Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto

Re: Johnny Cueto

Cueto for a one year contract would be a good move for the Reds. They need more starters. After Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft, they have Wishin and Hopin at #4 and #5. And god help them when one of those guys goes down.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

757690 (12-16-2022),cumberlandreds (12-16-2022),goreds2 (12-15-2022),Kinsm (12-15-2022),mth123 (12-15-2022),Old school 1983 (12-15-2022),Revering4Blue (12-15-2022),RiverRat13 (12-16-2022),Ron Madden (12-15-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Pass on Cueto.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Pass on Cueto.
    In favor of who? If the other options are the Mike Minor, TJ Zeuch, or Chase Anderson's of the world I'll think I'll take my chances with #47 in a Reds uniform again.

6. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2022),Old school 1983 (12-15-2022),Ron Madden (12-15-2022)

We need a guy like cute to teach the kids about getting out of a jam and more. Some of that money to Johnny C should be for coaching, sharing his pitching knowledge.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That is incorrect. He said it wasn’t his top priority.
    To be fair to Krall, his top priority was chewing and swallowing Bob's food for him, moistening his eyeballs, and some light typing. Getting around to assembling a major league ready pitching staff is secondary to that, right after shining Phil's loafers.
    Where we gonna go?

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    We need a guy like cute
    You aren’t wrong, he always has been a dream boat!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

12. Likes:

757690 (12-15-2022),CySeymour (12-16-2022),wally post (12-15-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

He’d make the fans happy for a while. Kind of a calming tonic. If he pitches moderately well, he’ll be dealt for some Bennigan’s coupons. So we’re getting a middling to nonsensical prospect and a few opps to reminisce for whatever contract we give him.

They’re gonna spend on some stale arm. I guess I’d rather watch Johnny than another Mike Minor.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-16-2022),Roy Tucker (12-16-2022)

I wonder if it would take 2 years for him to return to Cincinnati. Cueto was pretty good last year and this market is insane. He’d be a good veteran presence and would help soak up innings.

Who am I kidding, this is a typical Krall “check in”; never going to happen.

Sometimes I think the Reds have things backwards. Free agent pitchers don't want to pitch in GABP. The FA pitchers only come here as a last resort. Free agent hitters love the place. It would make more sense to trade for pitching and sign FA outfielders

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2022),herbdizzle (12-16-2022),mth123 (12-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Deagle View Post
    Sometimes I think the Reds have things backwards. Free agent pitchers don't want to pitch in GABP. The FA pitchers only come here as a last resort. Free agent hitters love the place. It would make more sense to trade for pitching and sign FA outfielders
    That has been the plan for awhile now. Traded for Gray, Wood, Roark, Minor. Signed Castellanos, Moose, Pham and Solano.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

HokieRed (12-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That has been the plan for awhile now. Traded for Gray, Wood, Roark, Minor. Signed Castellanos, Moose, Pham and Solano.
    Not to mention last year's trades: 3 pitchers in the Winker-Suarez deal; pitcher in return for Gray; 2 pitchers in the Castillo deal; 1 pitcher in Mahle deal; pitcher for Naquin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Yep, seems like a leak to the press to make it look like they are doing something. Same with the "news" last week that we were looking at Andrew McCutchen.
    More likely that the agent for Cueto leaked it to try to get leverage with negotiations with other team(s)
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-16-2022),LeatherPants (12-16-2022),Revering4Blue (12-16-2022),wally post (12-16-2022)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    More likely that the agent for Cueto leaked it to try to get leverage with negotiations with other team(s)
    Can’t imagine a good agent would let an aging pitcher with a rapidly approaching expiration date toss baseballs into the Ohio for a last-place team if there are other reasonable options available.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

24. Likes:

Kinsm (12-16-2022)

Should I Stay or Should I Go: Johnny Cueto

He Should Stay: A consummate professional, former World Series champion, and all-around nice guy, Cueto was a pleasant surprise in a season full of expected unpleasantness.

Despite a late start to the season, Cueto was third on the team in innings pitched, and nearly equaled Lucas Giolito’s innings total despite six fewer starts. He’s a crafty pitcher who continues to generate outs by keeping hitters off-balance with a funky array of windups and pitches.

He Should Go: Entering his age-37 season, the end could be coming for Cueto at any time, and unlike 2022, he’s not going to be cheap when it comes.

He will continue to be at significant risk of age-related decline while likely commanding an eight-figure annual salary, something the White Sox don’t have much room for these days.

Cueto barely strikes anybody out any longer, and despite a bottomless bag of tricks he walks a fine line between being good and being washed up.

The Verdict: Watching Cueto in 2022 was a joy in a season otherwise largely bereft of any happiness.

He was one of the first members of the team willing to call out the lack of urgency on the team, and had the on-field performance to back up his words.

Sadly, the only reason Cueto was here was because he was cheap and on a minor-league deal. With those conditions assuredly off the table now, Cueto has probably priced himself out of White Sox range.

If he’s going to cost $10 million or more (and he almost certainly will), one has to wonder if perhaps there is a slightly better play for the White Sox in that price bracket. That said, if he’s brought back, nobody should complain
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...to/ar-AA14QywM

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Cueto for a one year contract would be a good move for the Reds. They need more starters. After Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft, they have Wishin and Hopin at #4 and #5. And god help them when one of those guys goes down.
    I think Wishin and Hopin would be followed by Thinkin and Prayin
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

27. Likes:

malcontent (12-16-2022),Revering4Blue (12-16-2022),Roy Tucker (12-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?