Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Drury

Re: Brandon Drury

The doubles power from his early 20s has translated into more home runs in his late 20s. I don't find that to be a narrative difficult to believe in. I don't think he's a 40 HR guy now or anything, but .265/.325/.505 with 25 doubles, 25 home runs, and average defense is a solid little 3B.

I'd be ok with the Reds giving him a modest two-year extension. Trading him for a decent prospect makes sense too...

2. Likes:

malcontent (06-09-2022),mth123 (06-09-2022),Old school 1983 (06-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    The fact that the Reds aren't THAT far out of it (weak division) means the Reds should think about holding onto these guys should they make a push for a playoff spot.
    They are the worst team in the NL and are over 10 games out of the WC and division.

They are very much out of it. The sheer amount of teams they have to hurdle is a bigger problem than gaining 10+ games.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-14-2022),HokieRed (06-09-2022),Kc61 (06-12-2022),mth123 (06-09-2022),Tom Servo (06-09-2022),wolfboy (06-14-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-09-2022)

Brandon Drury is one of the few bright spots during an otherwise dismal season for the last-place Cincinnati Reds.

The 29-year-old Drury is having the breakout season the New York Yankees had banked on when they acquired him from Arizona in a three-team-deal with Tampa Bay Rays ahead of the 2018 season.

The Yankees traded Drury to the Toronto Blue Jays, along with outfielder Billy McKinney, in a deal for left-hander J.A. Happ ahead of the 2018 deadline.

After two-plus seasons in Toronto, Drury hit the open market and signed a minor-league deal with the New York Mets in January of 2021. Drury hit .274 in 88 games for the Mets last season, but spent part of the year down on the farm.

Drury left the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate in Syracuse in October and re-entered the free-agent market. He signed with the Reds back in March.

Drury drilled a three-run homer Monday, helping the Reds beat the Arizona Diamondbacks, 5-4.

It was Drury’s 12th home run of the season. ESPN projects Drury will club 32 home runs this season. His single-season high is 16, which he hit back in 2016 with the Diamondbacks.

“I’m excited to keep proving myself,” Drury said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We’ve still got a lot of games left but I’m looking forward to it for sure.”
    story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

7. Likes:

HokieRed (06-14-2022)

In April, when Cincinnati Reds infielder Brandon Drury made the Opening Day roster as the injury replacement for a backup infielder, he was only expected to be a platoon player against left-handed starting pitchers.

Then when second baseman Jonathan India and third baseman Mike Moustakas each missed half of the first month of the season, the window cracked open for Drury to get playing time. Two months later, Drury is one of the Reds’ most valuable players of the 2022 season.

On Monday at Chase Field, Drury hit the game-tying three-run home run as the Reds beat the Arizona Diamondbacks, 5-4. Drury erased a three-run deficit and hit his team-high 12th home run of the season.

No other Reds player has more than eight homers all season. Among the team's qualifying hitters, Drury leads the Reds with a .276 batting average and a .861 OPS. His OPS ranks 21st in MLB.

Drury only got his first consistent opportunity of the season when India and Moustakas were injured. On Monday, for the first time since April 14, India and Moustakas were both available to play in the same game.

India didn’t start on Monday because he was a late addition to the active roster for the game, but he’ll start every day at second base going forward. Moustakas, who signed one of the biggest free agent deals in Reds history, will continue to have a role as a power hitter in the lineup.

But Drury has shown enough that his playing time isn’t expected to go down even with India and Moustakas’ return. Even though Drury plays the same two positions India and Moustakas play, Reds manager David Bell said Drury’s role has been established.
    story here:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...17001/?src=rss

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    The fact that the Reds aren't THAT far out of it (weak division) means the Reds should think about holding onto these guys should they make a push for a playoff spot.
    No prize is given to a team for effort

This team is a corpse in the river, floating downstream to an eventual end stuck in some branches in some bend, face down so the fish can eat off its face and let its memory fade into the ether

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-14-2022)

Drury's getting to be the most interesting problem the Reds have for next year. He might bring something at the deadline from a contender with an injury but I wouldn't just give him away or treat him as a throw in. It's not at all clear at this point that Barrero or McClain is going to be able to hold down an infield spot next year, and I doubt anybody wants to project Moustakas as next year's regular 3b. So here's a guy who can play some third or OF, both needs, and currently is around .850. Obviously there's a lot of reason to be skeptical. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Drury's getting to be the most interesting problem the Reds have for next year. He might bring something at the deadline from a contender with an injury but I wouldn't just give him away or treat him as a throw in. It's not at all clear at this point that Barrero or McClain is going to be able to hold down an infield spot next year, and I doubt anybody wants to project Moustakas as next year's regular 3b. So here's a guy who can play some third or OF, both needs, and currently is around .850. Obviously there's a lot of reason to be skeptical. What to do?
    He's a free agent at the end of the season.

What is the argument for keeping him?

Argument for keeping him is that he's been the best offensive player on the team this season.

Argument for keeping him is that he's been the best offensive player on the team this season.
    If you're keeping him I have to assume you are thinking of making an offer for an extension?

I can't see the Reds not moving one of their better trade chips and letting him walk for nothing in a lost season.

On the flip side, he won't be looking for a one year deal. He'd be looking for a 2 year deal at the least, and hoping for a 3 year deal. Will the Reds want to make that type of a commitment to a 30 year old having his first fulltime season, especially with the org having several interesting infielders in the pipeline? Doubtful. His biggest value to the organization will probably be that of a trade chip.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    On the flip side, he won't be looking for a one year deal. He'd be looking for a 2 year deal at the least, and hoping for a 3 year deal. Will the Reds want to make that type of a commitment to a 30 year old having his first fulltime season, especially with the org having several interesting infielders in the pipeline? Doubtful. His biggest value to the organization will probably be that of a trade chip.
    I agree. If the Reds can get an organizations #10-15 prospect I think you pull the trigger and don't look back. Awesome year for Drury, appreciate what he has done this season, but it's time for the Reds to move on unless he is open to a team-friendly deal to stay. The Reds need help in multiple areas. I'll take the prospect, and you can still use the money that would have been used on Drury for another player in free agency.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It’s worth remembering, a guy like Luis Castillo wasn’t ever a top 100 prospect. If you can trade Drury for a couple lesser names who still scout well, it’s still worth it to get a couple more rolls of the dice. At the very least you could probably get a guy who ends up a solid piece of the bullpen. Totally worth it for a scrap heap free agent to be.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-14-2022)

Trade Drury, keep Senzel and Moustakas. Reds just keep on rolling.

Trade Drury, keep Senzel and Moustakas. Reds just keep on rolling.
    Senzel and Moose aren’t worth anything. If Senzel wasn’t a 2 overall pick, Almora would be the starting CF rn. Who would take on Moose right now? The Reds very well might have to pay him to take a hike.

I see the argument for keeping Drury. At the same time though. Won’t break my heart if he’s moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Senzel and Moose aren’t worth anything. If Senzel wasn’t a 2 overall pick, Almora would be the starting CF rn. Who would take on Moose right now? The Reds very well might have to pay him to take a hike.

I see the argument for keeping Drury. At the same time though. Won’t break my heart if he’s moved.
    Won't break mine either. I'd be shopping him while seriously entertaining talks with him about a shortish extension: could be a way to get a pretty decent player at what could turn out to be a very reasonable, below market price. Could also be a bust, too, obviously. And I know perfectly well no one is taking Moustakas or probably Senzel either. The serious question about Drury--and maybe this is true of Pham too--is how you are going to make up for their level of productivity next year. Or do we just punt 2023, which I suspect is what they'll be forced into doing.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-14-2022)

Turn Off Ads?