Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Drury

Re: Brandon Drury

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    Real lunch pail types

2. Likes:

bm1475 (05-10-2022),Ron Madden (05-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Though for a guy who generally dislikes everything about the Reds you sure fall in love fast with a lot of these randos.
    That's just BS. And I've never said the first word criticizing Solano.

I like Drury. I think the Reds need more players like him, not less.

Sue me.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-10-2022 at 03:18 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You're missing the point. He hasn't even had 100 plate appearances yet. Let's see where he is come season's end before thinking about extending him.
    Bingo....Kyle Farmer was hitting .280 less than two weeks ago.....now struggling to stay over .200.

Small sample sizes will bite you in the ass every time.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You're missing the point. He hasn't even had 100 plate appearances yet. Let's see where he is come season's end before thinking about extending him.
    OK, say he sticks in the lineup and has a career year. Bags 25 long balls and OPSes over 0.800. Knocks in 85 ribbies. Maybe you don't think he's capable of that?

But for the sake of argument say he does. What should the Reds offer him? Or should they just let him walk?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Is this a new Redszone tradition?

https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...-year-contract

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    OK, say he sticks in the lineup and has a career year. Bags 25 long balls and OPSes over 0.800. Knocks in 85 ribbies.
    You couldn't be describing Tyler Naquin any harder.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

9. Likes:

westofyou (05-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    You couldn't be describing Tyler Naquin any harder.
    Maybe so. But he's another guy I like, and I think he's likely to rebound.

There is no one other then India and Stephenson that should even be looked at for any LTC. And those guys it’s to avoid going to arbitration. One year max is all he should get offered. I would wait until more money is cleared and try and sign one impact OF. Which they don’t have in the minors and a starter. Then I would tell Cincinnati fans on 2024 Opening day to shut their freaking snot nosed traps.

Name:  D391EEC3-C537-4A69-9616-14FAFD8A6DBE.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  39.8 KB

I'm not in favor of giving him a long term contract but liked this story.
    This story was excerpted from Mark Sheldon's Reds Beat newsletter.

One of the few offensive bright spots of the Reds in a rough first month for the lineup has been infielder Brandon Drury. Just a month in, he already has six more big league plate appearances than he had in ’21 with the Mets.

Besides collecting hits -- including a six-game hitting streak that ended Tuesday and leading the club with six home runs -- Drury has also taken exceptional jumps in his hard contact.

According to Statcast, Drury’s barrel percentage is 17.7 percent this season (95th percentile in the Major Leagues) while he’s been at 7.4 percent over his career. His expected slugging percentage and hard-hit percentage also rank high.

“I felt like I’ve had pretty similar at-bats with the Mets. I didn’t have a lot of at-bats but when I was up there, I felt pretty similar to how I am now -- approach-wise and mechanics-wise,” Drury said.

During the offseason ahead of 2021, Drury returned to hitting with his father, Shane, while at home in Oregon and called it going “back to the basics.” The two worked together again this past offseason.

“I was being an athlete in the box and was just being natural,” Drury said. “The previous three years, I had made a swing change to try to lift the ball. I just completely forgot how to hit for three years. Before last year, I went back with my dad and just started doing all the stuff we used to do just to get back to my natural self. It’s been good. There’s always room for improvement but the at-bats have been solid. I have to continue to keep it simple and compete in the box.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/brando...asics-for-reds

13. Likes:

malcontent (05-12-2022)

As a general rule, it is unlikely, that a replacement level 29-year-old with a career 87 wRC+ has suddenly turned into an everyday player, let alone a all-star caliber player. And if he's merely a solid backup, you don't give him an extension in May unless it's something like 2 years for $4M total.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

15. Likes:

757690 (05-12-2022),CaiGuy (05-12-2022),mth123 (05-12-2022),Ron Madden (05-12-2022)

This cycle needs broken and Farmer is exhibit “A”.

Invest in your bonafide STARS not you “has beens” that temporarily show flashes of stars but flame out like asteroids.

I understand the skepticism, but the suggestion was 2/8, not 3/21 or 4/64.

I imagine the previous free agent and extension failures have led to the point where we now think of a 2-year-deal as a long-term contract, and the payroll limitations to where we view 8 million over two years as a major financial commitment.

We'll see how he does from here, assuming he isn't relegated to bench duty once India is back.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-12-2022 at 02:18 PM.

It is a bit encouraging to see that the results have come after a discernible change and not just doing the same thing he's always done

19. Likes:

malcontent (05-12-2022),Old school 1983 (05-12-2022),Revering4Blue (05-12-2022)

In 2008, Paul Bako put up a .820 OPS over his first 36 games and 113 PA’s as a Red. He ended with a .626 OPS and retired after 2009.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

RedsManRick (05-12-2022),Ron Madden (05-12-2022)

You don't lock up a Brandon Drury. You thank him for his service and you find the next Brandon Drury.

Or, even better, invest in better players with track records so that you don't need to find a Brandon Drury.

23. Likes:

RedsManRick (05-12-2022),westofyou (05-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?