Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Luis Castillo he's 'getting better and better'

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Luis Castillo he's 'getting better and better'

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Todays game has me pretty convinced that the issue with Luis is that he simply doesn’t have the “dawg” in him. I think he’s competitive but I think he takes an attitude of “whatever happens happens”, which is fair enough given how hard pitching is but for someone with his talent and raw stuff it really is a bit absurd that he struggles to keep his ERA under 4.00

Maybe if he goes to NYC or LA he’ll be the same guy, but if someone could motivate him to feel like he should be the modern Pedro and untouchable and runs scored against him should hurt his feelings, than I really think you’d have something.
    Yeah I wouldn’t go so far to call him a headcase as was stated earlier in the thread, but he does seem to be missing the mental edge in his game. I know there’s been a fair few starts where he’s unraveled after not getting some close calls or having runners reach base. That’s one of the reasons I would be opposed to giving him a big LTC.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 06-05-2022 at 05:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah I wouldn’t go so far to call him a headcase as was stated earlier in the thread, but he does seem to be missing the mental edge in his game. I know there’s been a fair few starts where he’s unraveled after not getting some close calls or having runners reach base. That’s one of the reasons I would be opposed to giving him a big LTC.
    Yeah I don't think "headcase" or "he doesn't care" are accurate criticisms, but like you said it's that missing edge that I think prevents him from being as good as he's certainly capable of.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-05-2022)

Yeah I don't think "headcase" or "he doesn't care" are accurate criticisms, but like you said it's that missing edge that I think prevents him from being as good as he's certainly capable of.
    He grins from ear to ear no matter how much he loses, hey the check is still coming. screw the win and the fans

I know the topic is the third rail for some as we really don’t know of this is true or not…

But there are times where I worry that this organization has/had too many “aloof” and/or “easy-going” players over the years. I’m not gonna name names cause I think we all could and it would be speculation - and while it may be said that the attitude is similar in other organizations, maybe the market inefficiency for cheap/small-market Cincy to pounce on is to seek out some high-strung meanies to scare up some wins. Maybe Pham fits that mold?

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-06-2022)

In today’s Enquirer, Krall stated the plan is to “stockpile pitchers and develop arms”. They aren’t going to extend Castillo and they aren’t going to be raising payroll. Once Votto and Moose are off the books, they’re going to be the Pirates payroll wise.

- - - Updated - - -

In today’s Enquirer, Krall stated the plan is to “stockpile pitchers and develop arms”. They aren’t going to extend Castillo and they aren’t going to be raising payroll. Once Votto and Moose are off the books, they’re going to be the Pirates payroll wise.

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    He grins from ear to ear no matter how much he loses, hey the check is still coming. screw the win and the fans
    yeah see this is the dumb guy take that I totally disagree with. I don't think he owes me ****, he takes the ball every 5th day and works hard. I just think he's short changing himself by not adopting more of the Scherzer "this mound is my home" attitude.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Mitri (06-05-2022),Revering4Blue (06-05-2022),Ron Madden (06-05-2022)

We need to make sure we’re letting things come to us and not trying to force decisions to make our big-league club better. That’s why sometimes it takes more patience to wait on the draft-and-develop guys."
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ay/7491415001/
    Last edited by LeatherPants; 06-05-2022 at 05:31 PM.

double post, ho hum

yeah see this is the dumb guy take that I totally disagree with. I don't think he owes me ****, he takes the ball every 5th day and works hard. I just think he's short changing himself by not adopting more of the Scherzer "this mound is my home" attitude.
    Yeah in my post above it’s not that I think the symptom is guys thinking “I got mine, screw it if we lose.” I just think too many player may be of the “chill” type.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-05-2022),Tom Servo (06-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Maybe they ought to deal his butt and get that grin off his face. Give him some humility. I'm sorry, but 110 pitches in six innings against a terrible team, is not proving you belong in the big leagues. He can have all the fancy stuff in the world, for all I care. As a Reds fan I'm tired of the coddling.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Both Votto and Moose could do the right thing and already be off the books. I know that I would, because I have integrity and know when to walk away when I'm not getting the job done. But, yeah, their built-in excuse is "players union won't allow us".

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Both Votto and Moose could do the right thing and already be off the books. I know that I would, because I have integrity and know when to walk away when I'm not getting the job done. But, yeah, their built-in excuse is "players union won't allow us".

18. Likes:

fondfoat (06-05-2022),M2 (06-05-2022),Ron Madden (06-05-2022),WildcatFan (06-06-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Maybe they ought to deal his butt and get that grin off his face. Give him some humility. I'm sorry, but 110 pitches in six innings against a terrible team, is not proving you belong in the big leagues. He can have all the fancy stuff in the world, for all I care. As a Reds fan I'm tired of the coddling.
    I was pretty stoked when I saw you were leaving, shame that’s apparently not happening anymore

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-05-2022)

GTFO with this crap.

- - - Updated - - -

GTFO with this crap.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I was pretty stoked when I saw you were leaving, shame that’s apparently not happening anymore
    Why were you stoked? Because you don't like honest opinions? Because you don't like hearing venting from a Reds fan who is tired of the status quo and having guys on the team who are just laughing to the bank, going through the motions? I'll never understand how some fans aren't okay with the presence of passionate fans. Passionate fans are not gullible fans, or okay with "get'em next year". What Phil said was totally wrong, and he's at the top, and that's where the crap starts. That stuff trickles down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    GTFO with this crap.

- - - Updated - - -

GTFO with this crap.
    Why do you say it's crap? It's exactly what I would do. Are you suggesting that the players union doesn't have a hand in the Reds current payroll situation? Be honest.

Turn Off Ads?