Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone's Insanely Ridiculous List of the 250 Greatest Guitarists of All-Time

Rolling Stone's Insanely Ridiculous List of the 250 Greatest Guitarists of All-Time

I'm not gonna go on for pages on why this list is so damn bad(and it would take pages) because no one would read it. Just let me leave it at this---
    this Rolling Stone list almost has to be a joke. IT'S THAT BAD!!!

Here's a look(please try not to snicker )

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ts-1234814010/

Let's start at #250... Andy Summers. Really? You mean there are 249 better players than Andy Summers. Absurd.

I bet any of us could could go for an hour listing people that would have to be on this list of the all-time greats. But instead of going on for an hour, I'll leave it up to the posters in this thread to come up with some notable and clearly ridiculous omissions.

I'll get it started and you guys roll with it. But how in anyone's hell do you leave off guys like Neil Schon, Peter Frampton , Tommy Emmanuel, Tom Scholz, Lindsey Buckingham, Glenn Campbell, Roy Clark, Davey Johnstone, Terry Kath.

And, yes, Neil Young is a great singer/songwriter but at #30 of the best guitarists, three spots higher than Brian May. I love Neil but the dude played one note solos. Joni Mitchell was an awesome folk singer. One of the best. But the 9th greatest guitarist? Nancy Wilson(Heart) is way too low at #104 .

Okay... I've got to move on from this for awhile. I'm getting quite bent out of shape thinking about the absurdity of this list. So, what I want to hear from you savants of musical knowledge is this: Who would you have on your top list of guitarists that Rolling Stone omitted? Also, who would be much higher on your list than RS had on its list?
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 10-24-2023 at 05:03 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-24-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolling Stone's Insanely Ridiculous List of the 250 Greatest Guitarists of All-Ti

Joni great guitarist, much, much more than a "folk singer" Heijera proved that.

But #9?

Nah, likewise on Mother Maybell

Re: Rolling Stone's Insanely Ridiculous List of the 250 Greatest Guitarists of All-Ti

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Joni great guitarist, much, much more than a "folk singer" Heijera proved that.

But #9?

Nah, likewise on Mother Maybell

Agree. Joni is a very fine guitarist. But not #9 . I almost have to think that RS does this kind of stuff on purpose. Makes a crazy list to get people wanting to read it and comment on its absurdity. I guess I fell right into their plan.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

So in the last 12 years Clapton fell from 2nd to 35th. Nuff said.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Clickbait is all Rolling Stone has left.

That said, any guitarist list without Tony Rice on it is worth its weight in farts.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

goreds2 (10-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Clickbait is all Rolling Stone has left.

That said, any guitarist list without Tony Rice on it is worth its weight in farts.
    You read my mind. He wasn't the first, but he was the most innovative bluegrass/newgrass guitarist ever. I love Doc, Clarence, and all the up and comers, but no one can touch Tony.

One thing about Maybelle Carter: She released Wildwood Flower about 80 years ago, and it's still usually the first song guitarists learn. My dad even taught it to me when I was seven. There were a few others probably playing a similar style at the time, but it isn't a stretch to say flatpicking started with her.

10. Likes:

Chip R (11-07-2023),WildcatFan (10-26-2023)

Any list that doesn't have Roy Clark among the top ten or twenty best isn't to be taken seriously. Same for Glen Campbell.

More Roy...Live

---- Bill Vaughn

12. Likes:

Chip R (11-07-2023),goreds2 (10-25-2023),pedro (10-25-2023),RedsBaron (10-26-2023),RichRed (11-16-2023)

The Rhinestone Cowboy:

---- Bill Vaughn

14. Likes:

Chip R (11-07-2023),goreds2 (10-25-2023),RedsBaron (10-26-2023)

Are Stuart Adamson, Nils Lofgren or Springsteen on the list anywhere? I gave up wading through.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Are Stuart Adamson, Nils Lofgren or Springsteen on the list anywhere? I gave up wading through.
    Lofgren is like 121 or 131, somewhere in that range.

17. Likes:

klw (10-26-2023)

I didn’t think it was so bad. It was a fresh look at it. Sure I have a lot of quibbles with it but it’s interesting and covers the history of modern guitar players.

Besides the blues guys, the list started in the 50’s. There have been a *lot* of players since then and they tried to take an updated look at it. A lot of the players I didn’t know who they were so it was a refresher for me.

Clapton at #35 was a surprise but, thinking about it, he hasn’t done anything new for 30 years and he just plays the same old riffs over and over. #35 is pretty harsh but it sure generates a lot of discussion.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Any list that doesn't have Roy Clark among the top ten or twenty best isn't to be taken seriously. Same for Glen Campbell.

More Roy...Live

The list locked up on me with adds, but when I saw Vince Gill at 203 I laughed, because he is a beast!

Did Tommy Emmanuel or Mike Dawes make the list? If not, it’s definitely a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Clapton at #35 was a surprise but, thinking about it, he hasn’t done anything new for 30 years .
    Neither has Jimi or Chuck.

22. Likes:

BernieCarbo (10-26-2023),Chip R (11-07-2023),klw (10-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    The list locked up on me with adds, but when I saw Vince Gill at 203 I laughed, because he is a beast!

Did Tommy Emmanuel or Mike Dawes make the list? If not, it’s definitely a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vince Gill is way too low at 202. Vince can play with the best of them. And no, Tommy Emmanuel didn't make the list. So yes, it's a farcical list.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Neither has Jimi or Chuck.
    I don’t know why, but Clapton is always held to some impossible standard. Who consistently comes up with fresh material for six decades? Most creative windows are a decade or less, and even though he brought up 30 years, just 31 years ago he released the best selling live album in music history, and even then he didn’t rest. He could have just carbon copied all of those songs, but he constantly redoes them and plays them differently. And he plays the same riffs? I don’t know, I saw him a couple years ago and he was still killing it and he wasn’t resorting to just playing riffs yet. I can’t think of any guitarist that has had such a consistent career as him.

I think the real issue is that he is a guitarist’s guitarist, and never really tried to be anything else. Even now, when 16 year old kids pick up the guitar, the first thing they want to learn is Clapton, Page, and Hendrix.

Turn Off Ads?