Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Drury

Re: Brandon Drury

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt

Brandon Drury needs 1 HR to set a new career high. There is just over 2 weeks until the ASG.

Players with at least one 10+ HR season before joining the Reds who set a new career high in HR before the all-star break in 1st season with

Reds (HR @ break/Prev High)
    2019 Derek Dietrich (18/16)
    2017 Scooter Gennett (15/14)
    2006 David Ross (12/10)
    1953 Gus Bell (22/16)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Drury is like three of those guys on that list. They have all taken advantage of GABP.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Drury is like three of those guys on that list. They have all taken advantage of GABP.
    Crosley Field was also hitter-friendly.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-30-2022),icehole3 (07-06-2022),Old school 1983 (06-30-2022)

It's mid season, the break is upon us. If the Reds are not shopping Drury, would he take a 3 year $10M deal? That's twice as much as he has made in the entirety of his career, makes him super attractive to trade next year if he's still hitting, and if the Reds actually progress, gives them a 3B until someone on the farm shows they can hit and man 3B.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

8. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (07-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's mid season, the break is upon us. If the Reds are not shopping Drury, would he take a 3 year $10M deal? That's twice as much as he has made in the entirety of his career, makes him super attractive to trade next year if he's still hitting, and if the Reds actually progress, gives them a 3B until someone on the farm shows they can hit and man 3B.
    If he’s a starting caliber veteran, with an .850 OPS, that’s not much money. Whatever he made in the past, I don’t see Drury signing for $3.3 million per season. If that’s the offer, I’d expect Drury to go into free agency and look for a higher annual salary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-06-2022 at 06:38 PM.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (07-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If he’s a starting caliber veteran, with an .850 OPS, that’s not much money. Whatever he made in the past, I don’t see Drury signing for $3.3 million per season. If that’s the offer, I’d expect Drury to go into free agency and look for a higher annual salary.
    He's about to be 30. The market may or may not want to pay him more than that.

The Reds seemingly have three total position player prospects, and all three play SS. They need to find medium term solutions where they can. 3/15 is probably cheap enough and expensive enough. I hope they at least make the offer. See? I just gave him a raise.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The Reds seemingly have three total position player prospects, and all three play SS. They need to find medium term solutions where they can. 3/15 is probably cheap enough and expensive enough. I hope they at least make the offer. See? I just gave him a raise.
    It doesn’t really matter if they all play SS. If you can play SS you can play anything. Especially 2B or 3B. EDLC, McLain, and Barrero could all shift to OF.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (07-26-2022)

It will probably be his only opportunity to get a somewhat large contract. Unless the Reds offer up a drastic overpay, I can't imagine an agent advising him to take an offer without at least exploring a larger contract elsewhere.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Keep seeing people wanting to extend Drury, and it’s like people don’t understand career years. So sell me on why they should extend a (soon to be) 30 year old that had a negative career bWAR heading into this season.

16. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (07-26-2022),Chip R (07-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Keep seeing people wanting to extend Drury, and it’s like people don’t understand career years. So sell me on why they should extend a (soon to be) 30 year old that had a negative career bWAR heading into this season.
    You don’t. You trade him and try to get a decent piece. I think he, Soalano, Pham, and Naquin could bring back some intriguing pieces.

18. Likes:

Chip R (07-26-2022)

Selling high on something always seems like the right idea until you're at the top and more easily able to imagine the possibility that it will keep on going... It's hard to cash it your chips when you're ahead and preclude the possibility of winning more.

In situations like this, I always think of Justin Turner. Through his age 28 season, he had been with 4 organizations and accumulated 0.8 WAR in just under 1,000 PA. Then, in his first year with the Dodgers at age 29, he put up 3.4 WAR in 322 PA. And then, over the next 7 seasons, he'd average 4.0 WAR. By nature of the event itself, that example is so much more memorable, more salient than the dozens of other players who finally put it all together for a year or two and then just as quickly fade away.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-26-2022 at 11:22 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-26-2022),757690 (07-26-2022),Assembly Hall (07-26-2022),icehole3 (07-26-2022),Old school 1983 (07-26-2022),RiverRat13 (07-26-2022),westofyou (07-26-2022)

Because the Reds don't have anybody coming anytime soon to play the positions that will be opening up when Drury, Pham, Naquin etc leave town. I wouldn't go overboard and I wouldn't turn down a trade for an impact prospect (which is unlikely), but a two or three-year extension on a reasonable deal isn't the worst thing this team can do. It all comes down to the price. 3 years, $15 Million would be the most he's ever made and he may go for it. The Reds would be smart to add him for that. If he wants $10 Million plus per year, then send him on his way.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2022),Revering4Blue (07-26-2022)

I would try to trade everyone eligible for free agency at seasons end.

24. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-26-2022),HammerTime (07-26-2022),HokieRed (07-26-2022),icehole3 (07-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I would try to trade everyone eligible for free agency at seasons end.
    A couple of obvious problems with that approach.

1) If the player(s) slump in the second half, their value goes lower. They already don't have marquee value, but players like Drury would have enough value at this point to possible bring back a solid prospect.

2) You probably reduce your market of motivated buyers who are willing to give actual prospects. Larger market teams in the offseason would probably prefer to address those needs with free agents instead of trading away prospects for role players.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

26. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-26-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

It's being pre-supposed in these discussions that those of us in favor of keeping him are ONLY in favor of keeping him at a reasonable price.

May not seem as though we have leverage here, but we do. In fact, I daresay he'll find only the most tepid of markets for his services.

No doubt GABP inflates his stats, as it does most everyone. GMs aren't dumb. They're not going to look at him and think he's going to put up these numbers in Arizona or Detroit.

Look at the horror stories of Jesse Winker and Nick Castellanos.

If the thrust of the Trade Drury movement is a reticence to overpay, I agree. I don't want him back at 14 mil. We're not going to have to pay that kind of money.

And for many of the referenced reasons herein, I don't think he's going to bring back anything of substance in a trade.

Drury's career numbers linked. He's only been a full time player 3 times.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rurybr01.shtml
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?