biitner , while past his prime when he was in a Reds' uniform, was a darn good Major League hitter and a solid all-around pro. Good fundamentally-sound ballplayer. When I think of Biitner, I think of Expos, not Reds.

9. Dick Enberg was one of my favorites. Loved him on Sports Challenge, a sports-trivia game show. He's right up there with Curt Gowdy, who I loved on American Sportsman and on NFL games.

10. Olympic Stadium didn't have the personality and character of Parc Jarry .

11. Tim Raines was a Reds' fan as a kid and Joe Morgan was his baseball idol.

12. Bob Sheed's correct ... the '82 Reds might have lost 101 games but they were better than the current Reds' team.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-01-2022 at 03:00 PM.

20. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-01-2022),fondfoat (05-01-2022)

I would play a lot of Roxy Music Avalon album to get through this season while preparing for the 1981 AFC Champions to play. Sounds all real familiar. Then the 1982 strike ruins the enjoyment of that year. Louis Breeden gets hurt in the SD Monday night game. Then they get run over by Freeman McNeill at home against the Jets. I could never figure out how they could not beat that team and always got run over by them. 1984 and 1985 too. Same thing with the Chiefs in 83. 84. 86. Cost them a playoff spot in 86.

The '82 Reds won on this day forty years ago over the Cardinals 10-1 at Riverfront. Concepcion had three more hits and a RBI but Driessen was the batting hero with a triple and a grand slam and five ribeyes. Soto went the distance for his first win of the season, giving up just five hits and a run. He also helped himself at the plate with two hits and a RBI. The Cardinals didn't like Mario's attempting to bunt for a hit in the seventh with a nine run lead. In true Mario fashion, he didn't give a sh!t.

The '82 Reds now have a 6.5 game lead over the '22 Reds.

'82: 9-12 ___
    '22: 3- 19 6.5

23. Likes:

fondfoat (05-01-2022)

Turn Off Ads?