Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 210

Thread: The New “The Trade” Results

  1. #1
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    16,846

    The New “The Trade” Results

    Winker has had a rough start to the season and really isn’t improving much as it goes on. -0.4 bWAR, .630 OPS

    Suarez has been better than he was last year. 0.6 bWAR, .750 OPS. Still striking out a ton.

    Fraley has been horrible and now injured

    Dunn has been injured, apparently might be back in July? I’m interested to see what he has if/when he’s healthy

    Williamson has been a disappointment so far, starting to show some flashes. Very good his last outing.

    Connor Phillips has been absolutely phenomenal in Dayton. Throwing 96-97 mph fastballs with looney tunes breaking stuff. Minor leaguers haven’t had a chance against him so far. In his last 22 innings pitched he has 40 strikeouts, very few walks, and a sparkling ERA. Last night he had 13 K and 0 BB. I am not exaggerating when I say he looks like a young Josh Beckett out there. Throws the FB and breaking stuff from an identical arm slot. High A hitters do not have a chance against him right now. Might have something here.

    I checked out the Mariners subforum on Reddit this morning and the fans are furious. A lot of people complaining about Dipoto: “classic Trader Dipoto, buy high on trade market and ignore the free agent market.” They seem just upset as us Reds fans with that trade.

    With that said, Kelenic was sent down to AAA after a horrendous start to the season and Dipoto was just quoted last night saying he’s going to be in the minors for awhile, this isn’t going to be a quick trip to the minors. If I’m Krall I’m calling them up right now and offering Mahle for Kelenic and a top 30 pitching prospect.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-21-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  2. Likes:

    Redsfaithful (05-21-2022),Rowsdower (05-21-2022)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,420

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Winker has had a rough start to the season and really isn’t improving much as it goes on. -0.4 bWAR, .630 OPS

    Suarez has been better than he was last year. 0.6 bWAR, .750 OPS. Still striking out a ton.

    Fraley has been horrible and now injured

    Dunn has been injured, apparently might be back in July? I’m interested to see what he has if/when he’s healthy

    Williamson has been a disappointment so far, starting to show some flashes. Very good his last outing.

    Connor Phillips has been absolutely phenomenal in Dayton. Throwing 96-97 mph fastballs with looney tunes breaking stuff. Minor leaguers haven’t had a chance against him so far. In his last 22 innings pitched he has 40 strikeouts, very few walks, and a sparkling ERA. Last night he had 13 K and 0 BB. I am not exaggerating when I say he looks like a young Josh Beckett out there. Throws the FB and breaking stuff from an identical arm slot. High A hitters do not have a chance against him right now. Might have something here.

    I checked out the Mariners subforum on Reddit this morning and the fans are furious. A lot of people complaining about Dipoto: “classic Trader Dipoto, buy high on trade market and ignore the free agent market.” They seem just upset as us Reds fans with that trade.

    With that said, Kelenic was sent down to AAA after a horrendous start to the season and Dipoto was just quoted last night saying he’s going to be in the minors for awhile, this isn’t going to be a quick trip to the minors. If I’m Krall I’m calling them up right now and offering Mahle for Kelenic and a top 30 pitching prospect.
    I have to disagree that Winker isn't improving. After a .523 OPS in April, he is OPSing .732 in May and has reached base in 12 straight games. Far from expectations but definitely improving

  5. Likes:

    Ron Madden (05-21-2022)

  6. #3
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    16,846

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I have to disagree that Winker isn't improving. After a .523 OPS in April, he is OPSing .732 in May and has reached base in 12 straight games. Far from expectations but definitely improving
    “Isn’t really improving much” being the key words
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,420

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    “Isn’t really improving much” being the key words
    A .200+ OPS improvement is "much" to me but to each his own

  8. Likes:

    membengal (05-22-2022),Ron Madden (05-21-2022)

  9. #5
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    15,638

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    We're just over one month into the season, still way too early for any accurate evaluation of the trade in my humble opinion.

  10. Likes:

    CaiGuy (05-21-2022),cumberlandreds (05-21-2022),HokieRed (05-21-2022),Joeyjection19 (05-22-2022),mth123 (05-22-2022),Rowsdower (05-21-2022),Since 1954 (05-26-2022)

  11. #6
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    16,846

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We're just over one month into the season, still way too early for any accurate evaluation of the trade in my humble opinion.
    I certainly wasn’t saying the trade was settled, just figured a thread to track all players involved was worthwhile

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    A .200+ OPS improvement is "much" to me but to each his own
    Well, I don’t know if it’s mathematically possible for a major league regular not to improve quite a bit from a .500 OPS, but sure.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  12. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (05-22-2022)

  13. #7
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,239

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    I think Fraley has been playing hurt. I wasn’t expecting him to be more than a platoon guy, but I think he’s better than he’s shown.

    Williamson has been disappointing, but I think he at least ends up being an MLB reliever.

    I’ve been watching more Connor Phillips highlights. His fastball is great and his breaking stuff is filthy. I’ll be more excited once he crosses that AA threshold though. But the arm looks to have some potential.

    Dunn is a wildcard to me. Potential 4-5 starter on the cheap has value though.

    IMO even if one of those guys becomes a 4-5 starter for the Reds for 3-4 seasons, they win the trade walking away.

  14. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,420

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, I don’t know if it’s mathematically possible for a major league regular not to improve quite a bit from a .500 OPS, but sure.
    I said he wasn't meeting expectations but much improved but you are determined to dig in here so this seems like a good place to leave it

  15. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    52,966

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Mariners have BP problems and Winker's no show have them aching for Haniger to return soon. Kelenic cratering has really hurt their start, he and Winker were supposed to be their their big LH guys and them not being there is a big hole

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,883

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    williamson has been pretty good lately. i like the return for the reds (meaning just phillips and williamson since we all know fraley & dunn were nothing more than throw-ins).

    also, how in the world was phillips the "player to be named later" when he's the best player the reds got in the deal? when does that ever happen? almost always, the PTBNL is a throw-in/lottery ticket type. we all (myself included) laughed when krall said they also liked the player to be named later in the deal. if he knew it was phillips, why wasn't phillips just included in the original deal? why was he a PTBNL? so strange. but bottom line, i think we might look back on getting phillips and williamson for winker and geno as a very good trade for the reds.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 05-21-2022 at 11:52 AM.

  17. Likes:

    malcontent (05-21-2022)

  18. #11
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    52,966

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Amir Garrett has been doing well, he's only allowed 3 hits in 12.1 IP, but has walked 10 (K'd 12) But he's not a polished hurler by any stretch. He also has a hit batter, balk and three wild pitches.

  19. #12
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    8,302

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    IMO even if one of those guys becomes a 4-5 starter for the Reds for 3-4 seasons, they win the trade walking away.
    So you're fine with trading an All-Star and a starting 3B for a BOR starter?

  20. #13
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,239

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    So you're fine with trading an All-Star and a starting 3B for a BOR starter?
    You’re ignoring the years of control and the fact that Suarez has been terrible outside of a couple months for the past 2 years. They get 2 years of Winker and 3 years of Suarez. 3-4 years of a steady 4-5 starter is probably 6-9 WAR if you take 2-3 WAR as a good BOR starter. I think that’s about what you can expect out of Winker and Suarez over the life of the deal. Unles Suarez turns back into 2019 Suarez.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-21-2022 at 12:22 PM.

  21. #14
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    33,981

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Winker should be ok but it’s tough hitting in Seattle, I wouldn’t be shocked if his OPS on the year never goes above .800

    Suarez seems like he has bounced back some but I think an OPS around .750 is the most you could hope for by the end of the year. He’s like a later career Jay Bruce.

    Hopefully Brandon Williamson and Connor Phillips are good because I don’t see Dunn and Fraley doing anything.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  22. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (05-21-2022),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2022),Rowsdower (05-21-2022)

  23. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: The New “The Trade” Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We're just over one month into the season, still way too early for any accurate evaluation of the trade in my humble opinion.
    It'll be years before we know who "won" the deal, but I like Williamson's chances of being a decent MLB starter, and Phillips is completely over matching A+ hitters at a just turned 21 years old.

  24. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (05-21-2022)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator