Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screw ESPN and their excitement over Reds losses

Re: Screw ESPN and their excitement over Reds losses

We're only 4 games behind the Cubs!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

goreds2 (05-16-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Even in its heyday, ESPN was often quite shallow and superficial, appearing to be more focused on its on-air "personalities' than on sports analysis. I liked some of the catch phrases, such as "cooler than the other side of the pillow," but too often was what was offered rather than substance.
    I can recall a program ESPN had years ago which purported to rank the best World Series of all time. The series ranked the 1986 as the greatest ever, but the reasons given were the baseball went through Buckner's legs and a New York team won.
    I haven't had cable in several years, but it's crazy that ESPN wants money for its drivel.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

GAC (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Even in its heyday, ESPN was often quite shallow and superficial, appearing to be more focused on its on-air "personalities' than on sports analysis. I liked some of the catch phrases, such as "cooler than the other side of the pillow," but too often was what was offered rather than substance.
    I can recall a program ESPN had years ago which purported to rank the best World Series of all time. The series ranked the 1986 as the greatest ever, but the reasons given were the baseball went through Buckner's legs and a New York team won.
    I haven't had cable in several years, but it's crazy that ESPN wants money for its drivel.
    Empirically speaking, the greatest World Series ever was the 1991 tilt between the Twins and the Braves.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-15-2022)

Losing a no-hitter? Go ahead, tell me the 2022 Reds aren't epic.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

JFLegal (05-16-2022),Joeyjection19 (05-15-2022),Larkin Fan (05-15-2022),Mitri (05-15-2022),Redhook (05-15-2022),RedlegJake (05-15-2022),REDREAD (05-15-2022),RedTeamGo! (05-15-2022),Roy Tucker (05-15-2022),westofyou (05-15-2022),Wonderful Monds (05-15-2022)

Lol. Screw ESPN? ESPN wouldn't make a mockery of the Reds if the Reds weren't doing it to themselves.

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-15-2022),GAC (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought the same thing, it's a MLB version of Private Snafu

13. Likes:

GAC (05-16-2022),M2 (05-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    WHAT??? They mentioned BASEBALL????
    I'm surprised too. I thought they only covered the NBA and the NFL.

15. Likes:

bm1475 (05-16-2022)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If we suck we suck...its pretty simple!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Empirically speaking, the greatest World Series ever was the 1991 tilt between the Twins and the Braves.
    I've long thought about starting a thread about ranking the World Series.
    Joe Posnanski wrote a column in 2019 ranking all of the World Series that went seven games. Implicit in his list was that a truly great World Series must go seven games. Anyway, Posnanski's top five were 5) 1912 Red Sox over Giants; 4) 2001 Diamondbacks over Yankees; 3) 1924 Senators over Giants; 2) Twins over Braves; and 1) 1975 Reds over Red Sox.
    Posnanski had a list of five questions to help rank the Series: 1) What was the overall score differential? 2) How many one-run games? 3) How many extra-inning games? 4) Was game seven a classic? 5) How many memorable things happened in the Series?
    I'd add at least one additional question: 1) How memorable was the "cast"? While I suppose any World Series has some memorable players, the "cast" means something. It was arguably the greatest pitcher ever, an aging Walter Johnson, who, after being arguably the goat of the 1924 World Series, came on in relief to win game seven; that it was Johnson added to the story.
    The cast was something that, to me, gives the 1975 Series the edge over 1991. Both Series featured future Hall of Famers. The 1991 Twins had Kirby Puckett and Jack Morris and the 1991 Braves had John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. However, compare that to the 1975 Reds, with the greatest MLB catcher ever, Johnny Bench, arguably the greatest all around second baseman ever, Joe Morgan, a third future HOF member in Tony Perez, and MLB's all time hits leader in Pete Rose, who would be in the HOF but for all of his off field failings. The Red Sox had Carl Yastremzski, a New England legend, and Carlton Fisk, both future HOF members, and an injured Jim Rice. Boston also had Luis Tiant, who should be in the HOF. Yaz, Tiant, Bench, Morgan, and Rose were all great "copy" and, for the most part, remained in the public eye for decades after they retired, especially the Reds trio. Plus there was Fred Lynn, who seemed to be Frank Merriwell come to life in 1975. The Reds had future HOF manager in Sparky Anderson, who rivaled Casey Stengel as good copy. Then there was Davey Concepcion, George Foster, Dwight Evans.....
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-15-2022),GAC (05-16-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022),Ron Madden (05-15-2022),Roy Tucker (05-16-2022)

ha ha..
    Thanks for mentioning this, I would have missed this bit of news if not for RZ, did not see this game or check on t hem.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Seriously. It’s happened 6 times since 1900. If the Reds were a basketball team, they would hold their opponents to 0-80 baskets made, but lose 40-39 on free throws.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

21. Likes:

JFLegal (05-16-2022),M2 (05-15-2022)

People said they wanted the team to get attention. So it's getting attention.
    This is my take. As much as this ownership didn’t spend to be a great team, I don’t think they like being a well-publicized disaster currently on pace to lose 120 games. in that respect, I relish the bad publicity.

Also believe the future can be very bright. Reds are starting this “rebuild” with a solid farm system including a few great young major leaguers. It’s up to you Bob and friends.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I have not saw Winker this year. But unless he has some injury that I am unaware of. Then he will start hitting. The guy can hit. Always has.
    He's starting to get hot again.

Last 15 games .296/.333/.481

25. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    He's starting to get hot again.

Last 15 games .296/.333/.481
    Winker has had slow starts before. It’s of no importance. He will hit and get on base. I could see his power hitting being affected since he’s now in the AL West rather than the NL Central. Different ballparks.

27. Likes:

HammerTime (05-16-2022),mth123 (05-16-2022),REDREAD (05-16-2022)

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Embarrassing? Sure. But after the chuckles pass, Hunter Greene’s dominance is what really matters in Reds’ no-hit loss

29. Likes:

HokieRed (05-16-2022),Roy Tucker (05-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?