Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Nick Krall On The Reds 3-19 Start

Re: GM Nick Krall On The Reds 3-19 Start

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I don't even blame Krall.

I'm sure he'd have loved not having been given the job and immediately told to drastically reduce payroll. On top of that, he'd probably appreciate a game plan that doesn't change based on how Castellini is feeling on a particular day.

It's one thing to be a cheap owner. It's another thing to constantly insert yourself in the process when you clearly suck at it.
    The front office gets plenty of blame. They are responsible for the personnel. I doubt Bob or Phil insisted that Sanmartin be the fill-in starter. Or that Reds choose Mike Minor to sign (currently with a sore shoulder).
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-02-2022 at 03:51 PM.

2. Likes:

Chainsaw (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    But they are free to do their job without constant meddling of ownership
    That’s not true, the owners tell them every offseason “this is where you need to be” - it seems to me Reds ownership did exactly that this offseason and Krall krapped the bed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

mth123 (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds team ERA is 6.19. It’s over a full run higher than every other team in baseball. This isn’t just bad luck, or the way the ball bounces. Not with numbers like that.
    DJ is not held accountable for this ….. because reasons

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s not true, the owners tell them every offseason “this is where you need to be” - it seems to me Reds ownership did exactly that this offseason and Krall krapped the bed.
    LOL, So you've never heard of Bob Castellini telling a GM of who he can trade or when to trade players?

8. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (05-02-2022),Red Raindog (05-02-2022)

Ownership in the past has forced the front office to move specific players and have blocked the front office from moving other players based on what they think fan reactions would be. What in the world makes you think they aren't still doing that?

I can't imagine that they let Krall attach Jesse Winker to Eugenio Suarez without their approval, I think it's much more likely they told him to do whatever it took to get rid of Geno's contract. Same with Gray.

And then ownership freaked out after the backlash to the Winker/Suarez deal and reversed course and added Pham, Minor, etc.

Krall isn't any good, but this is 100% on ownership.
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 05-02-2022 at 04:02 PM.

10. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (05-02-2022),InsaneinthBrame (05-02-2022),Red Raindog (05-02-2022),Redsfan6272 (05-02-2022),RiverRat13 (05-03-2022),Ron Madden (05-02-2022),wally post (05-03-2022)

DJ is not held accountable for this ….. because reasons
    If he is accountable should he be canned? Or do they look at the whole body of his work?

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If he is accountable should he be canned? Or do they look at the whole body of his work?
    No, he just completely gets a pass from everyone. Not even a “hey DJ, why do we have, by far, the worst pitching staff in baseball? Are you and the guys trying to make any adjustments?”

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    LOL, So you've never heard of Bob Castellini telling a GM of who he can trade or when to trade players?
    Well, obviously that wasn’t an issue this offseason since they trade or released 5 of the most popular players on the team.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The front office gets plenty of blame. They are responsible for the personnel. I doubt Bob or Phil insisted that Sanmartin be the fill-in starter. Or that Reds choose Mike Minor to sign (currently with a sore shoulder).
    When you have to cut a big chunk of salary, there's only so many ways in which you can do it. Were all well aware that Castellini has insisted on certain guys not being traded in the past too, further complicating things.

Also, I firmly believe that acquiring Minor was done in response to Castellini throwing a tantrum over the public's response to the Miley, Suarez, Winker and Gray exits. Same with some of those cheap FA signings.

My biggest issue is the doctors that gave the go ahead on the Minor deal (Justin Dunn too, but less of an issue because he was a throw in). With some of the recent injury history in the organization and its poor handling, you'd think Dr. Nick was in charge of things.

As for Sanmartin, it's not like they have a lot of other options. He was always one of the placeholders until Castillo got back. Last thing I want to see is one of the Reds prospects come up that isn't ready and it starts their service time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Ownership in the past has forced the front office to move specific players and have blocked the front office from moving other players based on what they think fan reactions would be. What in the world makes you think they aren't still doing that?

I can't imagine that they let Krall attach Jesse Winker to Eugenio Suarez without their approval, I think it's much more likely they told him to do whatever it took to get rid of Geno's contract. Same with Gray.

And then ownership freaked out after the backlash to the Winker/Suarez deal and reversed course and added Pham, Minor, etc.

I think ownership is absolutely the issue with the Reds. With that said, Krall is absolutely part of the problem. He’s horrible.

18. Likes:

NC Reds (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),wally post (05-03-2022)

I think it's fair to say no one in this organization is doing a very good job right now and there's plenty of blame to go around. I think the best thing we can do now is put a smart baseball guy in charge of personnel decisions and for ownership to get out their way. Jocketty may be about as good as we can come up with on short notice for that roll. Some major decisions need to be made this year in regards to Mahle and Casillo, and I wouldn't let Krall make those moves at this point.

20. Likes:

Jim (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Not resigning Wade Miley for $10 million, to then end up trading Amir Garrett for a similar Mike Minor is really all I need to know.

Serious question:
    Why would you trade Amir Garrett at the absolute bottom of his value, especially knowing Mike Minor is not going to provide any real value and you've already punted the year anyway. Honestly you would have been better off releasing Garrett and saving yourself from paying Mike Minor for the year.
    3rd option: They could have just kept Garrett- who hasn't given up a hit yet this season. (only 6 innings so small sample alert)
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

22. Likes:

mth123 (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post

It sounds like the edict was to get below a certain payroll figure first and then start figuring out who to add. So they dumped players for no return and by the time they got to the magic figure, the potential guys to add were all picked over. The could have done an orderly churn and ended up with the same payroll and a lot less retreads on the roster. Because of the edict, they exchanged quality players for aging has beens and journeyman never was types.

The Winker/Suarez, Pham/Minor moves were absolutely ridiculous. For 2022, those guys were basically a wash payroll wise. Letting Miley go for nothing as well. I thought the season was over as soon as the Miley move occurred. Had they kept Suarez, they wouldn't have needed Solano and Moran. That money would have brough Cueto to fill the hole they tried to fill with Minor. Just poor judgement all the way around.

Castellini may be behind it all, but Krall doesn't get a pass from me on those moves.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

24. Likes:

Crumbley (05-03-2022),Powder River (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022),Sassy Sal (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It sounds like the edict was to get below a certain payroll figure first and then start figuring out who to add. So they dumped players for no return and by the time they got to the magic figure, the potential guys to add were all picked over. The could have done an orderly churn and ended up with the same payroll and a lot less retreads on the roster. Because of the edict, they exchanged quality players for aging has beens and journeyman never was types.

The Winker/Suarez, Pham/Minor moves were absolutely ridiculous. For 2022, those guys were basically a wash payroll wise. Letting Miley go for nothing as well. I thought the season was over as soon as the Miley move occurred. Had they kept Suarez, they wouldn't have needed Solano and Moran. That money would have brough Cueto to fill the hole they tried to fill with Minor. Just poor judgement all the way around.

Castellini may be behind it all, but Krall doesn't get a pass from me on those moves.
    You are making the same faulty assumption that everyone here is making, that these moves were made with 2022 in mind. They were part of a larger effort to redesign the Reds into a lower payroll team that relies on young, cheap players. With so many bad contracts on the books, it was going to be ugly no matter what was done. They were going to have to cut out a chunk of the 2022 team.

Concerning the Winker/Suarez, Pham/Minor moves, they may be a wash payroll wise, but the Reds added two top pitching prospects and two young, cheap, role players with many years of team control. Pham and Minor were signed to help the 2022 team not suck so bad. That hasn't worked, but not because of those moves. Pham has been solid, and while Minor has been hurt, none of the possible replacements, Miley, Gray or Cueto, have been healthy enough to contribute this season yet either. My guess is none of the four produce much this season.

Krall's moves look real bad right now, but it's only 22 games into this season, a season that the moves weren't focused on anyway.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Not resigning Wade Miley for $10 million, to then end up trading Amir Garrett for a similar Mike Minor is really all I need to know.

Serious question:
    Why would you trade Amir Garrett at the absolute bottom of his value, especially knowing Mike Minor is not going to provide any real value and you've already punted the year anyway. Honestly you would have been better off releasing Garrett and saving yourself from paying Mike Minor for the year.
    If it was that in vacuum I’d agree. But the lockout occurred m between. I have a feeling he was told to cut dollars prior to the lockout, and that was the easiest way to do it. After the lockout, they moved more money, plus they knew they would actually play games, so the money opened back up. It’s use on Minor, considering his injury, is pretty moronic. But the whole they had Minor when they could have had Miley thing isn’t a one to one match unless it’s in hindsight. And we’ll..no matter which one they had, they’d still be shelved.

Turn Off Ads?