Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Nick Krall On The Reds 3-19 Start

Re: GM Nick Krall On The Reds 3-19 Start

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So they decided to cut salary and take the easiest path to do it, then "the money opened back up".
    How is that a plan? That seems like the worst possible way to execute an offseason.

Only 3 possible reasons why money "opened up"
    1. Fans got pissed, so owners upped the budget
    2. Krall cut more payroll than he had to , so he had some payflex. He actually thinks this is what "Rebuilding" is.
    3. The owners do not have a budget, everything is done by the seat of their pants. No plan.

So they either had no plan/budget (just reactionary) or Krall is incompetent.. or both.
    People are obsessed with short term plans. Maybe the plan was to cut long term salary this year, let the kids develop and add more long term salary in the next 2 seasons. Every little move doesn’t have to be part of some master plan. Bottom line is that Krall was probably told to cut salary. So he cut Miley. Then he cut enough salary more to add another pitcher and jacked it up. Frankly, I don’t think Miley brings much in a trade anyway. But that’s just me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They didn't get C+ prospects. They got 3 solid pitching prospects, all top draft picks with elite arms, all in the 100 top prospect category. Odds are the Reds will get a solid started and a reliever out of these three. They add to an already deep farm system, and that is the goal, deepen the farm. The more prospects, the higher the odds that some will develop into MLB players.
    I think your definition of a top prospect is way off, Hunter Greene is a top prospect, Nick Lodolo is a step down from him. Guys like Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed and Amir Garrett were steps down from that. All were in the top 100 prospect lists all over baseball. These guys are a step down from that. These guys are Sal Romano or Vlad Gutierrez. The Petty kid is young, we'll see which way he goes. The others I'm, pretty skeptical of being more than an interchangeable part.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),NachoMan (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds just had a four-year gut rebuild. Lost over 90 each season. We all looked to the long term. Not again, nope. Team owed the fans better than another tear down. There is no silver lining to this off-season.
    This time a million…
    Nothing but gas

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),Falls City Beer (05-02-2022),Fil3232 (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I guess this as good a place as any to post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reds/commen...e_against_the/
    the first comment has me still laughing...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds just had a four-year gut rebuild. Lost over 90 each season. We all looked to the long term. Not again, nope. Team owed the fans better than another tear down. There is no silver lining to this off-season.
    No one here is happy with the direction ownership took, especially me.

But accepting this is the direction. the moves themselves were solid ones in terms of the future. The main problem with the previous rebuild/tanking, was that the moves were mostly bad ones, aimed at generating as many losses as possible in order to get good draft picks. This one has a completely different approach and goal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

No one here is happy with the direction ownership took, especially me.

But accepting this is the direction. the moves themselves were solid ones in terms of the future. The main problem with the previous rebuild/tanking, was that the moves were mostly bad ones, aimed at generating as many losses as possible in order to get good draft picks. This one has a completely different approach and goal.
    They got one seeming blue chip back from all the talent that walked out the door: Williamson. They lit the roster on fire and you called them the Rays. Give me a break.

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),HammerTime (05-03-2022),membengal (05-03-2022),Mitri (05-02-2022),Powder River (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-02-2022)

Krall should stop apologizing and instead proclaim the Reds have achieved sustainability.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),Coopdaddy67 (05-02-2022),Mitri (05-02-2022),Powder River (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think your definition of a top prospect is way off, Hunter Greene is a top prospect, Nick Lodolo is a step down from him. Guys like Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed and Amir Garrett were steps down from that. All were in the top 100 prospect lists all over baseball. These guys are a step down from that. These guys are Sal Romano or Vlad Gutierrez. The Petty kid is young, we'll see which way he goes. The others I'm, pretty skeptical of being more than an interchangeable part.
    Lol, no they aren't.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Lol, no they aren't.
    Outside of Williamson, they’re absolutely scratch off tickets.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Krall should be the first to go. He's very likely the worst GM in baseball. Yes, payroll has been slashed. But that has happened over the course of multiple offseasons at this point, and still, his team is spinning wildly into an abyss. To be honest, I'm not even sure if this is rock bottom. With Krall remaining at the helm I could see continued bottom-3 finishes. The moves he made this offseason are questionable at best. Of course time will tell, but I'm not giving him the time to see how they pan out.

It's time for a new direction with a FO that has complete autonomy.

17. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-02-2022),NC Reds (05-02-2022),Powder River (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They got one seeming blue chip back from all the talent that walked out the door: Williamson. They lit the roster on fire and you called them the Rays. Give me a break.
    They added three top pitching prospects and two decent young role players. Williamson is the third best pitching prospect the received which reveals your understanding of what was received.

They also cleared over $35M in payroll over the next two years (not counting this year.)

The Reds got significantly younger, cheaper and added significantly to an already strong farm system.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Who are the decent role players? Maybe I forgot someone. Surely you don't mean Fraley/Dunn, possibly the worst acquisitions in Krall's entire tenure?

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-02-2022),M2 (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Revering4Blue (05-02-2022)

They added three top pitching prospects and two decent young role players. Williamson is the third best pitching prospect the received which reveals your understanding of what was received.

They also cleared over $35M in payroll over the next two years (not counting this year.)

The Reds got significantly younger, cheaper and added significantly to an already strong farm system.
    Williamson is by far the best talent of anything they received in trade. Yeah, they got cheaper, but they didn’t add talent. They just kicked the MLB roster to obscurity for several seasons. And they’re not done setting the roster even further away from relevance when they dump Castillo and Mahle later in the summer. They’re slashing payroll. That’s all they’re doing. The talent that comes back is of secondary concern.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),membengal (05-03-2022),Powder River (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Woo hoo, the Reds saved money!

24. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),Fil3232 (05-02-2022),membengal (05-03-2022),Mitri (05-02-2022),NachoMan (05-03-2022),Powder River (05-03-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022)

Let’s assume the pitching prospects the Reds received this offseason are as good as some contend—does it matter? The Reds haven’t demonstrated much proficiency at bringing pitching talent to sustained MLB success.

I also don’t think the pitching talent coming to Cincy is all *that* great shakes.

26. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-03-2022),Falls City Beer (05-02-2022),Mitri (05-02-2022),REDREAD (05-02-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?