Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Umps Getting Closer

2. Likes:

FlightRick (05-20-2022),KYExtemper (05-22-2022),mth123 (05-20-2022),REDREAD (05-20-2022),Ron Madden (05-20-2022),SirFelixCat (05-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Robot Umps Getting Closer

Yay, perfection!
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Yay! As well for me. (No sarcasm)

But the geek in me wants to know if it is a 3D robo-zone (it should be) or a 2D one (which still should be better than a human one).

It sure looks to be 2D (edit)
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 05-20-2022 at 09:37 AM.

6. Likes:

Chip R (05-20-2022),REDREAD (05-20-2022)

A 3d one would be nice, but I agree, a 2D one would be a massive improvement over what we have today.
    Even if the automated zone is not perfect, at least it will be consistent from game to game.
    Hopefully it translates to higher batting averages across the league.. even if its at the expense of OBP (because IMO, hits are more exciting than walks)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-21-2022),goldglover9 (05-21-2022),JFLegal (05-21-2022)

Why does this song run through my head when I think of robot umpires?

Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

dreghorntwo (05-20-2022),Red Raindog (05-21-2022),REDREAD (05-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

But the geek in me wants to know if it is a 3D robo-zone (it should be) or a 2D one (which still should be better than a human one).

Yeah. What if there's a pitch that misses the corner(s) but happens to clip that back triangle of the plate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'll be the first to admit some home plate umps can stink, but I'm not a fan of this. This will be another step into MLB becoming a sterile lifeless product IMO. They're running off all the old fans and not creating any new ones. I'm fine with replays on close plays at bases other sports have them, but to have a bot calling the biggest chunk of the game just doesn't sit right with me.

13. Likes:

bm1475 (05-20-2022),jimbo (05-20-2022),NCReds (05-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I'll be the first to admit some home plate umps can stink, but I'm not a fan of this. This will be another step into MLB becoming a sterile lifeless product IMO. They're running off all the old fans and not creating any new ones. I'm fine with replays on close plays at bases other sports have them, but to have a bot calling the biggest chunk of the game just doesn't sit right with me.
    It’s coming so I’d just say give it a chance when it comes out. I have a sneaky suspicion most everyone will be glad once it gets put into place.

15. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-21-2022),Ron Madden (05-20-2022),Sassy Sal (05-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    A 3d one would be nice, but I agree, a 2D one would be a massive improvement over what we have today.
    Even if the automated zone is not perfect, at least it will be consistent from game to game.
    Hopefully it translates to higher batting averages across the league.. even if its at the expense of OBP (because IMO, hits are more exciting than walks)
    I'm not sure how an automated strike zone would effect OBP one away or another.

I do believe that it would result in more balls being called balls and more strikes being called strikes, that's good enough for me.

I hate that the strike zone can change from day to day based on the style or the incompetence that days home plate umpire.

17. Likes:

dreghorntwo (05-20-2022),KYExtemper (05-22-2022),Red Raindog (05-21-2022),RedsManRick (05-20-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

It's always been just a 2D plane, hasn't it?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I remember when I was 5 or so. We went to the park and I was sort of bored. But then, suddenly, an umpire called a pitch 3" off the outside corner a strike. It was magic. The next inning he called the exact same pitch a ball. The pitcher got mad an stomped around the mound. It was at that moment I understand the beauty of the human element. I've loved baseball ever since.

Seriously, nobody became a fan of baseball because of the fallibility and inconsistency of human beings calling the balls and strikes. If we had always had a "robo-ump" calling balls and strikes, nobody would be advocating that we let people make the determination of whether the small spinning sphere dancing through the air at 100 mph passed through the invisible, ill-defined, 3D region of space. I'll maintain the affinity for umps calling balls and strikes extends no further than "I like what I'm used to; the machines creep me out."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-21-2022),BoxingRed (05-21-2022),KYExtemper (05-22-2022),Old school 1983 (05-20-2022),REDREAD (05-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It's always been just a 2D plane, hasn't it?
    The rulebook zone includes the 3D region above home plate. In practice, I doubt any umpire is thinking about varying depths of the ball crossing into the zone (though I would be fascinated to learn otherwise).

edit: though I admittedly did not read through this whole article, it seems to suggest that the best representation of the zone as called includes the area over the rectangular portion of home plate (ignoring the triangular portion) - shifted/stretched accordingly in the other 2 dimensions.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-20-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I suspect it's going to add called strikes on balance. There's a lot of room on the corners and down where pitches aren't especially hittable that are going to get appropriately called as strikes now -- especially stuff that nips that area while tailing further out of the zone. Meanwhile, the stuff on the outside edge is, I'm guessing, easier to put in play. So while players will eventually adjust and take more, there is still some incentive for them to chase a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5419deb9eab8ea7c058e9648.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	18335

And it’s not just batters getting rung up or walking on a strike 3 or ball 4.

I saw the other night LA was playing AZ and AZ was down a few but had the bases loaded with no outs. Well on a 1-0 pitch the ump calls a ball well off the plate a strike and turned the AB totally around and LA got out of the inning allowing no runs. The disgraceful call totally messed up that game. (I found the AB it was Buehler vs Luplow if you want to and are able see it)

24. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2022)

Pretty sure the robo ump technology being tested uses a 3d space above home plate.

Edit: I’m wrong, it’s 2d

https://technology.mlblogs.com/devel...s-d4f499deff31

“…but as a general rule, ABS constructs a two-dimensional shape on the x/z plane at a specific depth and checks whether the ball intersects that shape. The ball is modeled as a circle centered at a point along the pitch arc with a radius of 1.45 inches as defined in Rule 3.01 of the Major League Rulebook. The result of the ball/strike evaluation is then relayed to the umpire; “
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 05-20-2022 at 04:32 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?