Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranking Cincinnati Chili Parlors

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Ranking Cincinnati Chili Parlors

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Yeah, that’s a great spot…Oakley/Hyde Park area. My sister used to live real close to Dewey’s pizza and I was another mile down by Crossroads. I do miss the awesome neighborhood so Cincinnati. They’re all unique in their own ways.
    Im .5 from Carl's Deli Near corner of Paxton and Observatory.

2. Likes:

Redhook (05-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Honestly IMO Skyline is far and away the best chili in the city. I know the neighborhood spots get a lot of love, but Skyline *is* Cincinnati chili to me. My ranks would be something like…

1. Skyline
    2. Gold Star
    3. Dixie
    4. OTR Chili (before closing RIP)
    5. Blue Ash
    6. Camp Washington
    7. Price Hill
    8. Pleasant Ridge

There are some others I’ve never had like Chili Time and I haven’t had Empress since I was a kid, so they’re not ranked for me yet. I’m trying to find a full map of everywhere that has their own chili, some places are pretty under the radar.

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-12-2022),Redhook (05-12-2022),Roy Tucker (05-12-2022)

When I was a teenager there was a place at the corner of Nilles Blvd. and Pleasant ave. in Fairfield that had decent chili - Because it was 40 years ago, I probably don't remember if it was that good or not - but I have nice memories of the place because I'd meet my mom there in the summer on my lunch breaks.

It's a CVS now. And I know my post doesn't help Dom find a decent chili parlor or a house!
    Last edited by Strikes Out Looking; 05-12-2022 at 05:22 PM.
    Where we gonna go?

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2022)

You know who has great chili? Zip’s. It’s hard not to order a double cheeseburger when you go to that iconic burger joint, but sometime try to order just a single patty with a side of chili. Or, go big with a double and chili. It’s not a “Cincinnati” Skyline-type chili, it’s more traditional, but it’s pretty darn good. I love Zip’s and make it priority to visit there every time I go back to Cincinnati.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-13-2022)

Part of OTR Chili closing was the new Rhinegeist CEO insisting OTR Chili to cease using prime quality ingredients. The restaurant was already on the brink but the GM said no, I’d rather shut the place down. So they did.

My fave chili is Gold Star but that’s because there was a convenient one close to us (now a chiropractors office) and my kids liked it. So we ate there a lot. But there isn’t a Cincinnati chili that I don’t like and I think the differences between them to be very subtle. JMO.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-13-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-13-2022)

What is the Cincy Chili place Guy Fieri went to for Diners Drive Ins and Dives?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    What is the Cincy Chili place Guy Fieri went to for Diners Drive Ins and Dives?
    He’s been to Blue Ash Chili a couple times

14. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2022),Stray (05-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Im .5 from Carl's Deli Near corner of Paxton and Observatory.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ry/7367179001/

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-16-2022)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This is what my wife is most excited about. She ate there a few times on visits- just raved about it. Also have a cousin who apparently did not get along with the prior owner very well, he was very happy she sold it lol.

Oddly, never heard of it, and I lived on the east side for 25 years.

Thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Honestly IMO Skyline is far and away the best chili in the city. I know the neighborhood spots get a lot of love, but Skyline *is* Cincinnati chili to me. My ranks would be something like…

1. Skyline
    2. Gold Star
    3. Dixie
    4. OTR Chili (before closing RIP)
    5. Blue Ash
    6. Camp Washington
    7. Price Hill
    8. Pleasant Ridge

There are some others I’ve never had like Chili Time and I haven’t had Empress since I was a kid, so they’re not ranked for me yet. I’m trying to find a full map of everywhere that has their own chili, some places are pretty under the radar.
    Curious about Empress too. I've never had it but the people I know who have been are very loyal and ardent about it being the best. Will have to go next time I'm in town.

19. Likes:

Chip R (05-26-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-27-2022)

Another one that I remember being quite good is at Bard’s Burgers & Chili over in Covington/Latonia. I haven’t had the chili for a couple years there, but I do remember it being very good. And they have one of the better burgers all around town.

We have a place in the DC area that offers Cincy chili (plus other types as well) - I think we are going tonight as my daughter in in town for a visit and likes their wings. for those in the DC area hankering for a 5-way, it's Hard Times - https://www.hardtimes.com/
    Where we gonna go?

#1 is "Chili-Fest in October".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I always liked Goldstar but I haven't in Cincinnati in 34 years and only go back to Ohio every few years and then it's mostly to Athens so I haven't really had it much in a very long time. I did have a 5 way with beyond beef from Gold Star at CVG last summer and found it delicious.
    School's out. What did you expect?

24. Likes:

Dom Heffner (07-20-2022),Revering4Blue (07-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I always liked Goldstar but I haven't in Cincinnati in 34 years and only go back to Ohio every few years and then it's mostly to Athens so I haven't really had it much in a very long time. I did have a 5 way with beyond beef from Gold Star at CVG last summer and found it delicious.
    I've had a delicious plate of vegetarian (lentil) 3-way at Arnold's. That flavor profile works no matter the protein...

26. Likes:

pedro (06-09-2022),Revering4Blue (07-20-2022)

Turn Off Ads?