Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robot Umps Getting Closer

Re: Robot Umps Getting Closer

I generally dislike changes like this, but I will admit the "obvious strike that's called a ball because he just missed on four in a row" going away will not be a bad thing.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2022),Ron Madden (05-21-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, people thought the DH in the NL would be a disaster too.
    Guess what? No one misses the pitcher hitting. No one misses the "drama" of seeing whether the pitcher will be replaced with pinch hitter A Lopez or someone like him.
    (I'm sure a few people miss it, but the vast majority don't)
    I despise the DH with every fiber of my being, and I absolutely hate that the pitcher doesn't bat for himself. I have never liked watching American League baseball, and now it's all AL baseball. It's a very bland style that I don't enjoy.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-23-2022),Danny Serafini (05-24-2022),dreghorntwo (05-22-2022),texasdave (05-22-2022)

Most similar adoption I can think of is the electric line calling in tennis. That's made the line calls much fairer and uniform. Been around for decades now and was a big improvement over the human eye trying to judge whether a ball had just caught the edge of a line.

I don't watch much tennis any more, but I read they've been just using the line calling system and removing the line judges (just keeping the main chair umpire). Figure baseball will always need the team of umps to make the rest of the calls so can't really see that human element going away.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (05-23-2022),REDREAD (05-22-2022)

My favorite part of this is that I'm fairly certain that the robot ump won't have sensitive ears and follow a frustrated hitter back to the dugout and toss him because he's muttering in frustration about a call that the ump himself blew. The ump tossing guys for complaining about a mistake that the ump himself made is the ultimate partiality to the impartial position they are supposed to take.

I'm hoping it completely eliminates hitters, pitchers, managers and umpires from arguing over balls and strikes. It's a stupid and time-wasting part of the game I've never cared for and usually results in players and teams being punished for a mistake the umpire made. Even if the robot umps are a little less accurate than the humans, it will be worth it to end this stupid aspect of baseball.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My favorite part of this is that I'm fairly certain that the robot ump won't have sensitive ears and follow a frustrated hitter back to the dugout and toss him because he's muttering in frustration about a call that the ump himself blew. The ump tossing guys for complaining about a mistake that the ump himself made is the ultimate partiality to the impartial position they are supposed to take.

I'm hoping it completely eliminates hitters, pitchers, managers and umpires from arguing over balls and strikes. It's a stupid and time-wasting part of the game I've never cared for and usually results in players and teams being punished for a mistake the umpire made. Even if the robot umps are a little less accurate than the humans, it will be worth it to end this stupid aspect of baseball.
    Yep, the Robo ump won't hold grudges against players or try to start drama for the sake of proving they have the power of being an ump.
    I would love to have robo ump calls for base stealing (if that's feasible) and every other part of the game too.
    People say they love the human element, but they've already added instant replay which really drags down the pace of the game. (I am ok with replays, but they need to speed up the reviews and make the manager decide whether or not to challenge a lot quicker).

I agree, I don't like the "human element" of some umps having a god complex.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

mth123 (05-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I despise the DH with every fiber of my being, and I absolutely hate that the pitcher doesn't bat for himself. I have never liked watching American League baseball, and now it's all AL baseball. It's a very bland style that I don't enjoy.
    That's cool, we all have our preferences, but you are in a small minority.
    Most people enjoy the change.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I used to despise the DH because the decision to take a guy out for a pinch hitter when he was throwing a gem and his team needed runs was a very compelling strategic decision that the DH removes. These days, the guy comes out of the game anyway, so that aspect is largely irrelevant. The rest of the "strategy" (double switches and the like) are pretty basic things that most 8 year old kids who follow the team could figure out.

I'm pretty ambivalent about whether or not there is a DH. I just want both leagues to have the same rules, so I prefer this to the way it was. If the DH disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it as long as it disappeared in both leagues.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-23-2022)

Every time I read this thread title I look over my shoulder.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

texasdave (05-22-2022)

If the DH is such a good idea, then more DH's should be an even better idea. We shouldn't have to watch noodle bats at C, SS, or CF. Why not just have your top nine hitters bat, and your top nine fielders field? If some guys are talented enough to play both ways, great. But why not just go all out with an offensive squad and a defensive squad?

People often accuse me of being facetious or sarcastic when I suggest this, but I'm serious. If the DH is good, why not have more of them?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

Jaysland Red (05-22-2022)

If the DH is such a good idea, then more DH's should be an even better idea. We shouldn't have to watch noodle bats at C, SS, or CF. Why not just have your top nine hitters bat, and your top nine fielders field? If some guys are talented enough to play both ways, great. But why not just go all out with an offensive squad and a defensive squad?

People often accuse me of being facetious or sarcastic when I suggest this, but I'm serious. If the DH is good, why not have more of them?
    I guess I draw the line between pitchers and position players. Pitchers were never professional players based on their ability to hit, so I don't mind subbing a hitter (but prefer not all things being equal). Position players are supposed to be able to hit, so if they can't they shouldn't get to play on defense because some DH can take their PAs for them.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Every time I read this thread title I look over my shoulder.
    Name:  terminator.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  181.1 KB
    Go Gators!

There's an easy answer to that.
    There's a huge gap in hitting skill between the average pitcher and the average bench hitter.
    The gap between a bad hitting starting C, SS, or CF and the bench player that would DH for them is relatively small.
    Yes, every once in awhile there's a starting position player that is a horrible hitter, but those guys are either playing for tanking teams or their time as a starting player is short.

Turn Off Ads?