Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto

Re: Johnny Cueto

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Stuff works both ways, why would Cueto want to sign on with a tanking ship when other offers were out there?
    I agree. He probably wanted to sign with an organization that had a chance at the playoffs. I can't blame him a bit for that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Our guy with 6 shutout innings at Yankee Stadium today. Left with a 1-0 lead.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-22-2022),Ron Madden (05-22-2022)

Reds Have Shown Interest In Johnny Cueto
    Cueto, 37 in February, enjoyed a resurgent 2022 season with the White Sox, making his highest number of starts (24) since 2017 and logging the most innings he’s thrown in a season (158 1/3) since 2016

Signed to a minor league deal just prior to Opening Day 2022, Cueto began the season ramping up in Triple-A and ultimately totaled 174 innings between that minor league tune-up and a successful run with the ChiSox that saw him log a 3.35 ERA.

Granted, Cueto’s 15.7% strikeout rate was one of the lowest in MLB, ranking 130th among the 140 pitchers who tossed at least 100 inning. However, Cueto’s 5.1% walk rate ranked 22nd in that same set of pitchers, and he was also comfortably in the top half of the league in terms of limiting hard contact;

Despite pitching his home games at the hitter-friendly Guaranteed Rate Field, Cueto averaged just 0.85 homers per nine frames. It’s true that he posted better results and allowed fewer homers on the road (2.84 ERA, 0.59 HR/9) than at home (3.83 ERA, 1.09 HR/9), but Cueto was a generally effective pitcher in both settings.

That ability to limit home runs, if the Reds feel he can sustain it moving forward, ought to hold appeal to Cincinnati brass.

The Reds currently project for a payroll of just $73MM, with much of that money earmarked for veterans Joey Votto and Mike Moustakas in the final seasons of their respective multi-year contracts.

There ought to be ample space to add a veteran in the Cueto mold, but Cincinnati hasn’t spent more than $7.5MM on any free agent since signing Nick Castellanos in Jan. 2020 and it remains to be seen just how much they’ll be willing to commit to free agents this winter. Thus far, catcher Luke Maile‘s $1.175MM deal is the Reds’ lone free-agent addition
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...ree-agent.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-15-2022 at 12:53 PM.

lol they literally did this same thing last year. Such BS. I hate this FO.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-16-2022),Redsfan6272 (12-15-2022),Wonderful Monds (12-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    lol they literally did this same thing last year. Such BS. I hate this FO.
    Yep, seems like a leak to the press to make it look like they are doing something. Same with the "news" last week that we were looking at Andrew McCutchen.

So, the Reds are “interested” in Cueto? Well, I am interested in several attractive movie actresses but I only get to watch them on screen, much the same as the Red’s executives will be doing with Cueto next season. I can’t see the Reds offering him a good enough multi-year deal to entice him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    So, the Reds are “interested” in Cueto? Well, I am interested in several attractive movie actresses but I only get to watch them on screen, much the same as the Red’s executives will be doing with Cueto next season. I can’t see the Reds offering him a good enough multi-year deal to entice him back.
    Do we really think Cueto gets a multi year deal? I can't see many teams lining up for Cueto for 2023 to be honest. The guy surprised everyone with his 2022 year, but he also did it with a 1.88 BB/9 and 7.7% HR/FB ratios. Both those numbers will be difficult to duplicate, especially with a move back to GABP. For reference his career averages are right around 2.50 BB/9 and a 10% HR/FB. Factor in a career low strikeout numbers and Cueto seems like a poor bet to duplicate his 2022 season at 37 years old.

Not saying other teams wont have interest, he carries value to teams as a back of the rotation guy, but I would expect the money in any cueto deal would be reasonable even for the Reds. I think the bigger question is why would he want the Reds at this point? It's not for the ball park. It's not for the opportunity to be a contender. Unless he just really misses the food in Cincinnati or wants to get into coaching and looks at this as an opportunity to get some experience with a young/high potential Reds pitching staff I'm not sure what the pitch to Cueto looks like.

i can see its between the Reds and Astros wanting Cueto.. Who you think he will choose eh???

Would have been a great signing--last year.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-15-2022)

"Look at us! we're trying, but these darn selfish players won't play for the minimum"
    Go Gators!

Cueto is a solid veteran pitcher that I'd like to see mentor Greene Lodolo and Ashcraft for a year or two. This is the test case if the Reds will spend anything this offseason. A 1 year deal for 8-10 million would get it done. I'd also like to see Cueto in a Reds uniform again.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-15-2022),RED VAN HOT (12-15-2022)

Would be a great signing just for the experience he would bring and be able to share with the rest of the pitching staff. However, because it makes sense, it probably won't happen. (Author's note - Cueto is my favorite Reds pitcher of all time, and I think he should have never been traded away and would have signed a long term deal for less than he eventually got (of course no one knows because the Reds didn't really bother to find out)). Signing him would make at least one Reds fan happy for a few minutes prior to the 23 season.
    Where we gonna go?

Reminder, it was just a week or two ago that Krall said they had no intention of bringing in a veteran rotation piece.

REDS RUMOR:

In fact, had Johnny Cueto played for the Reds in 2022, he would have led the team in WAR (per Fangraphs).

Cueto may no longer be the pitcher he was in his prime, but he could still soak up some innings for a team in need of quality pitching
    https://clutchpoints.com/mlb-rumors-...-cueto-reunion

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Reminder, it was just a week or two ago that Krall said they had no intention of bringing in a veteran rotation piece.
    That is incorrect. He said it wasn’t his top priority.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?