Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Luis Castillo he's 'getting better and better'

Re: Luis Castillo he's 'getting better and better'

Reds will keep him and let him walk...it's all about the Comp picks...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    One got to pitch primarily at Citi Field, the other in GABP. Look at their adjusted stats.

I'll just use ERA+ because it's easier to break down stats by team on baseball reference than it is fangraphs: Castillo is 124. Wheeler with the Mets is 100.
    So Wheeler is as good as Gutierrez who had a 101 ERA+ last year
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 06-01-2022 at 01:47 PM.

I'm not sure if it's still a thing or not, but doesn't Castillo struggle to pitch in the cold? If so, aren't the playoffs typically going on when it's cold? That would be my biggest hang-up.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Castillo is a "headcase" IMO I would not throw money at him. Maybe some dumb GM would overspend on him. Castillo has never been consistent he has stretches where is great and other stretches of mediocre. He pitches well when he is "comfortable".
    wut

Castillo is as cool a pitcher as the Reds have had in years.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

So Wheeler is as good as Gutierrez who had a 101 ERA+ last year
    You're not making an apples to apples comparison, but you know that already.

Sample size, trajectory, etc. matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    You're not making an apples to apples comparison, but you know that already.

Sample size, trajectory, etc. matter.
    What I have a problem with is park effects. It is a function more of the teams and players than the Park itself just go to baseball reference and see how wild the part affect of GABP has changed when the park itself has not changed. It has gone from high 90's to well over 110.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Castillo is not a head case
    i agree. i made the mistake of saying this about him early last year. the more i've learned about him, he's far from a headcase. and i apologize for ever calling him one.

he actually has a very good head on his shoulders and is a good guy. and of course, a hell of a pitcher.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-01-2022),fondfoat (06-02-2022),Ron Madden (06-01-2022)

Castillo is a "headcase" IMO I would not throw money at him. Maybe some dumb GM would overspend on him. Castillo has never been consistent he has stretches where is great and other stretches of mediocre. He pitches well when he is "comfortable".
    Aren't you the guy who kept saying he was the next Jumbo Diaz? lol

Hey, sometimes we are all wrong. But there comes a time to admit it and adjust our argument based on the latest info we have.

Regarding the contract...the Reds have literally no money committed in 2024 (outside of possible buyouts), and likely pay flex for 2023 as well. So they can certainly afford to pay Castillo. And he is good and has been durable to this point.

But those big deals for pitchers so rarely work out for non-elite (I mean Verlander and peers) that I would be pretty hesitant outside of a "hometown" discount. Extending pitchers well into their 30's is just playing with fire.

To me it all depends on the details. Reasonable contract extension I would do, if there is a great trade return on the table (I mean top-shelf prospects) I take that, if there are no noteworthy returns available and the contract demands are very high, I would be tempted to hold onto him for the moment (that 2023 rotation could be interesting with him and/or Malhe plus a more seasoned Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft/ect).
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 06-01-2022 at 04:51 PM.

13. Likes:

Chip R (06-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Reds will keep him and let him walk...it's all about the Comp picks...
    Aren’t those gone?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Aren’t those gone?
    Shhh

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt

Since Luis Castillo returned to the rotation on 5/9, Reds SP have a 3.47 ERA (9th in MLB) and opponents are hitting .198 against them, best in MLB.

They're getting just under 5⅔ IP from their starters during that span, 6th highest in MLB.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (06-02-2022)

Something obviously about Castillo you just don't gel with. I think you will find, however, that there must be a lot of dumb GMs out there. I will also add, that he will go, and he will go for a lot. The Reds will never get close to offering what he is worth, and they won't try to.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Regarding the contract...the Reds have literally no money committed in 2024 (outside of possible buyouts), and likely pay flex for 2023 as well. So they can certainly afford to pay Castillo. And he is good and has been durable to this point.

But those big deals for pitchers so rarely work out for non-elite (I mean Verlander and peers) that I would be pretty hesitant outside of a "hometown" discount. Extending pitchers well into their 30's is just playing with fire.

To me it all depends on the details. Reasonable contract extension I would do, if there is a great trade return on the table (I mean top-shelf prospects) I take that, if there are no noteworthy returns available and the contract demands are very high, I would be tempted to hold onto him for the moment (that 2023 rotation could be interesting with him and/or Malhe plus a more seasoned Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft/ect).
    No way do you extend Castillo to a contract extension. The Reds struck gold by trading Strailey for Castillo and now can turn him over and keep stockpiling young talent.

20. Likes:

Chip R (06-02-2022),Old school 1983 (06-02-2022)

Todays game has me pretty convinced that the issue with Luis is that he simply doesn’t have the “dawg” in him. I think he’s competitive but I think he takes an attitude of “whatever happens happens”, which is fair enough given how hard pitching is but for someone with his talent and raw stuff it really is a bit absurd that he struggles to keep his ERA under 4.00

Maybe if he goes to NYC or LA he’ll be the same guy, but if someone could motivate him to feel like he should be the modern Pedro and untouchable and runs scored against him should hurt his feelings, than I really think you’d have something.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

westofyou (06-05-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?