Because of course
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-21-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Connor Overton Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because of course
    Overton isn't the future. Ashcraft might be. I don't see this as a big deal, though I was enjoying the Overton story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Overton isn't the future. Ashcraft might be. I don't see this as a big deal, though I was enjoying the Overton story.
    Overton might not be the long-term future. But if he could solidify the back of the rotation for a year or 2 that could be huge

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Overton might not be the long-term future. But if he could solidify the back of the rotation for a year or 2 that could be huge
    We'll be lucky if he can solidify it for a few more weeks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-21-2022),Banshee (05-22-2022),Mitri (05-21-2022),mth123 (05-22-2022),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2022),Roy Tucker (05-22-2022)

Overton was performing well at the time. This team needs that and he made them more fun to watch.

I try to “enjoy it while it lasts” with unexpected success so this stinks from that perspective

I know who Ashcroft is. I get it. With that said, I was enjoying the Overton Window.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

westofyou (05-21-2022)

Overton hurt his back picking the team up and making them somewhat respectable again. Seems like everyone's improvement started when he came in and restored order. I don't think he's a long term piece, but hope he can continue contributing.

Crossing my finders for Ashcraft, but it will take a longer stretch than one start to really read any meaning into what he might be.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I am interested to see how Ashcraft’s stuff translates. I’ll be happy if he becomes a solid bullpen piece but it’d be really big if he sticks as a back-end starter.

I am interested to see how Ashcraft’s stuff translates. I’ll be happy if he becomes a solid bullpen piece but it’d be really big if he sticks as a back-end starter.
    Ashcraft's stuff is elite-- he can top 100 with his fastball and has a massive slider. The question is his ability to locate it and whether hitters can adjust to what's coming and whether his reworked hips can handle the workload. He's almost certainly at least an interesting relief arm, a la Tanner Rainey or Lucas Sims.

What gives me hope is his elite ground ball rate-- it leads all of professional baseball at more than 70(!)%. That mixed with enough swing and miss (career 10% K rate, 8.3 this season) keeps hitters off-balance. Even when they square him up, they're beating the ball into the ground. Which means they need to string together good ABs, get lucky with two or three barrells in order to put up crooked numbers. Starters who have good K rates and elite ground ball tendencies tend to be very, very good. They also tend to throw tons of innings.

I think his

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-22-2022)

I almost wonder if Overton is phantom hurt so the Reds can get an MLB look at Ashcraft without having to make roster moves.

16. Likes:

Banshee (05-22-2022)

If he was struggling, maybe, but even the Reds wouldn’t do that with a guy pitching so well, would they?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I almost wonder if Overton is phantom hurt so the Reds can get an MLB look at Ashcraft without having to make roster moves.

18. Likes:

Chip R (05-23-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If he was struggling, maybe, but even the Reds wouldn’t do that with a guy pitching so well, would they?
    You wouldn’t think. But on the trip to Toronto they sure as heck weren’t going to ask Castillo or Greene to do that and give up a start.

Could the Reds rotation of the future evolve over the next couple of years to be:

Hunter Greene (R)
    Nick Lodolo (L)
    Brandon Williamson (L)
    Andrew Abbott (L)
    Graham Ashcraft (R)

with:

Connor Overton (R)
    Connor Phillips (R)
    Chase Petty (R)
    Bryce Bonnin (R)
    Christian Roa (R)
    Joe Boyle (R)
    Sam Benschoter (R)

as other options?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 05-24-2022 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Could the Reds rotation of the future evolve over the next couple of years to be:

Hunter Greene (R)
    Nick Lodolo (L)
    Brandon Williamson (L)
    Andrew Abbott (L)
    Graham Ashcraft (R)

with:

Connor Overton (R)
    Connor Phillips (R)
    Chase Petty (R)
    Bruce Bonnin (R)
    Christian Roa (R)
    Joe Boyle (R)
    Sam Benschoter (R)

as other options?
    Yes.

Yes, it could.

Except it's Bryce Bonnin. And Sam Benschoter is decidedly less likely to be much of anything than the rest of these guys. And they'd have to get really, really lucky for all of these guys to work out. And you're ignoring some pretty solid relief arms already on the Red team (Diaz, Solomon, Antone, Santillan, maybe Warren). And the draft will always add new arms. And guys like Carson Spiers, Stevie Branche, Brandon Williamson, and James Proctor might well develop. And they're almost assuredly going to sign some free agents to augment what they have.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-23-2022)

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon

Overton got some bad news today. MRI showed a stress reaction in his lower back. Said he’s out 6-8 weeks. He wasn’t expecting to hear that news and had been pitching with it. More later.
    Nothing gold can stay

24. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?