Re: Johnny Cueto

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think Wishin and Hopin would be followed by Thinkin and Prayin
    Do not forget Stinkin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Pass on Cueto.
    Agree, and for me it has little to do with Cueto, although he'll be 37 and not getting younger.

For me, it has more to do with leadership's pathetic attempt to appease the fanbase with a name that was adored 8, 9 years ago.

If they got him for league minimum, great...sign him. But they wouldn't sign him for league minimum. They would be paying too much for a guy on a losing team, all so they can sign a name and put a couple extra butts in the seats.

4. Likes:

malcontent (12-16-2022),wolfboy (12-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Agree, and for me it has little to do with Cueto, although he'll be 37 and not getting younger.

For me, it has more to do with leadership's pathetic attempt to appease the fanbase with a name that was adored 8, 9 years ago.

If they got him for league minimum, great...sign him. But they wouldn't sign him for league minimum. They would be paying too much for a guy on a losing team, all so they can sign a name and put a couple extra butts in the seats.
    I'm not sure I understand this. This team has 2 massive blackholes in its rotation and those have a negative domino effect on the entire pitching staff. If Cueto can come in and solidify one of those spots, that has a positive impact on the guys we do see as part of the future. Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and whichever kids might have a chance to become something in the future. It also bodes well for managing the bullpen if we can get somebody in that spot who isn't blown out in the third inning each time through the rotation. Not only would I sign Cueto, I'd look for another solid starter as well. If they perform well and can be tratded at the deadline, that might be the way to acquire help in the OF or the bullpen or another young rotation candidate. The Reds are fresh out of guys to trade to add anything else and there are still double-digit holes that need to be addressed.

I don't see anything but a positive in signing Cueto if they could get it done.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-16-2022 at 04:06 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2022),cumberlandreds (12-19-2022),fondfoat (12-19-2022),JustaFan (12-16-2022),NC Reds (12-19-2022),Old school 1983 (12-17-2022),R20 (12-17-2022),Revering4Blue (12-16-2022),Ron Madden (12-16-2022),wally post (12-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think Wishin and Hopin would be followed by Thinkin and Prayin
    Plannin and Dreamin are in AAA waitin
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2022),Revering4Blue (12-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this. This team has 2 massive blackholes in its rotation and those have a negative domino effect on the entire pitching staff. If Cueto can come in and solidify one of those spots, that has a positive impact on the guys we do see as part of the future. Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and whichever kids might have a chance to become something in the future. It also bodes well for managing the bullpen Managing a bullpen? That's assuming Bell knows how to manage a bullpen. He doesn't let guys pitch past the 5th anyway. if we can get somebody in that spot who isn't blown out in the third inning each time through the rotation. Not only would I sign Cueto, I'd look for another solid starter as well. If they perform well and can be tratded at the deadline, that might be the way to acquire help in the OF or the bullpen or another young rotation candidate. The Reds are fresh out of guys to trade to add anything else and there are still double-digit holes that need to be addressed.

I don't see anything but a positive in signing Cueto if they could get it done.
    There's not much to get. If this was any other name but Cueto this board would be all over it. A 37-year old guy who is well past his prime, who they will not sign at a discount. This is what the Reds do, they sign guys who are no longer productive on the back sides of their careers...signings that have no impact on producing a winning team.

In fact, I doubt it even happens.

I'd rather take a chance on Johnny Cueto than some of those rag arms that started games for us this past season.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-17-2022 at 03:31 AM.

11. Likes:

757690 (12-16-2022),Chip R (12-22-2022),cumberlandreds (12-19-2022),mth123 (12-16-2022),NC Reds (12-16-2022),RedsRocker (12-23-2022),Revering4Blue (12-17-2022),wally post (12-17-2022)

Yeah… I really don’t get how you could be opposed to this…

1. We’re not gonna spend any money anyway. It’s not like we’re on the cusp of signing Dansby Swanson and Cueto is getting in the way. We can give JC $8MM and a $1MM buyout for 2024, or we can not spend that money at all.

2. He’s better than what we have - at any age. He had a 3.5 bWAR last year despite not pitching at all in April (and part of May). That would have lead the entire Reds roster in 2022. Past his prime? Maybe - but still a marked improvement over what’s on the roster currently.

3. He’s not blocking anyone. What’s your alternative here? Want to watch Brandon Williamson go for the walk record? Can’t get enough Luis Cessa? You have nobody. Cueto is somebody. And you’re against having him? That’s just contrarian nonsense.

Best case - he still has a few great starts left and lets us enjoy some nostalgia in an otherwise awful season - maybe nets us a nice player at the deadline. Worst case? He sucks, costs us nothing in terms of opportunity and little in terms of money, and we end up rolling out Conner Overton anyway. Who cares?

13. Likes:

mth123 (12-17-2022),Old school 1983 (12-17-2022),Revering4Blue (12-17-2022),Tuff Nut (12-17-2022)

I'm not opposed to Johnny Cueto coming back -- I just don't care anymore.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-17-2022),cumberlandreds (12-19-2022),jimbo (12-19-2022),REDREAD (12-19-2022),RedsBrick (12-17-2022)

It's not about Cueto. I really don't care about the actual player. The point is, it's a weak-ass attempt by management to manipulate the fans. There are other guys out there not named Cueto they can bring in to give the numbers Cueto's going to potentially give, and probably for less money. But then again, I don't care about the money either. I care about the manipulation that the fans will buy.

The only thing the leadership of this organization has created is apathy. They do a great job at that.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (12-19-2022)

I want Johnny Cueto back. For many reason but #1 is he's my favorite Reds starting pitcher that lasted without any career ending injuries.

But also, I believe a return to the Reds would maybe help insure that he never gets Franco'd by the Reds HOF committee and voters because he left for greener pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    It's not about Cueto. I really don't care about the actual player. The point is, it's a weak-ass attempt by management to manipulate the fans. There are other guys out there not named Cueto they can bring in to give the numbers Cueto's going to potentially give, and probably for less money. But then again, I don't care about the money either. I care about the manipulation that the fans will buy.

The only thing the leadership of this organization has created is apathy. They do a great job at that.
    I don’t think anyone is necessarily trying to manipulate the fans. I certainly don’t think anyone on RZ is suddenly going to think that ownership has seen the errors of their way simply by signing Cueto. A few casual ballpark fans might show up because of the familiar name, but that’s it.

At least Cueto is a known commodity. As a veteran pitcher, he’s probably a step up from the Miley/Minor fill-in at the back of the rotation. If he gives the team 150-160 innings, he will keep them in the game. Granted, he’s not the same kind of pitcher he was eight years ago, but his 2023 projections look a whole bunch better than what they ran out there for the #4/#5 rotation spots last season.

To me, he’s well worth a $10 million contract for 2023, and he probably would be a good #5 option for 2024 as well. And as others have said, the veteran presence alone would be valuable.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 12-17-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

20. Likes:

goreds2 (12-17-2022),lollipopcurve (12-17-2022),Old school 1983 (12-17-2022),Revering4Blue (12-17-2022)

As long as they keep the future Jim Palmer Mike Cuellar and Pat Dobson on their pitch counts/innings track. Not overuse or abuse them. It don’t matter to me who’s 4-5 -6 starters. It’s a difference between losing possibly 100 or 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    As long as they keep the future Jim Palmer Mike Cuellar and Pat Dobson on their pitch counts/innings track. Not overuse or abuse them. It don’t matter to me who’s 4-5 -6 starters. It’s a difference between losing possibly 100 or 90.
    But if they want to win anything, they need to add Dave McNally and that's what's missing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Once again I express my thought that Johnny Cueto is my favorite Reds pitcher of all time and I hope he comes back. I wasn't against an overpay 7 years ago and he would be an asset to an organization that has no assets, only prospects.
    Where we gonna go?

a fine line between being ok and over the hill. to paraphrase an earlier quote re Cueto (and also apt formany of this board's posters) and that quote is apt re most pitchers who are presently unsigned or minor league offer, or on AAA rosters.
    my belief remains that small market teams have to take gambling risks on decisions totally different than teams/owners with unlimited funds. And to stay with the analogy the cards (money) that the Reds have in their hand are insufficient to compete for players considered above average.

Turn Off Ads?