Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Umps Getting Closer

Re: Robot Umps Getting Closer

Good, whatever helps us to a game that is only decided by the players.
    Go Gators!

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Why exactly is the robot strike zone 2 inches wider than the plate? I thought the point was to accurately call strikes.

5. Likes:

dreghorntwo (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Why exactly is the robot strike zone 2 inches wider than the plate? I thought the point was to accurately call strikes.
    I would assume that it tracks the middle of the ball and when the center of the ball hits the widened zone you can infer that part of the ball crosses the actual plate.

7. Likes:

goldglover9 (05-21-2022)

The graphic says that if any part of the ball touches the zone it's a strike. The ball can be .99" off the plate, and that tiny bit touching the zone would register as a strike.

9. Likes:

dreghorntwo (05-21-2022),goldglover9 (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The graphic says that if any part of the ball touches the zone it's a strike. The ball can be .99" off the plate, and that tiny bit touching the zone would register as a strike.
    Interesting - I do see where it says the zone is set up to call B/S similar to how it is called by MLB umps. Anything is possible with Manfred but I can’t imagine balls legitimately off the plate being allowed to be called strikes at the MLB level.

I went to a Cyclones game the other night. I'm not a hockey fan, but I do know the basic premise and rules of the game. It's pretty much like basketball on ice.

I was surprised to see that not only was fighting still allowed, it seemed to be enthusiasticly embraced by all.

I didn't much care for it, and felt that it took away from the overall quality of the game.

Lousy calls, framing pitches, arguing with the ump, etc. These have always been aspects of baseball that would be eliminated with robot calls.

I guess that's my issue with it. I would like the Angel Hernandez's of the game to not be a factor, but I don't necessarily want him replaced with yet another thing that robs the game of it's personality and uniqueness.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-21-2022 at 01:54 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

redsfanmia (05-21-2022)

Why do we insist on always trying to remove the human element from human sports? This attempt to impose conformity and uniformity in everything is annoying. Is it really a great thing that a coffee tastes exactly the same in a Starbucks wherever you are in the world? Bad umpire/referee calls in sports, along with bad plays by the players, are a constant and important reminder of our fallibility as a species. This does include Joey Votto, by the way.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-21-2022),bm1475 (05-21-2022)

Haunted by walks

Baseball is such a precise sport, yet every pitch is as subjective as ice dancing.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2022)

All the life lessons in baseball...

When I was growing up, I was taught that umps were there to remind you that life is not fair.

Sometimes you do the right thing and get hosed, and vice versa. But over the course of a season, or lifetime or whatever, if you do the right thing, you'll get the calls more often than not.

But it's perfection we want from baseball now.

Fine, I guess...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

bm1475 (05-21-2022),texasdave (05-21-2022)

Hockey is not like basketball on ice
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-21-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

dreghorntwo (05-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hockey is not like basketball on ice
    Basketball on ice with a goalie, and fighting.

That's what it looks like to me anyway, but again, I'm not a fan.

Soccer on ice with fighting, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Basketball on ice with a goalie, and fighting.

That's what it looks like to me anyway, but again, I'm not a fan.

Soccer on ice with fighting, maybe?
    I’d say soccer on ice is a better comp. Mostly because of offsides and there being a goalie
    What would you say.....ya do here?

What if the umpire goes against what the ABS calls? Would we know when that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It’s coming so I’d just say give it a chance when it comes out. I have a sneaky suspicion most everyone will be glad once it gets put into place.
    Yep, people thought the DH in the NL would be a disaster too.
    Guess what? No one misses the pitcher hitting. No one misses the "drama" of seeing whether the pitcher will be replaced with pinch hitter A Lopez or someone like him.
    (I'm sure a few people miss it, but the vast majority don't)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm not sure how an automated strike zone would effect OBP one away or another.

I do believe that it would result in more balls being called balls and more strikes being called strikes, that's good enough for me.

I hate that the strike zone can change from day to day based on the style or the incompetence that days home plate umpire.
    No proof, just my speculation.
    If every pitch is called the same way, hitters will adjust and swing at more strikes.
    Pitchers will also adjust and be more likely to throw a strike when they want to.
    There's a lot of calls missed both ways (taken strikes called balls, taken balls called strikes)
    Consistency is going to help both the batters and pitchers.
    IMO, less walks will be a result. (My speculation) Other than an intentional walk, pitchers do not want to walk guys.
    Now granted, a pitcher can't always throw a strike when he wants to, but I think consistency will help their control.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?