Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Concert time!

Re: Concert time!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I saw Elton John at St John's Arena at Ohio State way back in the day. I looked up the date and it was Oct. 6 1973. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road had been released the day before (Oct 5) so he played big chunks of it. The problem was, we hadn't heard the album. He led off with Funeral For A Friend and we were like "this is cool, but what is it?". The first encore was Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting and it rocked so hard I thought the old arena was going to fall down. After buying the album the day after the show, it all made more sense.

Saw him with Billy Joel at Ohio Stadium some time in the early 90's. Good show, but my problem is that I saw all the classic bands in their heyday and nothing matches seeing history happen.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elton...-43da8b4b.html
    I saw Elton for the first time 9/26/80 in Lexington. His " 21@33" album had been released and so he played several tracks off of it. I had already played the heck out of that album so I knew all the songs. The show was a lot of fun. I would have loved to have seen an early 70's Elton show but I would have been a bit too young to have fully appreciated it. I wish I could have heard him perform "Curtains"(1976-Captain Fantastic) at one of the live shows I've attended, as it is one of my all-time favorites.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-22-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Jethro Tull was my first. 3rd row center, Thick as a Brick tour. Student lottery on the ticket selection, I couldn't hear for days.
    Saw Jethro Tull in a double feature at the Ohio Theater in the fall of 1970. I don’t recall exactly what albums they had out at the time but it was before they hit the big time with Aqualung. So they were still a bit of a cult band but that’s what I was always looking for. Great show. Went with the future ex-Mrs Tucker.

Opening band was Black Sabbath. Their first album had been released over the summer. My druggy older brother played the snot out of that album. A metal band before there were metal bands. Slabs of over amped riffs, drummer beat the sh*t out of the drums, and Ozzie was pretty good before he became Ozzie.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Saw Black Label Society. 311 is coming to Lexington in September, I'll be there for sure.
    Going to see Black Label Society with Anthrax next month

Great to see everyone attending concerts again.

We saw The Lumineers at Coors Field last night. It was fantastic. They put the stage in deep CF so they could use the OF for seating. Somehow, I was able to get OF tickets and we were only 30 rows from the stage. The entire stadium was packed not counting the seats behind the stage. I’m guessing there were 45,000 in attendance.

On a different note, we weren’t able to see Chris Stapleton….bummer. He had to move the concert date due to the Avalanche playing in the Stanley Cup (same venue). That wasn’t a problem for us, however, he got Covid and had to move the date again. This time it fell on July 4th weekend and we already had plans to visit family at The Lake of the Ozark.

Keep rocking!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Cheap Trick had a break from the Rod Stewert tour and played a headlining show down in Toledo last night, they still have the energy, but Robin Zander's voice is pretty much shot, they have his son playng "rhythm guitar" but he did most of the singing. Glad we went to see them one last time.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (07-31-2022),redhawkfish (07-31-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-05-2022),westofyou (09-22-2022)

I went to two more concerts recently, The Killers and Marcus Mumford. The Killers played at Ball Arena which holds around 20k for concerts. The show was average and seemed like too big of a venture for them. The production wasn’t very good and you couldn’t hear Brandon Flowers voice that well. Overall, it was disappointing.

On the flip side, last night, we saw Marcus Mumford at The Paramount Theatre in downtown Denver. It’s an old school theatre that holds 1,800 people which worked perfectly for his show. Marcus hasn’t quit Mumford and Sons, but he did recently release his own album. Last night, he played some old songs along with his new ones. The show was fantastic and his voice is off the charts good. Here’s a song from the night before at the same place. It’s a slower song, but worth the wait to hear his vocals at the end…..

https://youtu.be/VJaQu_oXORc
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

10. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-08-2023),RichRed (09-22-2022)

Saw Pavement last weekend and they were amazing (per usual)

I've seen Wilco, Pavement, Robert Plant & Allison Krauss, and Phish over the last month.
    School's out. What did you expect?

13. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-16-2022)

I saw Duran Duran and Nile Rodgers/Chic a few weeks back - it wasn't the greatest show I ever saw but it was a lot of fun and the bands all still sounded good.
    Where we gonna go?

15. Likes:

goreds2 (10-18-2022)

Just watched Elton John perform at the White House, as honored guest of the President and First Lady. No, I wasn't there in person. Watched online. Elton opened with "Your Song" and closed with "I'm Still Standing." "Rocket Man," "Tiny Dancer," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," and "Crocoldile Rock" were among the other selections Elton performed. The President surprised Sir Elton by awarding him a humanitarian award.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

17. Likes:

goreds2 (10-18-2022)

I saw Old Crow Medicine Show at an outside show in Indianapolis. They were so good and entertaining I was speechless.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

19. Likes:

RichRed (10-16-2022)

Flaming Lips last night. Not sure you can have a better time than that. Such an amazing spectacle.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-17-2022),westofyou (10-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I saw Old Crow Medicine Show at an outside show in Indianapolis. They were so good and entertaining I was speechless.
    Same reaction I had when I saw them at an outdoor show in Black Mountain (near Asheville) a few years ago. The Devil Makes Three opened for them and were so good, I said Old Crow’s got some work to do to top that. Well, they did it - just a jaw-dropping performance. One of my favorite concerts of all time.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Flaming Lips last night. Not sure you can have a better time than that. Such an amazing spectacle.
    They put on a show

Wait, is James Wiseman good?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?