Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto

Johnny Cueto

Johnny Cueto is back in MLB.

Chicago White Sox
    @whitesox

Prior to tonight’s series opener at Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox purchased the contract of two-time All-Star right-handed pitcher Johnny Cueto from Class AAA Charlotte and optioned infielder Danny Mendick to Charlotte.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-16-2022),757690 (05-16-2022),Chip R (05-16-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022),HokieRed (05-16-2022),JFLegal (05-16-2022),KeefeCato (05-16-2022),Mutaman (05-21-2022),RED VAN HOT (05-16-2022),RichRed (05-16-2022),texasdave (05-16-2022),Tom Servo (05-16-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Cueto

Will always root for Johnny. One of my favorites. Only had one good year after the trade, but the Reds still lost that deal.

5. Likes:

Always Red (05-18-2022),Chip R (05-17-2022),cumberlandreds (05-16-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022),HokieRed (05-16-2022),Red Raindog (05-17-2022),Ron Madden (05-16-2022)

Cueto so far tonight:

IP3 H0 R0 ER0 BB0 SO5

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-16-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022)

Cueto is now through 5 innings

IP5 H1 R0 ER0 BB1 SO6

He's thrown 56 pitches

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-17-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022)

Cueto through 6 innings

IP6 H2 R0 ER0 BB2 SO7

He's thrown 81 pitches

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-17-2022),goreds2 (05-16-2022)

I’m thinking he’s not regretting his choice of passing on a Reds homecoming.

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-16-2022)

Matt Foster now into pitch the 7th inning for the White Sox

Cueto is done for the night with

IP6 H2 R0 ER0 BB2 SO7
    Cueto threw 81 pitches 55 for strikes

White Sox lead 3-0

The Royals scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning. Johnny Cueto no longer has a chance for the Win

Watching Johnny Cueto pitch, with all his twists and turns, all his stops and starts, quickly becomes a dizzying experience.

So, just imagine how tough it was for the Royals to hit the White Sox starter during Chicago’s 5-3 victory in 10 innings

“Wow. That's the Johnny Cueto you've seen,” manager Tony La Russa said. “He's so deceptive and whatever the fastball is, it plays harder and he spots it. He's down and soft, and then all of a sudden he throws one by you. To be that sharp just shows you his talent and the work that he did to get ready.”

“Throughout my career, I always have put a special emphasis on my first start of the season,” Cueto said through interpreter Billy Russo. “Then, I did it today, and I was just excited. I was facing a young team, a team that I used to play with and I was excited. I’m with a team that is a good team, too, with a lot of young talent.”

Cueto struck out the side in the first inning, joining Wilson Alvarez and Ravelo Manzanillo as the only White Sox pitchers to strike out all three hitters faced in the opening frame of an inaugural start.

Cueto retired the first nine hitters before yielding Whit Merrifield’s leadoff single in the fourth, but the right-hander allowed just two hits over six innings to go with seven strikeouts and two walks.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/johnny-cuet...hite-sox-debut
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-17-2022 at 01:51 AM.

I wonder if LaRussa and Cueto have had a discussion about the brawl at GABP in 2010, where Johnny supposedly ended Jason LaRue's career.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I wonder if LaRussa and Cueto have had a discussion about the brawl at GABP in 2010, where Johnny supposedly ended Jason LaRue's career.
    I doubt LaRussa remembers it.

I wish the Reds would have signed him (I wish they'd have kept him for his entire career - aligned resources be damned).
    Where we gonna go?

19. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I doubt LaRussa remembers it.

I wish the Reds would have signed him (I wish they'd have kept him for his entire career - aligned resources be damned).
    Was Cueto against signing with the Reds? Because if he wasn't, it's absolutely inexcusable for the front office not to bring him back on the cheap with the possibility that he could be a steal and if not, a final round with the ball club he is going to be a team HOFer with. The fans deserve a lot more than what these penny pinchers are giving us, but what in the heck is the reason they didn't bring Cueto back?

Stuff works both ways, why would Cueto want to sign on with a tanking ship when other offers were out there?
    Go Gators!

22. Likes:

mth123 (05-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Stuff works both ways, why would Cueto want to sign on with a tanking ship when other offers were out there?
    Because he signed a minor league contract with White Sox to begin with. The Reds should've easily made it more attractive to come back to the team he will always be associated with and the fans that loved him by offering a couple hundred grand more and it would've been at least a little goodwill they needed as far as the fans were concerned. He also didn't know for sure he would make it back to MLB with Sox, he would've been there from day one with Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Because he signed a minor league contract with White Sox to begin with. The Reds should've easily made it more attractive to come back to the team he will always be associated with and the fans that loved him by offering a couple hundred grand more and it would've been at least a little goodwill they needed as far as the fans were concerned. He also didn't know for sure he would make it back to MLB with Sox, he would've been there from day one with Reds.
    Eh, it was a $4.2 million deal. They just structured it in a way that he could get some time to build-up to the majors in AAA as a sort of sprint training for him.

It was probably less about the $ amount for him as it was a chance to play for a contender anyway. Maybe for a few million more he signs with the Reds? But it's been a long time since the Cueto we know has taken the field.

25. Likes:

mth123 (05-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?