Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Drury

Re: Brandon Drury

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In 2008, Paul Bako put up a .820 OPS over his first 36 games and 113 PA’s as a Red. He ended with a .626 OPS and retired after 2009.
    And yet some of us buy into it everytime...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    You don't lock up a Brandon Drury. You thank him for his service and you find the next Brandon Drury.

Or, even better, invest in better players with track records so that you don't need to find a Brandon Drury.
    I hope his fine service lasts till the trade deadline and I try to get something for him from some team looking for a bat.

You don't lock up a Brandon Drury. You thank him for his service and you find the next Brandon Drury.

Or, even better, invest in better players with track records so that you don't need to find a Brandon Drury.
    If he keeps it up they'll draw trade interest at the deadline and flip him for an outfield or pitching prospect. Same with Pham

And yet some of us buy into it everytime...
    Cuckoo Christensen

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hriscu01.shtml

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-13-2022),RedlegJake (05-29-2022)

Drury has over 1,700 at-bats in MLB, and he has been a contact-first hitter for most of them. As a rookie in 2016, Drury hit .286 with the Arizona Diamondbacks with a .458 slugging percentage. Before 2022, that was the best season of Drury’s career.

Even though he has hardly missed time in his career due to injuries, Drury has never had a season with more than 16 home runs or 63 RBI. In 2022, Drury is on pace to shatter those season-highs. Just past the quarter-mark of the season, Drury already has eight home runs, 10 doubles and 26 RBI.

Entering Saturday’s game, Drury leads the Reds in slugging and ranks 12th in the National League in that area. He’s having the best stretch as a power hitter that he has had in his eight-year career.

Drury, 29, has eight home runs, 26 RBI and a .493 slugging percentage in 2022. He has never hit at that pace as a power hitter in his career.

“I feel like I still have a lot to prove,” Drury said. “It’s been a solid start, but at the same time, I’m very hungry to prove who I really am as a baseball player.”
    story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    If he keeps it up they'll draw trade interest at the deadline and flip him for an outfield or pitching prospect. Same with Pham
    Reds might want to market Drury sooner rather than later.

His numbers are good. Barrero, Schrock, and maybe Solano should be coming back. The first two are currently rehabbing in the minors.

I would be looking for more pen help, a backup catcher, or pretty good prospect.

9. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-29-2022),Mitri (05-29-2022)

Bumped this because Drury's name had come up over on the Barnhart thread and I've been thinking of his numbers and the narrative about him, which reads "he's been a contact hitter but is now starting to show some power etc." Let me start by saying most emphatically this is not an argument that we should keep or extend him. Just an attempt to understand. I don't think the narrative quite fits: he has been a decent power hitter for some years whose OPS has been dragged down mostly by poor walk rates. In 2016 as a 23 year old, he had 48 XBH in 499 PA, 52 in 2017 in 480 PA, but over that period only about a 6% W rate. I don't know what happened to him in 2018--injury? but by 2019 he's with Toronto and again has respectable power stats: 37 XBH in 447 PA. But his walk rate fell to 5%. Then it looks to me like he's a guy who was totally screwed up by Covid in 2020 and a reasonable narrative might be that he is only coming out of that now. His XBH rate is back near, and a bit above (GABP?), his earlier rates: 21 in 190 XBH. But his walk rate is up a bit, 7.5% (maybe being pitched around just a little in Reds lineup). Two points: the XBH rates are not so out of line with earlier performance that they scream unsustainable and the guy has not been primarily a "contact" hitter but a reasonably powerful one with actually quite decent XBH rates over several seasons all the way back to his initial ones as a very young player.

I have no problem trading Drury to a contender if you get something decent in return. But, at this point, you don't take him out of the lineup if he's still on the team.

Drury has a 90.3 average exit velocity and a 48.1 hard hit% this year. That doesn't strike me as lucky TBH. Those numbers are very similar to what Winker and Castellanos did last year. If he keeps hitting the ball hard good things will keep happening IMO.

13. Likes:

malcontent (06-09-2022)

I just can't see him bringing back very much at all in a trade. If that is wrong, of course he should be traded. That being said, I would rather keep the team watchable and semi-interesting. One of the Reds biggest issues early this year and basically for many of the last few years has been depth. Guys like him give that.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-08-2022)

Not everybody brings back a top 100 prospect. If Reds see Drury in their future, fine, keep him, not that big a deal.

But with his good numbers this year he might fetch a useful prospect with upside. If you want a deep system, you need those types too.

I'm certainly no GM, but if I were I would opt to keep him rather than trade. I think the production he will give us the next year or two will be greater than the return he would bring in a trade. I would sign him for a couple of years.

18. Likes:

malcontent (06-09-2022)

Nobody is going to give up a good or worthwhile prospect for Brandon Drury based on two decent months.

20. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    The fact that the Reds aren't THAT far out of it (weak division) means the Reds should think about holding onto these guys should they make a push for a playoff spot.

It's healthy to be skeptical of a 29 year old breakout after 1700 MLB PAs. Is he the 128 wRC+ hitter like his most recent 190 PAs? Or is he the 83 wRC+ hitter he was for the first 1700?

Turn Off Ads?