Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 5-17-22 Reds @ Guardians 6:10 PM

Re: 5-17-22 Reds @ Guardians 6:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    Un effing believable but I’ll take it
    UH HA HA HA HA HA
    After tomorrow you can stop watching again till next season. Last Ohio cup game is tomorrow.
    The four most important games of the season. At least according to you.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Time for Warren and his 18.00 ERA to be sent to AAA!!!

Back then, they’d show the World Series in the gym, but opening day was a holiday at our house. It was usually on Huntington’s WSAZ. Dad would either skip work or work in town where he could check the score. Most of the time it was by radio.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-18-2022),Ron Madden (05-17-2022),wlf WV (05-18-2022)

We went to the auditorium when we watched TV at school. Went there for opening day, Reds vs. Yankees world series in 1961, and rocket launch for Allan Shepard, John Glenn, and attempts to hit the moon. We went there thinking we were going to see USA hit the moon more than once, only to be disappointed with a miss. What'd we do, missed it like 3 times before we hit it and I remember a big cheer went up when we did hit the moon! I don't recall any cheers in the Yankee dominated world series though. I recall that we watched Allen Shepard on a May morning and by happenstance had an afternoon field trip planned to the local newspaper, where we each got a copy of the newspaper fresh off the press with the headline and pictures. I was so disappointed when I got home and my 3.5 year old sister got ahold of it and ripped up the front page! And before Glenn there was Gus Grissom on the 2nd brief space spot before the Glenn orbit, and when Gus hit the ocean, he got a little excited to get out and opened the hatch prematurely and the helicopters couldn't keep the capsule from sinking. Eventually Armstrong walked on the moon in my summer between high school and college and I got to see it on TV while working the night shift.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-18-2022),Ron Madden (05-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    We went to the auditorium when we watched TV at school. Went there for opening day, Reds vs. Yankees world series in 1961, and rocket launch for Allan Shepard, John Glenn, and attempts to hit the moon. We went there thinking we were going to see USA hit the moon more than once, only to be disappointed with a miss. What'd we do, missed it like 3 times before we hit it and I remember a big cheer went up when we did hit the moon! I don't recall any cheers in the Yankee dominated world series though. I recall that we watched Allen Shepard on a May morning and by happenstance had an afternoon field trip planned to the local newspaper, where we each got a copy of the newspaper fresh off the press with the headline and pictures. I was so disappointed when I got home and my 3.5 year old sister got ahold of it and ripped up the front page! And before Glenn there was Gus Grissom on the 2nd brief space spot before the Glenn orbit, and when Gus hit the ocean, he got a little excited to get out and opened the hatch prematurely and the helicopters couldn't keep the capsule from sinking. Eventually Armstrong walked on the moon in my summer between high school and college and I got to see it on TV while working the night shift.
    It might have seemed like a miss to you as a child, but only Apollo 13 was a successful failure to get to the moon. The Mercury program got us into space, straight up and down. The Gemini project had 2 astronauts who circled the globe; testing bigger boosters and technologies needed to go to the moon. The Apollo project used titan boosters that went to the moon, with flights that orbited the moon and testing docking and undocking the lunar landing module. Apollo 11 (in 1969) was the first manned moon landing (there were no misses leading up to that).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yeah that was probably a little bit too tough for some younger fans
    I got it but I am old.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-18-2022)

The Diaz brothers had saves on the same day. First time that has happened since 1997 with the Worrel brothers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/edwin-alexi...saves-same-day
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

757690 (05-18-2022),KeefeCato (05-18-2022),Tadasimha (05-18-2022),Tom Servo (05-18-2022),wlf WV (05-18-2022)

Hopefully the next time a save situation comes up Diaz gets the chance. I gotta admit I never expected Warren to be dominant but I expected him to be a solid reliever. He may still be but not off to a good start.
    That is the problem though. We have a guy who strings together a good month last year and we automatically elevate him despite limited bug league time. Shows you just how bad this pen is.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 05-18-2022 at 12:46 PM.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-18-2022),mth123 (05-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Trivia Question:

We all know that Jim Maloney no-hit the Cubs in 1965.

Maloney just missed throwing one on Opening Day of that year.

What team was it? and who was the hitter that broke up the no-hitter?

Answer coming after tonight's game

Hint #1 the player that broke up Maloney's bid for a no-hitter on Opening Day 1965 later went on to play with The Big Red Machine

Hint # 2 the player that broke up Maloney's no no was also teammates with Joe Morgan before either of them came to the Reds

Answer

On Opening Day, April 19,1965 Maloney held the Milwaukee Braves hitless for seven frames before yielding a leadoff single to Denis Menke to start the eighth, and settled for his third career one-hitter.

I, of course, remember Menke in his short tenure as a Red in the early seventies. He was not much of a hitter as a Red, from what I remember. I'd say he batted less than .225 in his time with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Hopefully the next time a save situation comes up Diaz gets the chance. I gotta admit I never expected Warren to be dominant but I expected him to be a solid reliever. He may still be but not off to a good start.
    That is the problem though. We have a guy who strings together a good month last year and we automatically elevate him despite limited bug league time. Shows you just how bad this pen is.
    Amen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

KeefeCato (05-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?