Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Connor Overton Appreciation Thread

Re: The Connor Overton Appreciation Thread

That is a serious bummer. Back stuff is permanent. I will be shocked if he ever pitches for the Reds again.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Must have broke it when he carried the the whole team out of that spin in Pittsburgh

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-23-2022),mth123 (05-23-2022),NebraskaRed (05-23-2022),Old school 1983 (05-23-2022),Roy Tucker (05-23-2022),SomeCallMeTim (05-23-2022),Tom Servo (05-23-2022)

This diagnosis fits in with how the season has gone for the Reds. Bummer for Overton.

I’m afraid to go see any Reds games fearing bad luck will befall me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Could the Reds rotation of the future evolve over the next couple of years to be:

Hunter Greene (R)
    Nick Lodolo (L)
    Brandon Williamson (L)
    Andrew Abbott (L)
    Graham Ashcraft (R)

with:

Connor Overton (R)
    Connor Phillips (R)
    Chase Petty (R)
    Bruce Bonnin (R)
    Christian Roa (R)
    Joe Boyle (R)
    Sam Benschoter (R)

as other options?
    No reason they couldn't add some outside help to the maybe couple of pitchers out of that list who pan out.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to feel terrible for Overton. I have no doubt it was going to end in flames fairly soon, but he was finally getting his shot and this happens. And so many years of work to get here. Dreadfull.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That is a serious bummer. Back stuff is permanent. I will be shocked if he ever pitches for the Reds again.
    Which is why, joking about FCB’s thin theory aside, I’m kinda concerned about Lodolo.

Lodolo will pitch, but it seems guys with back issues are constantly having flare ups, or injuries resulting from overcompensating for the back problem.

If Lodolo returned May 7 or whenever he was supposed to start after placed on the IL I’d be looking the other way on the matter. But now he’s in a mysterious no-man’s land. Caution is key here, but I’m concerned about the long term hiccups.

Just really terrible luck for Overton and the Reds. I think he had spent a long time in the minors and finally had gotten a big break with a Reds team that was desperate for starting pitching. He was making the most of it and then injury. I hope he can come back fully. He's the type of guy you root for to have good success.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

HokieRed (05-24-2022),Old school 1983 (05-24-2022),Ron Madden (05-24-2022)

You have to feel for a guy that has worked so hard to make it this far
    One of the few feel-good stories of the 2022 Reds season was the sudden jolt journeyman pitcher Connor Overton gave to their rotation over the past month. That only heightened the disappointment felt when it was learned Monday that Overton’s year will be interrupted for an extended period by a back injury.

Placed on the 60-day injured list, Overton was shut down from throwing for at least 6-8 weeks because of a bone bruise that caused a stress reaction in his lower back. He was initially scratched from Sunday’s scheduled start at Toronto but had planned to resume throwing on Monday. That changed when doctors went over his MRI exam and spotted the issue.

The MRI exam revealed a bone bruise caused by a stress reaction in his lower back.

Since joining the rotation on April 30, Overton is 1-0 with a 1.82 ERA in four starts and quickly became Cincinnati’s most dependable starter and the first to pitch at least six innings and have a quality start this season. In his last start, on May 17 at Cleveland, he worked 7 2/3 innings and allowed two earned runs and three hits for a no-decision in a 5-4 victory.

“It’s weird because I felt perfectly fine after seven innings. Two days later, I can’t walk,” Overton said. “I guess I had been throwing through it for a while but I didn’t feel anything.”

“I’m super bummed out,” Overton said. “It is extremely frustrating because I was in a good spot mentally and physically, or at least I thought. I was throwing the ball well. I felt like I was contributing to the team in a way I wanted to. It was another bump in the road, unfortunately. I’ve had surgeries where I’ve been out. Thankfully there is no surgery this time. Just a long period of building back up.”

Bell did not name a replacement in the Reds’ rotation for Overton, who had his next turn slated for Friday vs. the Giants. The short list of candidates should likely include No. 7 prospect Graham Ashcraft, who filled in for Overton on Sunday vs. the Blue Jays and pitched 4 1/3 innings while giving up two earned runs and four hits with two walks and three strikeouts in his big league debut.
    story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-p...y-injured-list

11. Likes:

UKFlounder (05-24-2022)

WTFF!!!

Man I just can't believe the injuries on this team. They are what they are, but it just feels over the top ridiculous. Feel really bad for Overton too.

I’m starting to think that maybe this isn’t the Reds’ year.

14. Likes:

Chip R (05-24-2022),Red in Atl (05-25-2022),UKFlounder (05-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?