Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Graham Ashcraft

Re: Graham Ashcraft

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And only two have a K rate below 7, which underscores the point that Ashcraft (5.8 K/9) needs to up his K rate.
    It's in Mike Leake territory now and that's 2012 Leake

A 5.8 in today's game is a 4.8 twenty years ago.

That's Lance Davis country

2. Turn Off Ads?

And only two have a K rate below 7, which underscores the point that Ashcraft (5.8 K/9) needs to up his K rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How many are below 6?

0, the answer is 0.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...=9,d&page=5_50

18 out of the 36 MLB starting pitchers with K rates below 7 have an ERA below 4.

6 out of the 9 MLB starting pitcher with K rates below 6 have an ERA below 4.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I will add this. If they outlaw the shift, everything changes, and K’s will become more important again.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...=9,d&page=5_50

18 out of the 36 MLB starting pitchers with K rates below 7 have an ERA below 4.

6 out of the 9 MLB starting pitcher with K rates below 6 have an ERA below 4.
    And only 6 of the 36 have a FIP under 4.00. All you've done is find a sub-group riding pitching luck that won't extend very far. The point with Ashcraft is we should want him to be good. He doesn't need to be a strikeout artist to be a good pitcher (you are correct that a low exit velo would allow him to carry a below average K rate), but his current K rate is below sustainable. The more telling thing in your random innings selection is the low K guys only make up 24% of the sample. The lesson here ought to be better pitchers have some K abilities.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Get the K rate up to 7.5/9 while keeping the BB rate under 2.3 (currently he is sub-2) and we've got something.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm not worried so much about his K rate with his extreme ground ball tendencies. When he gets ground balls, he's good. When he doesn't, he isn't. Of course a higher K rate is desirable but I think he's uniquely equipped to have a below average K rate

8. Likes:

757690 (07-01-2022),Old school 1983 (07-01-2022)

And only 6 of the 36 have a FIP under 4.00. All you've done is find a sub-group riding pitching luck that won't extend very far. The point with Ashcraft is we should want him to be good. He doesn't need to be a strikeout artist to be a good pitcher (you are correct that a low exit velo would allow him to carry a below average K rate), but his current K rate is below sustainable. The more telling thing in your random innings selection is the low K guys only make up 24% of the sample. The lesson here ought to be better pitchers have some K abilities.
    I was told that Ashcraft couldn’t succeed with a low K rate. I showed that there are many pitchers these days who succeed with a low K rate, some with ones lower than his.

Of course he is more likely to succeed long term if he strikes out more hitters. But not striking out a ton of hitters doesn’t mean he will never be good.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Folks, he JUST whiffed 8 giants in his second start against them this year. in the start RIGHT BEFORE this one. This is really his first bad outing. Can we maybe just once have a little effin' perspective? ffs.
    Are you suggesting that young pitchers without much major league experience can be wildly inconsistent from start to start?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

M2 (07-02-2022),membengal (07-02-2022),Old school 1983 (07-02-2022),Tony Cloninger (07-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Are you suggesting that young pitchers without much major league experience can be wildly inconsistent from start to start?
    I mean, really. Just crazy talk, right?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

13. Likes:

Roy Tucker (07-03-2022),WrongVerb (07-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I will add this. If they outlaw the shift, everything changes, and K’s will become more important again.
    I think there's a lot of people drooling at the thought of baseball being a "gut feeling" game again and not this simulator that is 2022 ball. The commissioner is determined to kill any suspense in the game with robot umpires, but that's a whole nuther issue.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    The commissioner is determined to kill any suspense in the game with robot umpires, but that's a whole nuther issue.
    The suspense of whether the near-sighted guy behind the plate will get the call right? Yeah, that's sure to chase everyone once they get rid of that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-03-2022),dreghorntwo (07-03-2022),Tony Cloninger (07-03-2022),Wonderful Monds (07-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I think there's a lot of people drooling at the thought of baseball being a "gut feeling" game again and not this simulator that is 2022 ball. The commissioner is determined to kill any suspense in the game with robot umpires, but that's a whole nuther issue.
    I don’t want suspense with balls and strikes. You want the right call. Reduces pitchers throwing more pitches because the umps zone goes smaller as the game goes or Inconsistent. Hitters having to swing the bat more because pitchers now know where the strike will be. Teams or players not getting the benefits of calls. I read about a catcher who worried about the art of pitch framing. If I want to see art I’ll go to a Picasso exhibit. These catchers who get calls on balls and fool umpires can go and figure out other ways to call a game.

18. Likes:

dreghorntwo (07-03-2022)

10 hits, 0 BB, 1 strikeout, 2 ER is legit wild.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

M2 (08-03-2022)

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent

Ashcraft's line 8.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 Ks, 107 pitches, 75 strikes. He also gets the W.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

David Bell on rookie Graham Ashcraft: "Even when things haven’t gone perfectly for him, he has done a nice job of learning."

"He’s very driven to be one of the best pitchers in the game. It showed tonight. He’s not far off from that already at this stage of his career."

Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-03-2022 at 01:29 AM.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-03-2022),Tom Servo (08-03-2022)

I think this three headed pitching front for the Reds could be quite good sooner than later. I’m bullish that the window to compete is nearer than we realize for that reason alone.

24. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2022),mth123 (08-03-2022),Old school 1983 (08-03-2022),Ron Madden (08-03-2022),sdwagers (08-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?