Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cueto

Re: Johnny Cueto

Marlins, Blue Jays and Reds interested in Cueto

The Marlins have shown interest in free agent starter Johnny Cueto, tweets Jon Morosi of MLB.com.

Miami joins the Blue Jays and Reds as clubs known to have touched base with the veteran righty’s camp.

Miami’s an odd fit for a rotation pickup. They’re already deep in starting pitching, with Trevor Rogers, Pablo López, Edward Cabrera, Braxton Garrett and Jesús Luzardo on hand as options behind Cy Young winner Sandy Alcantara.
    There’s enough talent on the pitching staff the Fish have apparently looked for ways to swap out a starter for offensive help this offseason, though nothing has come together on that front.

Any interest in Cueto would seem to be contingent on dealing one of their current starters.

He’s sure to find a rotation spot somewhere after a solid 2022 season in Chicago. The 36-year-old (37 in February) made 25 appearances and threw 158 1/3 innings this past season.

Cueto posted a 3.35 ERA, based largely on his plus control. He only walked around 5% of opponents, maintaining the quality strike-throwing ability he’s shown throughout his career. He struck out a below-average 15.7% of batters faced while averaging just above 91 MPH, but his pitch-to-contact approach served him well this year.

That solid showing is likely to earn him a raise over this past season’s $4MM base salary.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...ibilities.html
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-21-2022 at 10:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Padres join hunt for Johnny Cueto
    The San Diego Padres are looking to add a starting pitcher to their rotation. And that pitcher could be veteran Johnny Cueto, per Robert Murray.

Sources: The Padres are among teams strongly in the mix for free-agent pitcher Johnny Cueto,” Murray wrote on Twitter.

Johnny Cueto is a well-respected veteran who’s drawn interest from a number of teams in MLB free agency. The Cincinnati Reds and Miami Marlins are amongst the teams Cueto has been linked to during the offseason.

Cueto has always been regarded as a fierce competitor. He’s someone teams believe can still impact a rotation. The Padres have a quality pitching staff led by Joe Musgrove and Yu Darvish. But they would benefit by adding at least one more starting pitcher, whether the addition comes in the form of a free agency signing or trade.

We will continue to provide Johnny Cueto free agency updates as they are made available
    https://clutchpoints.com/mlb-rumors-...r-johnny-cueto

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal

Padres, Marlins vying for free-agent right-hander Johnny Cueto, Reds also interested.

3:15 PM · Jan 4, 2023

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-04-2023)

If the Reds sign Cueto it will be the highlight of the off-season and may actually raise my interest level in 2023 a bit. I hate rotations with multiple holes in them and this one has that right now.

Sign him for a two-years and deal a couple of those iffy starter prospects for an OF prospect.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-09-2023)

Reds will not sign Cueto

9. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal

Padres, Marlins vying for free-agent right-hander Johnny Cueto, Reds also interested.

3:15 PM · Jan 4, 2023
    This is the REDS showing interest:

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

Just as a Coach to the Major League Pitching staff, Cueto is worth $2M per season. The REDS can pretend that he isn't a Coach, but get the benefits of one without paying him for that additional asset he brings to the organization and Major League team. This pitching staff is in desperate need for a man of his experience and pedigree. It's a great long-term investment that they only have to put out the money for as a short-term investment,...paying him only for what he is worth as a baseball player at this stage of his career. It checks all of the cheapness boxes that makes up the Ownership group of the REDS....getting an individual who can perform multiple jobs in the organization while paying him only for one.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Just as a Coach to the Major League Pitching staff, Cueto is worth $2M per season. The REDS can pretend that he isn't a Coach, but get the benefits of one without paying him for that additional asset he brings to the organization and Major League team. This pitching staff is in desperate need for a man of his experience and pedigree. It's a great long-term investment that they only have to put out the money for as a short-term investment,...paying him only for what he is worth as a baseball player at this stage of his career. It checks all of the cheapness boxes that makes up the Ownership group of the REDS....getting an individual who can perform multiple jobs in the organization while paying him only for one.
    The problem is that Cueto is going to get $8MM guaranteed. He’ll get $7MM with a $10MM club option and $1MM buyout.

The Reds CAN afford that, but they won’t pay it. And even if they did, Cueto might have more interest in a team like SD or TOR that has a chance to compete. As a fan, Cueto makes a BIG difference for me in 2023x I’ll spend more time watching if he’s pitching every 5th day instead of Conner Overton.

But it’s not gonna happen. A team like the Reds just isn’t interested in a BOR innings-eater. They should be - but they’re not.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023),Sea Ray (01-10-2023)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

Johnny Cueto agrees to deal with Marlins

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Shocked!
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023),RedTeamGo! (01-11-2023)

being cheaper than the Marlins (who is peddling SPs) is a new low

22. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

Give it up, folks. Reds aren’t spending.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2023)

What a joke. They sign a horrible pitcher Minor last year and can’t give Johnny Cueto 8 for this year. Pathetic…..

26. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-11-2023),REDREAD (01-11-2023)

While it would have been cool to see Cueto back in Cincinnati, I cant blame the Reds for passing on this one.

$8.5M isnt a ton of money....or at least shouldn't be considered too much for a vet SP to round out your rotation, however I dont see Cueto replicating last years success either. He had a phenomenal 1st half in 2022, but got hit pretty hard at times the back half of the season. About to be 37 with an extremely low K rate, along with a BB rate that while he can probably come close it's not realistic to replicate it from a year ago I just can't see him throwing 150+ innings of sub 4ERA baseball again. He is probably 150 inning 4.50 type of guy at this point, and for the Reds unless he would really value taking on a mentorship type of role with the young guys on the team it doesnt make much sense. I'm all for calling out the Reds on being cheap, but this is an obvious case where Nick Krall should be able to find similar production for a fraction of the cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phlbilly View Post
    What a joke. They sign a horrible pitcher Minor last year and can’t give Johnny Cueto 8 for this year. Pathetic…..
    Agreed, but I think the bigger issue is paying Mike Minor $10MM while also giving up a cheap bullpen arm. That deal was beyond horrible

Turn Off Ads?