Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Roger Angell Passes

Roger Angell Passes

The man was poetic and led a rich baseball life that he shared with his prose. I suggest if you haven't t read A Summer Game , Five Seasons and Late Innings

You won't regret it

“It is foolish and childish, on the face of it, to affiliate ourselves with anything so insignificant and patently contrived and commercially exploitative as a professional sports team,” he wrote in his book “Five Seasons” (1977). “What is left out of this calculation, it seems to me, is the business of caring — caring deeply and passionately, really caring — which is a capacity or an emotion that has almost gone out of our lives.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/20/s...gell-dead.html

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-21-2022),Chip R (05-20-2022),cumberlandreds (05-20-2022),Cyclone792 (05-20-2022),dfs (05-22-2022),HokieRed (05-20-2022),KronoRed (05-21-2022),marcshoe (05-20-2022),Red Raindog (05-20-2022),Redhook (05-20-2022),Reds Freak (05-21-2022),RichRed (05-20-2022),Ron Madden (05-20-2022),Roy Tucker (05-20-2022),wally post (05-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roger Angell Passes

Baseball, in spite of its grassy spaciousness and apparent unpredictability, is the most intensely and satisfyingly mathematical of all our outdoor sports.

~ Roger Angell

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-20-2022)

Great, great writer. I think I have read almost all of his books. His baseball books are a must read for anyone who likes reading about the sport. RIP Roger Angell.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-21-2022),Roy Tucker (05-21-2022)

He disliked sentimentality about sports. “The stuff about the connection between baseball and American life, the ‘Field of Dreams’ thing, gives me a pain,” he once said. “I hated that movie.”

He was alert, however, to what he called the “substrata of nuance and lesson and accumulated experience” beneath baseball’s surface. And his humor flashed above all this.

He said, he loved the way “baseball will stick it to you; it means to break your heart.”

Angell on caring:

“What I do know is that this belonging and caring is what our games are all about; this is what we come for. It is foolish and childish, on the face of it, to affiliate ourselves with anything so insignificant and patently contrived and commercially exploitative as a professional sports team, and the amused superiority and icy scorn that the non-fan directs at the sports nut (I know this look—I know it by heart) is understandable and almost unanswerable. Almost. What is left out of this calculation, it seems to me, is the business of caring—caring deeply and passionately, really caring—which is a capacity or an emotion that has almost gone out of our lives. And so it seems possible that we have come to a time when it no longer matters so much what the caring is about, how frail or foolish is the object of that concern, as long as the feeling itself can be saved. Naïveté—the infantile and ignoble joy that sends a grown man or woman to dancing and shouting with joy in the middle of the night over the haphazardous flight of a distant ball—seems a small price to pay for such a gift.”
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-21-2022),RichRed (05-22-2022),Ron Madden (05-21-2022),westofyou (05-21-2022)

Turn Off Ads?