Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Extending Castillo

Re: Extending Castillo

Just going to pop in to put down in writing my suspicion that Castillo is dealt w/ Moustakas for v2.0 of the Winker/Saurez return.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

boognish (05-20-2022),Kc61 (05-19-2022),Tom Servo (05-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Just going to pop in to put down in writing my suspicion that Castillo is dealt w/ Moustakas for v2.0 of the Winker/Saurez return.
    Boo!

If they did that with Mahle and used the money to sign Castillo and an OF bat, I'd be down with it. Though I still think they need another veteran starter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For those that support trading Castillo, would you do a 1 for 1 with the Twins for Royce Lewis.

Would either team say no?

What about Mahle to LAA for Adell?

Moose is providing what the Reds expected from him, .343 OBP, .749 OPS, so it is unlikely the Reds would want to trade him at this point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    For those that support trading Castillo, would you do a 1 for 1 with the Twins for Royce Lewis.

I don't think Minnesota would do it, but man did he rake in his cup of coffee. I've had him for a long time in my dynasty league, and I'm giddy for when he takes over the starting spot somewhere.

I realize I'm one of the recent anti-prospect guys, but Lewis is healthy and already showing he has the ability to hit major league pitching.

I think they can do better than Adell.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Moose is providing what the Reds expected from him, .343 OBP, .749 OPS, so it is unlikely the Reds would want to trade him at this point.
    I mean except for the fact that they don’t want to pay anyone anymore

I'd do Mahle for Lewis. For Castillo, I'd want another top 100 guy to go with Lewis.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Disagree.

According to Spotrac Moose is due $18 million for 2023 plus a $4 million buyout for 2024. Moose is playing fine, but that’s a very large remaining commitment to him.

If Reds had a deal to shed all or most of that contract, I think they’d probably do it. Depending on the other aspects of the trade, of course.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-19-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Disagree.

According to Spotrac Moose is due $18 million for 2023 plus a $4 million buyout for 2024. Moose is playing fine, but that’s a very large remaining commitment to him.

If Reds had a deal to shed all or most of that contract, I think they’d probably do it. Depending on the other aspects of the trade.
    Replacing his production would be costly too, probably not what he is getting paid but more than enough to make it a better value to keep him. Trading him would mean less in a trade with whomever he is packaged with.

The Reds are at where they think they need to be this year on payroll. Next year, even with Moose on the books, they will have significant payflex, in the tens of millions.

The only reason they would need to shed Moose’s contract is if the want next year’s payroll to be even lower than this years.

Replacing his production would be costly too, probably not what he is getting paid but more than enough to make it a better value to keep him. Trading him would mean less in a trade with whomever he is packaged with.

The Reds are at where they think they need to be this year on payroll. Next year, even with Moose on the books, they will have significant payflex, in the tens of millions.

The only reason they would need to shed Moose’s contract is if the want next year’s payroll to be even lower than this years.
    75, fine argument, but this is the Reds. At this point, Moose isn’t worth a $22 million season. I think it’s highly likely that they would try to include him in a trade.

The only question is whether other teams would be interested. This isn’t $11 million per year like Suarez. This is double that for 2023.

Yes on both.

Adell in LF and Lewis or Barrero in CF plus an expensive RF masher might be enough to be league average of, if some of those young guys pan out, slightly above.

They'd still need to sign or deal for some quality pitching to compete for a pennant. (But they should have the cash for that as well.)

Lewis and Adell are the high ceiling guys I’d like to go after in trades.

If you squint you can imagine most prospects with a high ceiling but I’m talking legitimate high ceiling players.

Of the 2 guys there, maybe only one pans out, that’s how it goes. Adell’s stock has fallen - maybe that opens the door there.

But enough of the middling, at best back-of-the-top-100-list guys coming back.

16. Likes:

mth123 (05-19-2022),Old school 1983 (05-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Lewis and Adell are the high ceiling guys I’d like to go after in trades.

If you squint you can imagine most prospects with a high ceiling but I’m talking legitimate high ceiling players.

Of the 2 guys there, maybe only one pans out, that’s how it goes. Adell’s stock has fallen - maybe that opens the door there.

But enough of the middling, at best back-of-the-top-100-list guys coming back.
    Name the high ceiling prospects that have been dealt recently. It’s a very short list, for good reason. It’s a nice thought, but not a very realistic ask.

Phil would literally kill to move Moose and his contract. The reason to trade him would very clearly either to reduce payroll, or invest it in better ways. Moose with a .750 OPS and terrible D is not what the Reds paid for. They were hoping for an .800+OPS and ability to play second base.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Turn Off Ads?