Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 5-15-22 Reds @ Pirates 1:35 PM

Re: 5-15-22 Reds @ Pirates 1:35 PM

Greene got thru 7.1+ innings at 118 pitches.

He walked the last two batters he faced.

Given the above…

If you would leave him in to finish the no-hitter (assuming 9 IP…8 IP with the loss doesn’t count) how many pitches do you think he would have ended up with and how many would you allow him to throw? This of course assuming he completes the 9 inning no-no.

And just from a “trying to win the game” standpoint, your starter just walked 2 guys in a scoreless game…surely a fresh arm from the pen is preferred at that point, no?

The math just didn’t add up today for a no-no unfortunately. And the sooner that was realized in the game, the better. 118 pitches as a one-off is not the end of the world. But I do wonder how high of a pitch count Bell would have let him reach if circumstances dictated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

118 pitches in one game is the most thrown by a MLB pitcher this year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

As fatigue set in during the eighth inning, Greene retired the leadoff batter before issuing back-to-back walks. Manager David Bell made the pitching change and summoned reliever Art Warren, who walked first batter Ben Gamel.

Warren then induced what could have been an inning-ending double play. On Ke'Bryan Hayes' ground ball to second base, Alejo Lopez bobbled the ball briefly in his glove and could only notch one out at second base on the play as Rodolfo Castro scored the game's lone run.

“If it was slow enough, I was going to take it to the plate," Lopez said. "Obviously, the guy on third is a good runner. But it was just right in between. It’s decisions you’ve got to make in the moment, and I had to stay back and try for the double play. Obviously, the guy hitting is also a good runner."

“Maybe in a perfect world, the ball is hit a little harder and makes it a little easier for [Lopez]," Warren said. "I tried to do the best I could and get a ground ball there. It’s one of those things that didn't go our way.”

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-l...ngs-vs-pirates

Three words: OLD. HOSS.RADBOURN .

One of my all-time favorites. Threw 678+ innings one season ; over 4,700 in his career. 2.83 career Earnie. Today's pitchers...pansies. Old Hoss would kick'em in the nuts and they'd cry.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 05-15-2022 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Three words: OLD. HOSS.RADBOURN .

One of my all-time favorites. Threw 678+ innings one season ; over 4,700 in his career. 2.83 career Earnie. Today's pitchers...pansies. Old Hoss would kick'em in the nuts and they'd cry.
    and he has a fantastic twitter account.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I’m old
    I remember those games

Jim Maloney was my favorite pitcher and Vada Pinson my favorite player as a kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I saw Pinson play for my hometown minor league team when he was 17 years old. He could run like the wind.He's why I became a Red fan.

8. Likes:

757690 (05-15-2022),cumberlandreds (05-16-2022),Revering4Blue (05-16-2022),Ron Madden (05-15-2022),texasdave (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    118 pitches in one game is the most thrown by a MLB pitcher this year.
    By a 22 year old who has had a major arm injury and one season throwing 100 innings since he was 17. This game and this season mean nothing. Greene is the key to the next five years. Every decision this year should err on the side of caution. He's making great progress, but the point of rushing him to the big leagues is to get those lessons out of the way in a lost season so he can be this team's ace for the next version of good baseball teams here. He won't be able to do that if he's on the IL.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Mutaman (05-16-2022),Revering4Blue (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Greene is the key to the next five years.
    I don't think you can say this about any one player on any team
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wouldn't have sent him out there for the 8th personally. But yeah, one-time 17 pitches over an arbitrary line shouldn't have any impact long term.

As far as the game, it wasn't lost by Greene, Warren, or even by Bell's decision. It was lost when the offense laid an egg. Can't win 0 to -1.

13. Likes:

757690 (05-16-2022)

I’ve watched that fielders choice play a half a dozen times. Did he bobble it? If that’s his best effort, there are hundreds of high schoolers that can field better than that.

Hello fans

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?