Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Isiah Gilliam

Isiah Gilliam

I think it's time we had a thread about this guy. He's mashing at AA, but he'll be 26 in July and is a little old for his level. He was drafted by the Yankees in 2015 and the Reds signed him as a still young enough minor league FA this winter. So, my question for anyone who may know, is this a guy to start thinking about for a big-league role or is it just a career minor leaguer having a good year? I think he's a long shot, but it's well past time for the Reds to jump him to AAA and see what happens. There is no one there to block him IMO and plenty of filler to cut loose to make room.

What does Redszone know about this guy? Any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-27-2022 at 10:42 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Isiah Gilliam

On just a quick look at his stats/history, it looks like the primary issue with Gilliam is the pretty consistent 30% K rate without enough power to justify it. Interesting to me is that this year his splits have diverged from previous seasons: he's way out producing as a LHer this year, which has not been the case in past years. Might be he should go full-time left. Given the weakness of the Lousiville roster, I;m sure he'll get a shot soon. But if he can't cut the K rate, the upside looks pretty limited to me.

4. Likes:

mth123 (05-27-2022)

I found this evaluation of his prowess (or lack thereof) on defense from prospectslive.com It is not encouraging at all.

Field: Below-average defender. Lacks instincts; speed limits range and closing speeds. Jumps are often late; routes get wide at times and adventurous on balls hit over his head; struggles coming in on the ball. Plays hard and gives max effort on defense, just doesn't have natural ability. Grade: 40

6. Likes:

mth123 (05-27-2022),RED VAN HOT (05-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I found this evaluation of his prowess (or lack thereof) on defense from prospectslive.com It is not encouraging at all.
    The 4-5 games I've watched I've seen a few balls hit to him. He's not a butcher out there. I'd say he's comparable to Winkler.

8. Likes:

mth123 (05-27-2022),texasdave (05-27-2022)

Knowing very little about him, Max Venable comes to mind as a comp. I'd be OK with that on the bench for a minor league deal and no talent expended.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

icehole3 (05-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    The 4-5 games I've watched I've seen a few balls hit to him. He's not a butcher out there. I'd say he's comparable to Winkler.
    But Jesse Winker was one of the worst outfielders the Reds have out in the field in 50 years. I’m curious, who do you rate as worse than Winker?

Looking at the stats the thing that stands out to me is the .774 OPS vs older pitchers in AA. He's a near 26 year old beating up younger pitchers(.987 ops) in AA. I say move him up to AAA and see what happens. If his OPS is well over .800 there then maybe you have something, but I need to see what he can do in AAA before thinking anything could translate to the bigs.

13. Likes:

mth123 (05-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    But Jesse Winker was one of the worst outfielders the Reds have out in the field in 50 years. I’m curious, who do you rate as worse than Winker?
    Jonny Gomes
    Adam Dunn
    Kevin Mitchell

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-29-2022)

Jonny Gomes
    Adam Dunn
    Kevin Mitchell
    Kal Daniels
    Richie Scheinblum
    Ken Griffey JR for a few years in CF

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-29-2022)

If you're talking bad outfielders, the list starts with Alex Johnson

Jonny Gomes
    Adam Dunn
    Kevin Mitchell
    Mitchell was non-Chalant out there, but he did make that bare handed catch on a ball he misjudged. Winker is just a poor athlete. Slow movement and weak arm. Dunn had a pretty weak arm too, which surprised me as he was a HS QB.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Kal Daniels
    Richie Scheinblum
    Ken Griffey JR for a few years in CF
    KG JR worse than Winker? That is pretty brutal. Wait until you get old. Hope no one rips you like that.
    Saw Willie Mays play for the Mets in 1973 when he was old. He definitely couldn’t move like he did in the 1950s but still never forgot seeing him live. But you wouldn’t appreciate that, I suppose. You would have booed him.

KG JR worse than Winker? That is pretty brutal. Wait until you get old. Hope no one rips you like that.
    Saw Willie Mays play for the Mets in 1973 when he was old. He definitely couldn’t move like he did in the 1950s but still never forgot seeing him live. But you wouldn’t appreciate that, I suppose. You would have booed him.
    When Griffey was playing CF in 2003 - 2005 timeframe, I thought he was the worst OF I ever saw. Worse than Dunn or any of those others. Guy couldn't move and everything was a hit unless it was right to him. It wasn't ugly with misjudged fly balls or stuff bouncing off his glove like those other guys, but he was the biggest liability IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    When Griffey was playing CF in 2003 - 2005 timeframe, I thought he was the worst OF I ever saw. Worse than Dunn or any of those others. Guy couldn't move and everything was a hit unless it was right to him. It wasn't ugly with misjudged fly balls or stuff bouncing off his glove like those other guys, but he was the biggest liability IMO.
    I remember some pretty limited defensive coverage of CF by Griffey around that time. If memory serves me, didn’t he insist on playing the position, even though he didn’t have the range?

I remember some pretty limited defensive coverage of CF by Griffey around that time. If memory serves me, didn’t he insist on playing the position, even though he didn’t have the range?
    I think I remember they moved him to RF in 2006 or 2007. I don't know if he insisted on CF or if the Reds just let him play there because of his "status" They traded Kearns in 2006. He may have moved to RF in 2007 after Kearns was gone.

Turn Off Ads?